Oakland Series II

Frobby

50 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

We’ve got folks here that make it sound like they’ll commit hare kari after a scoreless third inning.

Nothing brings out the crazy more than… the Orioles being successful. It’s truly astounding.

True, but we had plenty of crazy when the team stunk. I think, on balance, I prefer the 2023 version of crazy.

We need to sweep. Oakland is a bad team that's 50 games under .500, and we should be taking every advantage of that. Winning 2 of 3 would be meh, and losing the series outright would be a kick in the teeth. If the Orioles have designs on a 2023 pennant then it's time to put up or shut up.  

44 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

We need to sweep. Oakland is a bad team that's 50 games under .500, and we should be taking every advantage of that. Winning 2 of 3 would be meh, and losing the series outright would be a kick in the teeth. If the Orioles have designs on a 2023 pennant then it's time to put up or shut up.  

I feel this way too. They’re not just bad; they’re historically bad. They may end up with a worse record than us in 2018. 

If there’s any team in baseball that will break the sweepless streak…it’d be the 2023 Oakland Athletics. 
It’s unfortunate they’re going in while on a tough stretch of not so great baseball…this can either be a chance to get back to their winning ways or it can be the twist of the knife after a couple poor series.

2 hours ago, oriole said:

If there’s any team in baseball that will break the sweepless streak…it’d be the 2023 Oakland Athletics. 
It’s unfortunate they’re going in while on a tough stretch of not so great baseball…this can either be a chance to get back to their winning ways or it can be the twist of the knife after a couple poor series.

We should be happy that 5-5 in our last ten and a 3-3 west coast trip constitutes a “tough stretch of not-so-great baseball”.

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

Are Oakland’s starters confirmed? MLB says TBD for all three days. Someone said it was Medina, Waldichuck, and Sears. Where is that info?

When I posted that in the OP, it was an assumption on my part based on whose turn in the rotation it appeared to be.  FWIW, my morning newspaper thinks it’s Gibson vs. Medina tonight, which is what I expected.  

22 hours ago, Frobby said:

I always find it funny when people say losing a series to a lesser team would be “unacceptable.”   Really?  If the O’s lose this series, what are you going to do?  Stop watching?  Stop going to games?  Give up on our season?  Should Hyde send the whole team to Norfolk?  

Oakland beat Atlanta 2 games to 1 this year, and swept the Brewers 3-0.  Are those teams disqualified from the playoffs for their “unacceptable” losses to Oakland.  

It would be very disappointing to lose this series.  It would hardly be unprecedented, and the season will go on either way.  I’m not planning on the team committing hare kari if they lose.  

I dont call it unacceptable....I do call it(when we lose to lesser teams) disappointing...Look, I always feel the Orioles play down to the level of their weakest opponent...dont know why but it feels that way...and to be honest, growing up in a time when the Orioles lost TWO World Series after having led 3 game to 1...I became a lifelong skeptic...and I never take anything for granted any more...

10 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I  was going to say the same thing.  Any team 50 games under .500  is a prime target to be swept even in their own back yard.  You aim for 2 of  3  or better from good teams.    You aim to sweep a poor team like this.    Anything less than that shows a lack of the killer instinct,  and questions just how far they will go in the post season.