Rank the top 25 players in the O's organization

wildcard

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t doubt that. I’m fine with him but to have him higher than someone who held his own in the majors and a guy who is a top 75 prospect that has an elite glove at a premium position, as well as high exit velocity numbers and things like that is extremely premature. 

I agree with you.  However, to play Devil's advocate, I think you could justify the ranking based on floor.  Bradfield has among the highest floors of all the prospects.

Edited by Pickles

58 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Westburg needs to show some more power.  He's valuable because he can play multiple positions but his OPS+ was exactly average in 208 at bats last year at 100+.

I don't think he's underrated at all.  

The wall affects all of our RH hitters at home.  Westburg was very solid to good.  That's really good for a rookie in a pennant chase.  In SSS, he had a much better OPS on the road, and a much better OPS versus LHP.  Those are good signs considering we'll be using some sort of rotational/platoon set up with all of our IF for the near future.  I'm not worried about that dude.  

53 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Zero chance he's non tendered.  He's still an elite defender at 3rd and would start for a lot of teams in the MLB.  He's another guy that would have a higher OPS if not for our Wall.  Gotta factor that in.  

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The wall affects all of our RH hitters at home.  Westburg was very solid to good.  That's really good for a rookie in a pennant chase.  In SSS, he had a much better OPS on the road, and a much better OPS versus LHP.  Those are good signs considering we'll be using some sort of rotational/platoon set up with all of our IF for the near future.  I'm not worried about that dude.  

I'm not necessarily worried about him, but he should be worried for himself considering the glut of infield talent we have.  

The Wall isn't an excuse.

You could rank this list a lot of ways based on personal preference. 

I'd take the ok chance that a guy like Beavers can be a 4-5 win player over the likelihood that Urias will be a good 1-2 WAR utility man.

Both are valuable, but if you prefer probabilities, or near term, or organizational positional need, or upside, or just likely total future WAR, you could really have a different opinion.

The guys I'd rate higher though are DL Hall, Means, Kremer and Wells. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Zero chance he's non tendered.  He's still an elite defender at 3rd and would start for a lot of teams in the MLB.  He's another guy that would have a higher OPS if not for our Wall.  Gotta factor that in.  

I guess you don't realize that Urias has a higher OPS at home (.717) than away (.691).

https://www.mlb.com/player/ramon-urias-602104?stats=splits-r-hitting-mlb&year=2023

These are tough lists to do.

Wildcard is being inconsistent in his rankings..which honestly is the same way I think everyone would be.

How do you balance pure talent vs ML success? How are you balancing close to the majors vs far away?

And do you balance those things the same way throughout the whole list? Chances are you won’t, which is why the inconsistency is there.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

These are tough lists to do.

Wildcard is being inconsistent in his rankings..which honestly is the same way I think everyone would be.

How do you balance pure talent vs ML success? How are you balancing close to the majors vs far away?

And do you balance those things the same way throughout the whole list? Chances are you won’t, which is why the inconsistency is there.

These lists are a bit silly unless the metrics/what being is measured are well defined.  And even then, they're still silly.

The good thing, the good takeaway that we should all be happy about is that there's at least 25 guys here that we can be excited about.

• Like 1