September Roster Expansion

RVAOsFan

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

So Im good with Cowser being brought back because I don’t think he should have been sent down to begin with but what did he actually accomplish?

He went down and was 12-49 with 8 walks and 20 Ks. He hit 245 with an 820 OPS.  That is what they needed to see to get him back to the majors? 

That just doesn’t make sense to me.  Maybe he was hitting into a lot of bad luck?  

I think they just wanted regular AB's. He already checked the boxes he needed to check before the first callup, it was basically just giving him reps and getting timing and confidence back, not necessarily hitting a certain OPS.

39 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hays was limping before he hit the wall on Tuesday.   Did not play yesterday.  He needs some time to recover is my guess.  Cowser is the best replacement they have.   Hicks probably needs a few days of rehab before he is called up and he has not begin that yet.

I am more surprised about Krehbiel.  I thought Wells was ready but I guess not.

And this means Wells isn't eligible for the playoffs, because he was optioned rather than rehabbing, correct? Unless he replaces an injured player. 

Means is still eligible because he is on the 60-day IL. 

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I think they just wanted regular AB's. He already checked the boxes he needed to check before the first callup, it was basically just giving him reps and getting timing and confidence back, not necessarily hitting a certain OPS.

12-49 and K’ing 20 in the minors was all he needed to get his confidence back?

If that’s the case, I’m guessing the idea that is confidence was shaken was a bunch of bs (which it likely was).

If it was the regular at bats thing, that’s fine..but are they going to come now up here?

59 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Just don’t usually treat a guy like this in a manner where you bring him up for 5 min and send him back down, especially since they are out west and it’s a lot of extra travel. I would expect them to do that with a  guy like Cameron.

They talked like Hicks will be back very soon, so either that has changed, the Hays injury is worse than they thought or something else is going on.  

But maybe they will just yo yo Cowser and he will just have to deal with it.  Just surprises me that they would handle it that way with him.

Cowser's comfort will take a backseat to doing what is best for the team.

I don't have any insight into Hicks, but if I were the O's I'd be looking to get Hays fresh and healthy for the playoffs, and he clearly needs some time off his feet.  

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

12-49 and K’ing 20 in the minors was all he needed to get his confidence back?

If that’s the case, I’m guessing the idea that is confidence was shaken was a bunch of bs (which it likely was).

If it was the regular at bats thing, that’s fine..but are they going to come now up here?

I doubt it. He's still got the same guys ahead of him. He might get some AB's to give Hays an extra day or two. I think he's going to have to wait until next year to get a full time opportunity and it probably won't be handed to him. 

18 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

And this means Wells isn't eligible for the playoffs, because he was optioned rather than rehabbing, correct? Unless he replaces an injured player. 

Means is still eligible because he is on the 60-day IL. 

Good question, I am still confused how they determine who is eligible for the playoffs.  I am sure there is a way to manipulate the roster to get Wells on the playoff roster, maybe the Bautista injury if he can't come back?

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

So Im good with Cowser being brought back because I don’t think he should have been sent down to begin with but what did he actually accomplish?

He went down and was 12-49 with 8 walks and 20 Ks. He hit 245 with an 820 OPS.  That is what they needed to see to get him back to the majors? 

That just doesn’t make sense to me.  Maybe he was hitting into a lot of bad luck?  

He didn’t do anything in particular, but the team has an extra spot it didn’t have before.  What’s so hard to understand?

The real issue is whether he’ll stay up, or be replaced by Hicks once he’s healthy.  

5 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Good question, I am still confused how they determine who is eligible for the playoffs.  I am sure there is a way to manipulate the roster to get Wells on the playoff roster, maybe the Bautista injury if he can't come back?

It’s simple. If you are on the 40-man roster or the 60-day IL as of today, you’re eligible.  

• Thanks 2

Just now, Frobby said:

He didn’t do anything in particular, but the team has an extra spot it didn’t have before.  What’s so hard to understand?

The real issue is whether he’ll stay up, or be replaced by Hicks once he’s healthy.  

Also if Cowser does start they can DH Santander some or take Santander out for defense and still have McKenna as well. 

Wells is eligible for post season play since he is on the 40 man roster.  Doesn't matter that he was optioned.  For the record, I would have rather seen Ortiz and Wells.  If they needed an outfielder, I get it, but once Hays and Hicks are healthy, I'd option Cowser.  

I guess for me, the cry was that Cowser was struggling and had to go down because of that and, like Grayson, had to go work on things.

He went to AAA and really didn’t hit that well. So, either he didn’t need to go down and work on things and that was all a bunch of bs or his performance down there was much better than the numbers show.

It’s not like he’s the only OFer down there and it’s not like the Os can’t use Frazier, OHearn, Mateo or maybe even Westburg for a few games before Hicks comes back.

Edited by Sports Guy

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I guess for me, the cry was that Cowser was struggling and had to go down because of that and, like Grayson, had to go work on things.

He went to AAA and really didn’t hit that well. So, either he didn’t need to go down and work on things and that was all a bunch of bs or his performance down there was much better than the numbers show.

Or they felt that an outfielder was needed until Hays and Hicks are healthy and felt Cowser was the best (or easiest) available option.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I think him being back means he is here potentially until Hicks is back or with the extra spot they view his glove and base running as a good fit for bench. 

I doubt this has anything to do with how he played at AAA.  

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Or they felt that an outfielder was needed until Hays and Hicks are healthy and felt Cowser was the best (or easiest) available option.

But Hicks is back in a few days and unless Hays is hurt bad enough that he is going on the DL, he will be available very soon and, as I said, you have in house options and could just as easily bring up Cameron or someone else as a possibility.

Dont get me wrong, as long as he plays, I’m glad Cowser is here. I think he should be here and I think he should be playing a lot. I just don’t get it if he’s not going to or if this is a few day move. That’s all I’m saying.

And if he is up for good, I don’t get what he did down there that would all of a sudden change their minds that he should be back to playing a lot up in the majors. It’s just odd to me. Glad he’s back up though.