ALDS First Pitch - game start time

springglen

34 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

In this case, I’m not sure why it matters. There are no “juicy” matchups that could grab bigger than normal regional type ratings.

That's why they have smart people making the decisions, and not random Orioles Hangout posters.  If you're a sponsor of commercials, do you want your high cost, prime-time, national ad shown in front of the Dodgers national following, the Braves following, or the Orioles audience?

I get it that are Orioles fans, but I don't think more people would watch a prime-time Dodger playoff game nationally than the Orioles.  I know that doesn't make us feel good, but that's reality folks.

2 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

So, you're saying they are not idiots after all?  And we shouldn't rush to uninformed judgements?  I'm glad some people actually understand that this is how it works.

There's a really good reason why game times are not on the playoff tickets, folks......

It can be as simple as they want it to be.

Look, it's not rocket science.  MLB, Fox, TBS, TNT has known for awhile now who'd be hosting division games and the possibilities of what the matchups are.  

There's no matchup in the divisional round that'll surpass the interest of college football on Saturday and the NFL and Sunday.  It's just not going to happen.  So if they're really sitting back and saying "Well, we might get 10,000 more viewers for Rays vs. Orioles versus Rangers vs. Orioles, therefore we should televise the game at 4pm instead of 1pm," it's silly.

The Billy Joel hurdle has been here for awhile.  This isn't some last minute concert that was scheduled.

Like I said, it's as simple as they want it to be.  They're just shuffling around deck chairs to figure out which lineups get more viewers and that's obnoxious.  Especially when people are trying to make travel plans to come into town for the game.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

Looks like rain in the afternoon Saturday but clear skies in the evening I wonder how that would affect the situation. 

I had my choice between tickets for Saturday and Sunday and chose Sunday for this reason. 

• Upvote 1

That's why they have smart people making the decisions, and not random Orioles Hangout posters.  If you're a sponsor of commercials, do you want your high cost, prime-time, national ad shown in front of the Dodgers national following, the Braves following, or the Orioles audience?

I get it that are Orioles fans, but I don't think more people would watch a prime-time Dodger playoff game nationally than the Orioles.  I know that doesn't make us feel good, but that's reality folks.

Well if it takes a genius to know that and you want your high cost, prime-time national ad shown in front of a Dodgers or Braves game, you put those games on in the evening.  

Smart people, eh?

5 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

I wish the grammar in your post was good enough that I could tell what you're actually trying to tell us poor uninformed, unrealistic OH posters needing a sanity check. ;) 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well if it takes a genius to know that and you want your high cost, prime-time national ad shown in front of a Dodgers or Braves game, you put those games on in the evening.  

Smart people, eh?

Yes, and that's what I expect to happen.  That's what I was saying.....basically that the matchups will dictate the schedules.....and that there's a reason for how they decide to schedule things and what makes them the most money when.  I don't think they are idiots, I actually think there's a process.  If you want to think they're idiots, that's fine.  I just disagree.  Calling them idiots is just misplaced emotion/frustration at not knowing our game time by now.

13 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Well, the smart people at Fox, as well as the smart people on OH know that the Dodgers and Braves game are on a different network and the NL games are slated to be the evening games, so this doesn’t matter at all.

But keep up with your passive aggressive, moronic jabs at me. Makes your screen name look dumber by the second.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

They really should just move the concert to Monday night. But that is probably up to Billy Joel 

So Stevie Nicks gets no say whatsoever?  🙃

The more I think about it, the Ravens took a calculated risk when they schedule a concert during what would be the divisional round of the MLB playoffs.   They bet that the Orioles would not be one of the top two division winners in the AL, and they lost that bet.  So making them forfeit the parking is a fair solution as this situation is the Ravens' fault (though still not fair to the concert goers who purchased parking).

I know in the past, when there was such a thing as FanFest, the Orioles avoided scheduling it on weekends when it was possible that the Ravens might have home playoff games.   I know at least one FanFest was scheduled for that off week between the NFL conference championship games and the Super Bowl.

While it is a common thread on here that the Ravens have a good owner and well run organization and the Orioles have a terrible owner and an organization that has made a lot of bad decisions over the years -- I would say the fault lies totally with the Ravens here.  They either didn't bother to understand the MLB playoff schedule and when the Orioles might have games, or they chose to gamble that the Orioles wouldn't be one of the top two division winners.

Yes, and that's what I expect to happen.  That's what I was saying.....basically that the matchups will dictate the schedules.....and that there's a reason for how they decide to schedule things and what makes them the most money when.  I don't think they are idiots, I actually think there's a process.  If you want to think they're idiots, that's fine.  I just disagree.  Calling them idiots is just misplaced emotion/frustration at not knowing our game time by now.

Calmer than you are. 

• Upvote 1