John Angelos continues to remind us how awful he is

Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

They already did the hardest thing. Tricked you and everyone else into repeating this "small market" bulls#$%^& over and over again. When did this start? Very recently. Angelos wins, again. And the fans just lose, because they enjoy being walked all over and not doing a darn thing about it. You are being played.  Angelos could tell you all they lose money every year and you will all believe it. Because you WANT to believe it. You WANT to believe they are scraping pennies off the marble MASN floors.  You WANT to believe that when it comes time to hand out contracts it will happen. You WANT to believe that slashing spending was "part of the plan". Only you didn't realize that this was going to be the "plan"......forever. Wake the #$%^& up. 

I don't think you've read many of Can's posts if you think that his opinion.

By this time, just about everyone knows that the Orioles are not a poor, penny-pinching team.  Everyone knows the team makes a lot of money and chooses not to spend it.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

They already did the hardest thing. Tricked you and everyone else into repeating this "small market" bulls#$%^& over and over again. When did this start? Very recently. Angelos wins, again. And the fans just lose, because they enjoy being walked all over and not doing a darn thing about it. You are being played.  Angelos could tell you all they lose money every year and you will all believe it. Because you WANT to believe it. You WANT to believe they are scraping pennies off the marble MASN floors.  You WANT to believe that when it comes time to hand out contracts it will happen. You WANT to believe that slashing spending was "part of the plan". Only you didn't realize that this was going to be the "plan"......forever. Wake the #$%^& up. 

Who the hell are you even talking to? Have you not read a single post in this thread? Or any of the other myriad of John Angelos-related thread here lately?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

What a moron.

There's no reason they can't lock up guys like Gunnar and Adley.  And they already should have.

I can't stand Craig Calcaterra but this is pretty hilarious and spot on.  

I used to like Shysterball but I haven't read any of his stuff in years.

1 hour ago, TonySoprano said:

Some damage control on Kevin Brown

Angelos said the team was reviewing the internal processes that resulted in discipline for the broadcaster, Kevin Brown, who merely pointed out on air that the Orioles used to struggle mightily in road games against the Tampa Bay Rays. Angelos said he hoped that Brown would remain with the team for a long time. “Nothing like that is going to happen again,” he added. “It shouldn’t have happened once.”

Does that mean he thinks the suspension shouldn't have occurred, or that the incident leading to the suspension shouldn't have occurred? 

1 hour ago, TonySoprano said:

For those who don't know how to get past the NY Times paywall (hint: removethepaywall.com)   Here are some relevant quotes from this idiot (that's right I said it)

Crying Poor

While the Braves have nine players signed beyond 2024, the Orioles have none. They will not spend more without making more.

This framing by NYT is a little disingenuous. While the O's may not have any players "signed" beyond 2024, they control the rights for just about their entire core well beyond that. Adley, for example, isn't formally considered "signed" beyond 2023 at the moment.

Edited by BohKnowsBmore

Didn't John say the Orioles would be Tampa but with a higher payroll. 

He  is not happy with the local papers leaking some of the lease negotiations and other things.He goes to the NYT.

Also not happy with Moore,who he thought was a great pal. Moore is talking about having to balance a budget with a deficit possibly lurking. Also the head of the Maryland Senate,Bill Ferguson said we need to get this lease done yesterday. We can worry about all the other stuff after we sign a lease.  He sees no way right now that they will give John additional money for his grandiose plans.  So Lucy ,I mean John pulled the football away and went to the NYT He is not happy.

Gov. Wes Moore urges ‘season of discipline’ for state, local spending; warns Maryland’s economy hasn’t kept pace with its ambition
https://www.baltimoresun.com/politics/bs-md-pol-maco-moore-speech-2023-20230819-z6vevyi375c5bbuf37s3563zki-story.html

Edited by Going Underground
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

This framing by NYT is a little disingenuous. While the O's may not have any players "signed" beyond 2024, they control the rights for just about their entire core well beyond that. Adley, for example, isn't formally considered "signed" beyond 2023 at the moment.

And the O's are under no obligation to pay him for those years.

I don't think they were disingenuous at all.

I think everyone that would bother to read the article understands how free agency works.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Interesting that he chose The NY Times.  I agree, he’d be way better off if he just shut up.  Every time he’s been interviewed this year he’s dug the hole deeper.   

He probably has such a poor relationship with local journalists there is no one he can trust in Baltimore to write anything positive about him. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, walkersvillefan said:

Long time lurker - first time poster....at least the first post in many years.

I am hoping someone smarter than me here can explain why / how our payroll was higher 25 years ago than it is now.  The O's had the highest payroll in the league in 1998 at just over $71 million. I get that revenue is down from the last five years but the dollar is also worth nearly twice as much now as it was in 1998.

And why wasn't that asked in the interview?  ☹️

Like all of you, I can't stand John Angelos and wish he would just stay quiet. But I think all he is doing in this interview is crying poor to try to get the best deal he can from the state and city. I assume that the Angelos family believes that the Orioles franchise will be more valuable and attractive to potential buyers if there's a sweet heart real estate deal in place. He keeps mentioning the Braves, but the situations are so totally different. The Angelos' have no real leverage in this situation. 

Just now, Ohfan67 said:

Like all of you, I can't stand John Angelos and wish he would just stay quiet. But I think all he is doing in this interview is crying poor to try to get the best deal he can from the state and city. I assume that the Angelos family believes that the Orioles franchise will be more valuable and attractive to potential buyers if there's a sweet heart real estate deal in place. He keeps mentioning the Braves, but the situations are so totally different. The Angelos' have no real leverage in this situation. 

Aside from an apparent ally in the Governor's mansion.