Santander Speculation

Roll Tide

This kind of matches what Angelos has said and the need to keep the prospect bucket overflowing in order to make the window an indefinite proposition. Miami has some good pitching … Could you get Max Meyer and a couple of other pieces?

https://www.si.com/mlb/orioles/news/baltimore-orioles-could-trade-veteran-outfielder-unlikely-suitor

I love Santander. I love that he’s a switch hitter with power from both sides. And he’s a big part of the team identity. It all depends on what we can get for him. If we find the right fit for our needs AND use the salary savings to acquire/sign a good rotation fit, absolutely trade him. I assume we’ll deal him…..I don’t assume we’ll use the salary savings as we should. If that’s the case, I’d keep him and ride out his contract. What will infuriate me is not spending as we should for a starter this winter and then be scrambling at the trade deadline to acquire a middle of the rotation at best starter. 

• Upvote 1

The Marlins have already lost Alcantara for 2024 so they’re not as stacked with pitching as in the past. Also, the Miami organization is as cheap or cheaper than the Orioles, so I’m not sure they’d be eager to add Santander at his expected cost. Maybe if we threw in some $$$…..

If Texas is the team the O's have to beat next year to get to the World Series I can't see how they do it by trading their best power hitter.    They need to add and/or development more offense not trade it away.

A 12M salary appears to be in line with their salary structure considering that Gibson made 10M last year.   

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

The Marlins have already lost Alcantara for 2024 so they’re not as stacked with pitching as in the past. Also, the Miami organization is as cheap or cheaper than the Orioles, so I’m not sure they’d be eager to add Santander at his expected cost. Maybe if we threw in some $$$…..

They are still stacked. They likely would have only so many spots for young, unproven pitching.   They can still sign a FA starter to replace Alcantara.

Santander (12M) being replaced by Kjerstad seems logical.   I would think Seattle makes sense as well as their 2023 RF Teoscar Hernández is now a FA.    I thought they would keep Santander his final year as a security blanket but moving him makes some sense too.   It also frees up money for a potential follow up move.