Should MLB Extend the Season?

Uli2001

39 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Have mini breaks in late May and late August.  3 days each.  Would extend season less than a week.

The WS is already played to late in the season, it's not a cold weather sport so why play the most important games in November....Expand the roster and play true doubleheaders so they can schedule more off days and have the WS end by the middle of October....   

7 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

I see a lot of contenders having injuries and just running out of gas, period. Perhaps a 162-game schedule from April to September is no longer tenable in modern baseball. These are not the days of a beer-gut Babe trotting leisurely around the bases. The sport has become very athletic and fast, pitchers are throwing 100-mph fastballs almost routinely.

They will never reduce the number of games ($$), so perhaps they should consider starting the season in mid-March, or earlier, to provide more days off to the teams. I believe that they will have to do it, sooner or later.

7 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

Totally in agreement, but will never happen. The only realistic option is starting the season in mid-March and having more off-days.

Nothing unrealistic about the current system.  The only reason folks are saying anything is that they are rooting for a playoff team with a gassed pitching staff.

If the O's were 20 games out would this thread exist?

This is on Elias and Hyde for not compensating for this stretch.

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

Just expand the rosters a bit more.  Problem solved. 

But not pitchers.    The present state of the Orioles pitching staff is barely enough to keep Kyle Gibson in a job - give pitch designers and derivatives enthusiasts enough roster spots to stream and its dodo bird time.

It is in recent memory the season has grown from 26 to 26.5 weeks to help with this kind of thing.    

57 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

But not pitchers.    The present state of the Orioles pitching staff is barely enough to keep Kyle Gibson in a job - give pitch designers and derivatives enthusiasts enough roster spots to stream and its dodo bird time.

It is in recent memory the season has grown from 26 to 26.5 weeks to help with this kind of thing.    

I see no issue with allowing one additional pitcher. 

At first I thought this was a dumb question until I actually read the content of the original post. Now that I've read it, I do agree with the idea of keeping it to 162 games but starting a few weeks earlier with the entire purpose of providing more off days to teams during the season.

So I have chance my answer from a no, into a "yes".

3 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

At first I thought this was a dumb question until I actually read the content of the original post. Now that I've read it, I do agree with the idea of keeping it to 162 games but starting a few weeks earlier with the entire purpose of providing more off days to teams during the season.

So I have chance my answer from a no, into a "yes".

I can't see anyone wanting to play mid-March games in Detroit, Colorado, Minnesota, Milwaukee, Chicago, NY, Toronto......heck, even Philly and Baltimore are still way too cold.  A really good way to get pitchers and players injured is to take them from the very seasonal temps of their spring training sites to playing ball with temps in the 30's and 40's, especially at night.  Some might argue to play them during the day.....the owners then get less revenue.  Some might argue play the games in the south first.  Are there enough teams in the south to accommodate this?  And what, do Houston, Texas, Florida, Arizona, etc. get the first two weeks at home, and then have to play most of September on the road?  

I just don't see baseball any earlier in March as a good thing for the overall health of the athletes.  I do like the idea of expanded rosters, but the owners (knowing the have to pay MLB minimum salaries) will argue that it costs them more.  I imagine a lot of this has already been hashed out in the CBA negotiations anyway.....players don't want fewer games because they won't get paid as much (or so they argue....and, like it really matters, right?), and owners want more games during the "better weather months" to increase attendance and revenue.

I'm a bit of a purist...when I see guys in the World Series wearing hoodies under their hats and winter face coverings to stay warm, it feels more like beer league softball to me.

37 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

I can't see anyone wanting to play mid-March games in Detroit, Colorado, Minnesota, Milwaukee, Chicago, NY, Toronto......heck, even Philly and Baltimore are still way too cold.  A really good way to get pitchers and players injured is to take them from the very seasonal temps of their spring training sites to playing ball with temps in the 30's and 40's, especially at night.  Some might argue to play them during the day.....the owners then get less revenue.  Some might argue play the games in the south first.  Are there enough teams in the south to accommodate this?  And what, do Houston, Texas, Florida, Arizona, etc. get the first two weeks at home, and then have to play most of September on the road?  

I just don't see baseball any earlier in March as a good thing for the overall health of the athletes.  I do like the idea of expanded rosters, but the owners (knowing the have to pay MLB minimum salaries) will argue that it costs them more.  I imagine a lot of this has already been hashed out in the CBA negotiations anyway.....players don't want fewer games because they won't get paid as much (or so they argue....and, like it really matters, right?), and owners want more games during the "better weather months" to increase attendance and revenue.

I'm a bit of a purist...when I see guys in the World Series wearing hoodies under their hats and winter face coverings to stay warm, it feels more like beer league softball to me.

100% agree about the weather.its too cold in march. some fans live in florida or down south/out west where its spring most of the year.maybe climate change will fix it in the future