The Orioles Bullpen, They can fix it

ScGO's

Elias Right now:

It's not a total disaster, but it looks like our bullpen is being held together with Elmer's glue and and masking tape towards the back end of these games.

But I think it can be fixed, and I believe Elias is trying to fix it without accidentally disrupting the powerful machine he's built. He knows he missed at the deadline, and it shows, but I think the pieces are there to fix it. These changes should happen immediately, but this is where I would like to see the O's by the time they start the final series of the year with the Red Sox. If Bautista comes back it will not be until the playoffs.

Closer - Jack Flaherty: He needs a couple days of rest after last night and the start he had 3 days prior, but when he settles into a 1 inning role by the end of the Indians series, His FB could be sitting 96-98; the SL is a good pitch. His attitude actually fits the archetype of the role. The most playoff experienced coupled with his 10.7 K/9 as the final line of defense in the BP might make sense.

Set Up - Cano & Hall: We need to get Cano back into a 7th or 8th inning role. I know he has had to make adjustments as the league adjusted to him, but overall, he thrived in the 7th and 8th. His 7th inning ERA is 0.00 and his 8th inning ERA is 1.89. His 9th inning ERA is an okay 3.15. He has 3 Blown Saves on the year.  As for Hall, if you took away his one bad outing vs TB, his ERA would be 1.68 if measured since his return in late August. If its a lefty heavy crew in the 7th or 8th, it could be his inning. He seems close to clicking and becoming an Andrew Miller type stud.

High Leverage Relievers - Perez, Fuji, Webb, Colombe: Match up guys that can be dominant in the right situation. If the game is within 3 in either direction and their needing a big out in the 6th, or in the late innings if Cano and Hall aren't available.

Long Man/Save the Bullpen Guy - Irvin: DFA Lopez and call up Irvin. Lopez is not eligible for the playoffs and he's also not a game changer, so his innings need to go to someone that can be playoff ready and effective. Irvin thrives in a long man role. He can keep us in a game if one of our starters gets their pitch count up early, Irvin can help save their arm as the end of the season draws near.

Up 4+ in the 6th or later or "Oh Shit" Innings Eater - Baumann or Vespi:  Gotta pick one as that will make 9 relievers. I'm not feeling Baumann right now. He's given up 3 HRs in his last 6 IP. Teams are slugging .530 off Baumann since the beginning of August. However, he's also 10-1 bc he has been the "Oh Shit" guy, the main beneficiary of the O's Comeback Ways. He's also finished 14 games when they have had big leads. If Baumann stumbles hard in his next appearance, which is hopefully low leverage, Vespi is a good replacement option for this role.

AAA Depth, Break Glass in case of Emergency: Kriehbel, Baker, Krehbiel, McFarland, Voth, Zimmerman: Knock on wood, no injuries. But this is pretty solid depth in case something did happen; however, none of these guys will be on the playoff roster if I had to guess.

• Upvote 2

I know that Fuji has dominant stuff but I really don't want him into any playoff game that is remotely close.  I just don't think he can be trusted.  I hope Means looks good his last start or two and our playoff rotation of Bradish, GRod, Means, Kremer and you can put Gibson in the bullpen for a middle inning guy.

• Upvote 2

There is already a "Flaherty at closer" thread. This is not a new idea and it is just as bad as it was on the other thread. If he works his way into high leverage, fine, but Cano and Perez have been dominant, particularly when used in the committee approach. There is absolutely no need to throw him in the closer right now. 

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I know that Fuji has dominant stuff but I really don't want him into any playoff game that is remotely close.  I just don't think he can be trusted.  I hope Means looks good his last start or two and our playoff rotation of Bradish, GRod, Means, Kremer and you can put Gibson in the bullpen for a middle inning guy.

Agreed. Fuji with runners on base concerns me due to the probability of wild pitches, either to advance from first base into scoring position or score from third without a ball even being put into play. I only feel more at ease with him starting a clean inning. 

5 hours ago, NashLumber said:

Agreed. Fuji with runners on base concerns me due to the probability of wild pitches, either to advance from first base into scoring position or score from third without a ball even being put into play. I only feel more at ease with him starting a clean inning. 

Yeah, Fuji with runners on base definitely gives me heartburn.    

Edited by BRobinsonfan
  • Upvote 1

At this point, I am surprised Joey Krehbiel isn’t up.  Also, any chance that Chayce McDermott gets a shot over the last week?  I have never seen him pitch, but in 50.2 innings at Norfolk he’s only allowed 27 hits while striking out 64 and posting a 2.49 ERA.  Plus, the guy is 25, so he’s not some kid.  The bullpen just looks gassed right now.

3 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

At this point, I am surprised Joey Krehbiel isn’t up.  Also, any chance that Chayce McDermott gets a shot over the last week?  I have never seen him pitch, but in 50.2 innings at Norfolk he’s only allowed 27 hits while striking out 64 and posting a 2.49 ERA.  Plus, the guy is 25, so he’s not some kid.  The bullpen just looks gassed right now.

He is hurt

Fuji shouldn't be on the playoff roster. Cano is the best closer option. Hopefully Flaherty can be a good 1-2 inning guy out of the pen, but it's still too early to tell. 

I'd switch Perez and Hall in the OP's post - Perez has been on fire for most of the past couple months, he's our most reliable overall arm in the pen at the moment, so he'd be the top setup man option in front of Cano.

Coulombe, Hall, and Webb isn't a terrible group of high leverage guys, but the wheels are starting to fall off on Webb a bit after a great stretch. 

Not sure if McDermott is done for the season with his injury. But he deserves a look if he can come back within the next week or so.

15 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

If you can't start them all, then I would rather start Gibson with Kremer as the piggy back option. Because Kremer proved last season he can come out of the bullpen and get it done. We've also seen times this season when Kremer has been able to dial it up to 97 MPH too. I would prefer to have Kremer as a starter, but if you can't start Kremer AND Gibson, then I would rather Gibson start for his potential to go deep into games, and Kremer come out of the pen for his potential to dial it up and mix it up and work out of jams. He has shown to be very tenacious.

6 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

If you can't start them all, then I would rather start Gibson with Kremer as the piggy back option. Because Kremer proved last season he can come out of the bullpen and get it done. We've also seen times this season when Kremer has been able to dial it up to 97 MPH too. I would prefer to have Kremer as a starter, but if you can't start Kremer AND Gibson, then I would rather Gibson start for his potential to go deep into games, and Kremer come out of the pen for his potential to dial it up and mix it up and work out of jams. He has shown to be very tenacious.

If we don't have the lead it doesn't matter how hard Kremer throws. He is our #3 starter.

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Ke Bradish just said on national TV that Gibson was the clubhouse leader of the pitching staff. If that's the case than they are going to start Gibson in the playoffs.

Gibson pitched in the bullpen for the Phillies. I'm sure he was a leader there too, and that would be a leader move if it helps the team. I think it is between Means and Gibson but Kremer is a lock.