Santander Speculation

Roll Tide

If Miami is involved in trade talks, I certainly hope that Max Meyer is at least part of the conversation.  He is more advanced than Seth Johnson, having already had a 2 game cup of coffee in 2022 before his TJ.  Both of them will make for interesting rehab returnees.

41 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's going to sit against lefties.

At AAA his ops against righties was .902. Against lefties it was .880. He was hitless in his one ML at bat against a lefty, though that would be a whopper small sample size conclusion even by Orioles Hangout standards. 😁 

Joking aside, Kjerstad is going to have a lot of success for us. Probably not Santander level in 2024, but that wouldn’t be a fair expectation so early in his career.

Spitballing, if I could trade Santander/Mateo to Miami for Scott/Meyer/PTBNL, knowing I’m saving money for a FA SP, trading Santander’s last year before FA for a closer a year away from FA, taking a drop in production with Kjerstad, but moving a surplus shortstop for a potential TOR starter when he returns from TJ, that would be the kind of deal I’d look for in trading Santander. The notion that we’re going to deal him for a top starter seems…..ambitious. I’d look for a deal that addresses both short term and long term areas of need. 

Edited by UMDTerrapins
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Pickles said:

Sure, there are considerations, but he's not going into this offseason with the mentality he HAS to trade Santander, or whomever, because of outside forces.

I think it depends on how one defines "has to." If his philosophy is to not let players with value leave via FA for nothing then ye, he has to and that is not an outside force. It's internal.

3 hours ago, btdart20 said:

I've been thinking about the QO angle of this too.  I think you're right that Santander would accept the QO.  From Santander's POV, the QO is solid pay and then less obstacles for him in the 2025 FA market for a lifetime contract (even if a year older). 

I don't doubt HK can be a close proxy for Santander, but we need more than a replacement for 2024.  

Do they get crazy and trade Hays AND Santander AND sign a short-term MOO bat (or two) while handing the COF to Cowser and Kjerstad?  That feels like a lot of moving parts and roster churn even if it balances the short/long-term plans.

I think the danger than the O's are in right now is that with all the prospects you might find yourself in a perpetual state of waiting for the next guy. or 3 to get established. 

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

This is basically what Angelos was saying when he said modeled after the Rays. I hope that includes long term extensions for the right guys. But, Santander isn’t that guy.

I think you're right. I am hoping that two at least of Bradish, GrayRod, Adley and Gunner are locked up soon but I'm not holding my breath. If that is the case, we could be looking at only two - three years more of Adley before he gets traded.

1 hour ago, G54377 said:

I'd much rather trade Hays. I don't like the idea of having to replace Santander's 30 HR/100 RBI. We already need another middle of the order bat to realistically compete for a WS.

It’s a case of dollars and cents…. If you aren’t going to extend him now is the time 

6 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Mullins has a lot more value. 

Even then, I'm not convinced the Brewers would make that traded straight up. I'd love to get Burnes, but Elias has to have a plan to get another CF for next season that doesn't involve the answer being McKenna or Cowser if Mullins is gone.

McKenna is fine as a backup and I was not impressed by Cowser playing CF even in a backup role.