Musical Chairs for the O's pitching staff

wildcard

You know the old game of Musical Chairs.  Each round a chair gets pulled and whoever does not have a seat when the music stops is out.   The O's could be approaching that scenario.  

The pitcher added on Tuesday seems pretty cut and dried.   Voth is finished his rehab.  He pitched pretty well at Norfolk going up to 3 scoreless innings.   He gets activated.  Vespi gets optioned and Akin goes to the 60 day IL to make room on the 40 man roster.   I could be wrong but that is what it looks like to me.

The next move should be happening on or about Friday August 25th.   Coulombe is eligible to come off the 15 day IL.   It has been reported by Hyde that he is expecting him to  be added to the pen as soon as he is eligible.  One of the top lefties in the pen I believe it.  But who goes?   Musical Chairs.   It not obvious to me.   Someone with options which includes:  Baumann or Fuji.   It could be someone sent to the IL.   Like maybe Gibson for a tired arm if he does not do well in his next start.   

Next up after that should be Hall on Sept 1st when rosters expand.

Edited by wildcard

I thought maybe Irvin goes down after his start last night to get a fresh arm in the pen.  He won’t be available til at least Thursday so possibly get that fresh arm in Voth as long man.  Day off so no need for a sixth starter get everyone a start on turn again before rosters expand.   Then Coulumbe comes up for Vespi and just switch out lefties.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I'm not sure Fuji has an option but in any case I'd be willing to release him.   If it were up to me, I'd add both Voth and DL Hall on Tuesday.  

Fangraphs says Fuji has 3 options.

Edited by wildcard

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You know the old game of Musical Chairs.  Each round a chair gets pulled and whoever does not have a seat when the music stops is out.   The O's could be approaching that scenario.  

The pitcher added on Tuesday seems pretty cut and dried.   Voth is finished his rehab.  He pitched pretty well at Norfolk going up to 3 scoreless innings.   He gets activated.  Vespi get optioned and Akin goes to the 60 day IL to make room on the 40 man roster.   I could be wrong but that is what it looks like to me.

The next move should be happening on or about Friday August 25th.   Coulombe is eligible to come off the 15 day IL.   It has been reported by Hyde that he is expects him to  be added to the pen as soon as he is eligible.  One of the top lefties in the pen I believe it.  But who goes?   Musical Chairs.   It not obvious to me.   Someone with options which includes:  Baumann or Fuji.   It could be someone sent to the IL.   Like maybe Gibson for a tired arm if he does not do well in his next start.   

Next up after that should be Hall on Sept 1st when rosters expand.

The pen could get really crowded assuming that Hall, Wells and Means are activated. Only one of the two expanded roster spots can go to a pitcher IIRC. I think Fuji and Vespi/Whoever go. 

Edited by MCO'sFan

• wildcard changed the title to Musical Chairs for the O's pitching staff
7 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I'm not sure Fuji has an option but in any case I'd be willing to release him.   If it were up to me, I'd add both Voth and DL Hall on Tuesday.  

I don’t care about Voth but assuming he is healthy, I’d get Hall here first. 

7 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Means up to 4 innings last night, 57 pitches. If they are stretching him out to start, it might be a while. If he is going to the pen, his time could be soon. Who goes then?

It was today but they seem to be going 15 more pitches east start.  He was on for 30 first start 45 his second start came out mid batter then guessing60 was limit today but finished inning at 57 and didn’t want him coming back out.   I am guessing they will have him at about 70-75 next start on the 25th then one more at 85-90 on the 30th which will put him on for rosters expand.  

16 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

The pen could get really crowded assuming that Hall, Wells and Means are activated. Only one of the two expanded roster spots can go to a pitcher IIRC. I think Fuji and Vespi/Whoever go. 

I understand that they wanted to keep from teams bringing up too many guys but I think they went to far in it just being 28 guys.  It hurts teams like us who don’t have those big time veteran pitchers that eat innings but have lot of depth.   We might have guys running on fumes by the time the playoffs get here without real ability to add reinforcements.  I think a good number would be 30 with 2 or 3 being pitchers.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Means can take a long time on rehab because he's coming back from a major injury, right?  I would be surprised to see him before Sept 1st.

Means rehab assignment can be up to 30 days.   He started his rehab on August 10th.  So he has until Sept 9th.  But it could be before the if he does well.

• Upvote 1