Guardians Series

Just Regular

53 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Seriously what is it about Cleveland that makes us forget how to play baseball?

They are a bad matchup all around. Their pitchers throw a lot of slop, which the O's hitters can't hit, and their hitters foul a lot of pitches off (making starters leave early) and put the ball in play a lot, which exploits the O's average defense, especially in the infield.

2 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

Hopefully he strikes a lot of people out. Because if they put in play, you know what's going to happen.

The Guardians don't strike out. You hope that they'll hit a lot of lazy fly balls. If Hyde wants to start McKenna to have his best defensive outfield out there, I wouldn't object.

22 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

That's 36 runs in 5 games surrendered to the 2023 Cleveland Guardians.

Jim Palmer is hopeful about John Means tomorrow and I guess I see where he's coming from. He'll move the ball around without walking guys and hopefully get lots of outs without throwing too many pitches.

Cleveland might just be a bad match up for the Orioles. Their offense isn't good and it's the fourth worse in runs per game scored in the AL. We need Means to be the stopper tomorrow and put an end to these disappointing performances.

Orioles desperately need a game where the bullpen only needs to go two innings. The sooner the Orioles can win the division the sooner they can start resting these tired pitchers. 

4 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

They are a bad matchup all around. Their pitchers throw a lot of slop, which the O's hitters can't hit, and their hitters foul a lot of pitches off (making starters leave early) and put the ball in play a lot, which exploits the O's average defense, especially in the infield.

Orioles hitters definitely don't like the slop.

I’m glad I didn’t get to watch much tonight. I saw some of it in my phone, tuned in just in time to see Santander fall on his face in right field, then whatever happened on the ball hit up the middle right after that. 

I kinda want to know what happened but at the same time I’m just a bit relieved that the Jays took one from Tampa tonight, too. 

At this point I’m hoping we can still take the division while on running on fumes and rest up for the playoffs. Getting a first round bye to rest the bullpen is priority…do that and I can see us winning a division series. If we don’t get the time off, it might not be pretty. 

8 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Cleveland might just be a bad match up for the Orioles. Their offense isn't good and it's the fourth worse in runs per game scored in the AL. We need Means to be the stopper tomorrow and put an end to these disappointing performances.

Orioles desperately need a game where the bullpen only needs to go two innings. The sooner the Orioles can win the division the sooner they can start resting these tired pitchers. 

Yes well let’s see if we can win a game , one game first.  Because we ain’t winning no division without winning more games.  And baseball  history will then sadly record  “the historic collapse of the Orioles in 2023” as we join many other ill fated teams over the years. 

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Yes well let’s see if we can win a game , one game first.  Because we ain’t winning no division without winning more games.  And baseball  history will then sadly record  “the historic collapse of the Orioles in 2023” as we join many other ill fated teams over the years. 

Not that I expect this to happen, but since when is losing a slim division lead in the final week of the season considered a historic collapse?  It happens all the time.

We already locked up a playoff spot. 

11 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Not that I expect this to happen, but since when is losing a slim division lead in the final week of the season considered a historic collapse?  It happens all the time.

We already locked up a playoff spot. 

The last week would be the coup de grace..going 5-8 over our last 13 up to right now is the reason we may lose the lead.. 

If say TB goes 4-3 then we would still have to go 2-6 to lose the division against Cle, and at home against Wash and Bos.  That would be finishing with a 7-14 stretch.  Looks like that would be a collapse to me. 

God forbid lol!! 

Edited by tntoriole

Hyde should focus on defense today, infield D is surprisingly inconsistent, 2B and 3B no longer dependable as the combo of Urias, Frazier and Westburg is below championship standards - Cleveland is much better at INF defense. RF with Santander is an adventure and Hicks is trying to not get hurt. McKenna should play a couple games out there can always PH for him late as needed. 

2 minutes ago, IllinoisOsFan said:

Hoping for our series streak to stay alive.

Part of me has been hoping the situation would be favorable enough that TUE-WED the Nationals could end it against Bruce Zimmermann and TJ MacFarland and we could stop hearing Kevin Brown's professional enthusiasm every blessed series as its unrolled but instead we have Kyle Bradish and Grayson Rodriguez lined up in the regular season's final 1-2 dress rehearsal.

In other circumstances I'd be glad to be free of the quirk before a tournament.    Next April I may go mad if Kevin Brown is droning on about it in a regular season framework.     Paraphrasing Crash Davis, not being swept in 100 consecutive regular season series could be a dubious distinction.