Hyde, Elias, Henderson, The Sporting News winners

Moose Milligan

It's kind of crazy to think that Texas could legitimately contend for each of those awards. When Jung got injured, he was ahead of Gunnar for ROY. Of course, Gunnar came on really strong for the remainder of the year. Bochy is a wizard in the dugout. Perhaps the best in the sport right now. And their front office brought this team together with several splashy moves, supplemented with some really good young guys. 

Edited by LookinUp

4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

It's kind of crazy to think that Texas could legitimately contend for each of those awards. When Jung got injured, he was ahead of Gunnar for ROY. Of course, Gunnar came on really strong for the remainder of the year. Bochy is a wizard in the dugout. Perhaps the best in the sport right now. And their front office brought this team together with several splashy moves, supplemented with some really good young guys. 

Jung was going to win it fairly easily had he not gotten hurt.  

TEX is on a great run, but for me its what they needed early after the Seager-Semien bonanza.

Carter, Jung and Langford do look good, but overall I believe that roster is more Win Now than Up and Coming like the Orioles.

Fair chance some fall in the next year or two we'll get a view who can handle who between Rangers old pitchers and Orioles young hitters.

Is Jackson Holliday better than Jacob deGrom today?

17 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Gunnar had almost double the fWAR Jung had. Almost triple the rWAR. You think Jung makes that up in the month he missed?

Ah, a WAR argument.  

Keep in mind, Gunnar was playing from behind until Jung went down.  Jung was at .274/.323/.490 when he went down.  22 homers, 67 RBI.  Yes, I know it's ultimately a WAR race which is predictable, but I do believe counting stats play a role here, too.

Gunnar was at .243/.331/.477 with 19 homers at 51 RBI.  So, yeah, Gunnar was behind at the time.  Gunnar played better defense which added to his WAR but I think if Jung played the whole season, he goes over 30 homers, goes over 90 RBI and that's tough to beat.

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

Remember that these are voted upon before the playoffs, so as not to over-credit anyone for getting hot in the tournament.

Looking at the regular season, Bochy and the Texas FO were not nearly as deserving as Hyde and Elias.

Jung... well, we'll never know if he'd have hung on to his lead for ROY.

14 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Remember that these are voted upon before the playoffs, so as not to over-credit anyone for getting hot in the tournament.

Looking at the regular season, Bochy and the Texas FO were not nearly as deserving as Hyde and Elias.

Jung... well, we'll never know if he'd have hung on to his lead for ROY.

Yeah, wouldn't want to over-credit a team that 1) made the playoffs, 2) were well-prepared for the playoffs and 3) played great in the playoffs. 

The teams that won the regular season should get all of the awards.

That just seems backwards to me that they don't want to over-credit the people who won what is everyone's goal to win.

5 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Yeah, wouldn't want to over-credit a team that 1) made the playoffs, 2) were well-prepared for the playoffs and 3) played great in the playoffs. 

The teams that won the regular season should get all of the awards.

That just seems backwards to me that they don't want to over-credit the people who won what is everyone's goal to win.

Well people say the playoffs are a crapshoot… you can’t have it both ways. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Jung was going to win it fairly easily had he not gotten hurt.  

I look at it this way — the day before Jung got hurt, if the Rangers had offered to trade him to the Orioles straight up for Henderson would we have said yes or no?

Zero chance we agree to that deal, then or now. Jung is good, no bout a doubt it. But I don’t think he was, is, or ever will be the player Gunnar is. 

36 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I look at it this way — the day before Jung got hurt, if the Rangers had offered to trade him to the Orioles straight up for Henderson would we have said yes or no?

Zero chance we agree to that deal, then or now. Jung is good, no bout a doubt it. But I don’t think he was, is, or ever will be the player Gunnar is. 

You can look at it that way and that's fine.  And I agree, Gunnar will be the better player.  Gunnar IS the better player.  

But that's a separate argument from who would have won the ROY award this year if Jung hadn't gotten hurt.  Like I said, he was leading in two key categories that voters look at when considering who to vote for.  And, at the time, Gunnar was hitting something like .244.  While he raised his batting average to a respectable level, no way that voters were considering voting for someone hitting in the .240s.  

I think it would have been close, but Jung leading most of the summer would have carried him to the award, IMO.