Rays-Rangers ALWC series

Just Regular

9 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Texas won the 1st game so now I hope Tampa Bay wins the 2nd game. 

Yeah, I guess so.  It certainly would give us an increased advantage in game one of the ALDS if the winner of this series has to throw their fourth best starter in that game.   But I’d really prefer to play Texas in the end.  I’d rather play a slightly more rested Texas team than play Tampa.

• Upvote 1

I've been saying for a while that I dread facing Texas.  I'd much rather face TB, a team we know very well and one that's a) beat up and b) a team we can force errors on if we're the aggressive hitting/baserunning team we've been at various points this season. 

@Just Regular mentioned Evan Carter in the OP - he's really hot right now.  And even tho Josh Jung hasn't been effective yet since he came back, he's someone I worry about, he and Jonah Heim. 

Too many good, power hitters in their lineup for my taste. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, justD said:

I've been saying for a while that I dread facing Texas.  I'd much rather face TB, a team we know very well and one that's a) beat up and b) a team we can force errors on if we're the aggressive hitting/baserunning team we've been at various points this season. 

@Just Regular mentioned Evan Carter in the OP - he's really hot right now.  And even tho Josh Jung hasn't been effective yet since he came back, he's someone I worry about, he and Jonah Heim. 

Too many good, power hitters in their lineup for my taste. 

agree 100%

Some of the announcers' background on Evan Carter was new to me, mainly that he had such a good eye his minor league teammates nicknamed him "Full Count".

Kurkjian had the detail he got to full counts in 20 of his 75 MLB PA's, and that his Chase Rate was off the charts.     Couple October full counts today as well.

You have to drop the filter to 70 PA to get him to show up, but sure enough there he is far ahead of Twins leadoff guy Edouard Julien.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&type=5&season=2023&month=0&season1=2023&ind=0&qual=70&sortcol=2&sortdir=asc&pagenum=1

Carter was approximately Cowser/Kjerstad adjacent on hot prospect lists during the year - I'm sure Rangers fans are pretty pumped about his opening few weeks.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Some of the announcers' background on Evan Carter was new to me, mainly that he had such a good eye his minor league teammates nicknamed him "Full Count".

Kurkjian had the detail he got to full counts in 20 of his 75 MLB PA's, and that his Chase Rate was off the charts.     Couple October full counts today as well.

You have to drop the filter to 70 PA to get him to show up, but sure enough there he is far ahead of Twins leadoff guy Edouard Julien.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&type=5&season=2023&month=0&season1=2023&ind=0&qual=70&sortcol=2&sortdir=asc&pagenum=1

Carter was approximately Cowser/Kjerstad adjacent on hot prospect lists during the year - I'm sure Rangers fans are pretty pumped about his opening few weeks.

I saw him play at AA Frisco in April and then again at AAA OKC when he made his debut for Round Rock. Despite having an unusual swing, he definitely passed the eye test. Made the game look easy, very fluid athlete.

He’s also several years younger than HK and Cowser, having just turned 21 on Aug 29. Kudos to the Rangers for identifying and sticking to their man in the 2020 draft. They were a lot of raised eyebrows when he was selected when he was. 

17 hours ago, Just Regular said:

And right on cue, he got to full counts in 2 of his first 3 AB's yesterday.