2024 Opening Day Roster

EERinthe804

One thing everyone seems to not realize yet...is that although the Orioles are certainly no lock to spend money. They are unquestionably going to be more attractive to prospective free agents than they were two or five years ago.

The talent on this team and the future it has in front of it is pretty incredible.  It is going to make conversations go differently.  But the money part....yeah that part isn't great.  

But this team isn't staying at 70 MM a year either no matter what it does. 

11 minutes ago, Birdland in NC said:

Yeah ya got me...  but even Dan Duquette can see this is the best team in the AL, no need to out think the room. 

You gotta keep evolving if you want to stay there. A team with our payroll has to know when to move on from guys. We aren't going to have the money to cover up for mistakes of holding guys too long.

I don't expect there to be any big moves. It will be much of the same, sign a vet to take ABs from youth, no major impacts to the pitching staff.

I wouldn't mind seeing a trade for a big time bat, one that would hit 35-40 HRs, but all of those are on contending teams that likely wouldn't trade, even for 2-4 decent prospects. Same with a #1 pitcher.

I think everyone knows there's lots of talent in the cubbard, so they're going high on demands, above what Elias is willing to give up.

Edit - Robert might be available but there's big injury risk there.

Edited by spleen1015

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes it is although I guess he didn’t say salary so if it’s like 3/15, it makes sense but obviously Means isn’t signing a deal like that.

Dude just took a no-hitter into the 7th inning.

It makes a lot of sense to keep a guy like that around.

21 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Means is under control and arbitration eligible for 2024.  I could see an extension that buys out 2 years of free agency.  Is there a sweet spot that’s good for both parties?

And that's the question.  And maybe they try to find that sweet spot and it isn't there.

But that doesn't mean it doesn't make sense to explore it.

no clue but i think the biggest change is Santander traded along with mid tier prospects for a pitcher, Kjerstad assumes the role of RF/DH, Cowser takes Hicks spot. Ortiz takes 1 of Mateo/Urias spot, other stays likely Urias, Norby takes Fraziers spot... money spent on FAs all goes toward pitching. Holliday not on opening day roster. 

Wild card: Mountcastle traded, Mayo takes his spot with a split with O'Hearn. -- But i don't see us having all of Kjerstad, Cowser, Mayo, Ortiz, Norby, Holliday on the opening day. 

Orioles proved their no fluke team like many assumed(not us here) going into last offseason and will be an attractive place to sign for FAs if Angelos is willing. I think they pay to get a left handed SP. Elias will continue to build his BP with cast offs like he's always done and is the least of my worries, he's earned my trust in finding the BP arms even with Lopez/Fuji stinking up the joint. Hopefully Tate is able to return after year off. 

I don't see any trades of top 10-12 prospects until proven otherwise by Elias and company. So i don't predict any of such, or i'd have Norby in trade for pitching. 

I expect minimal change to the current roster although I think there’s an outside chance of a deal for someone like Reid Dettmers,  a promising young pitcher with years of team control who hasn’t quite put it together yet.   Elias will search for bullpen arms but they aren’t spending big on one or trading a package of prospects for one.

I think Holliday factors into the OD lineup.  I don’t think he’ll be in it but it will affect the infield decisions.  I believe he’s the 2B by or before the all-star break.

I could see Elias getting a Cavan Biggio type who bats LH and can play all over and factor into the 2B job while Holliday percolates a little more in AAA.

I don’t believe Santander is traded.  They’ll let him play out the year and possibly make a QO depending on the season he has.

Colton Cowsers poor showing probably ensures that Austin Hays also stays for now.  Cowser probably starts back in AAA.   The bigger question is where does Kjerstad fit in next spring.

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Dude just took a no-hitter into the 7th inning.

It makes a lot of sense to keep a guy like that around.

Sure, if you want to put everything on 1 start.

He is under team control for next season. He is just coming off a major injury and we have no idea how he’s going to look. We see good and bad signs now. Signing him to a 3 year deal right now is irresponsible unless, as I said, he’s signing for a salary so low that he could be a LoOGy and you still get your money’s worth but obviously he’s not signing that.

You have plenty of time to talk to him about a contract.