2009 Draft Shortstop

I am not suggesting the O's should draft for position but should take the best player available. At #5 this could only be Grant Green. Curious though where Ryan Jackson slots. This little tidbit buried in Gammons' latest column discussing how defense is back in vogue.

Three times this week I heard baseball people talking about University of Miami shortstop Ryan Jackson's possibilities in the June draft. All three people said the same thing: Jackson is a world-class defensive shortstop, as sure a Gold Glove defender as there has been in a while, but he's highly suspect on offense.

"Defense has come back into the consciousness so much that we try to measure what his glove means to a team's success, even if he is no more than a .650 OPS guy," one executive says.

That discussion wouldn't have held a decade ago. On the other hand, 25 years ago you could have sat in Herzog's office as he drew up his daily defensive charts and listened to him try to calculate how many runs a defense with Ozzie Smith, Terry Pendleton, Tommy Herr, Willie McGee and Andy Van Slyke might save.

I am not suggesting the O's should draft for position but should take the best player available. At #5 this could only be Grant Green. Curious though where Ryan Jackson slots. This little tidbit buried in Gammons' latest column discussing how defense is back in vogue.

Ryan Jackson is probably a late first round/early second round pick.

I wouldn't take Jackson before the third round unless he takes some pretty large steps with the bat. I'd prefer a HS shortstop like Mier or Marrero. Maybe Nick, but he probably profiles better at 2B long term. I'd also take a look at Scooter Gennet at 2B who could be a 1st rounder with a solid senior year.

Archived