Joey Ortiz for 3B?

RZNJ

30 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I'm not sure this will really be a consideration. Like they're not just going to give these guys away for nothing. They might really try to find the right trades, but if they're not there, some will be in AAA longer than they should.

I never said, "give them away". I'm referring to 2 players, not the whole AAA squad. 

15 hours ago, Jagwar said:

What was Trumbo's run speed?

(ducks)

Mayo is nowhere near as slow as Trumbo right now. Now when Mayo is in his early to mid 30s, will he most likely be pretty slow because of his size, most likely, but that's not an issue the Orioles need to be concerned with anytime soon.

I do think Mayo is fast enough to play RF in Camden Yards, but he needs experience out there in games before he should be an option there. 

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Mayo is nowhere near as slow as Trumbo right now. Now when Mayo is in his early to mid 30s, will he most likely be pretty slow because of his size, most likely, but that's not an issue the Orioles need to be concerned with anytime soon.

I do think Mayo is fast enough to play RF in Camden Yards, but he needs experience out there in games before he should be an option there. 

Who is faster?  Kjerstad or Mayo?

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Who is faster?  Kjerstad or Mayo?

Just chiming in to say that speed is far from the only determinant of who is a good outfielder.   It’s obviously better to be faster, but getting a good jump, having good hands, and having a strong and accurate throwing arm also are important.  It also helps if you’re not afraid to get within five feet of the wall.  

41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just chiming in to say that speed is far from the only determinant of who is a good outfielder.   It’s obviously better to be faster, but getting a good jump, having good hands, and having a strong and accurate throwing arm also are important.  It also helps if you’re not afraid to get within five feet of the wall.  

You covered everything but answering the question.

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

That's exactly what I was wondering. If Mayo's bat is going to be special, and his 3B skills aren't there, and his arm would be wasted at 1B... and the O's didn't want to have a pure DH on the team... Then why not try the outfield?

He could play RF in Camden Yards, but what about other ballparks? For example, would he move to LF at Fenway? 

On 11/2/2023 at 1:33 PM, Frobby said:

It all depends on how fast you expect Holliday and Mayo to be ready to move up.  As things stand, Frazier’s 455 PA and Urias’s 396 won’t ne entirely consumed by adding Ortiz, even considering that Westburg probably gets an additional 300 PA this year.   

If you add in Mateo, that's a heck of a lot of PAs to replace.

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

That's exactly what I was wondering. If Mayo's bat is going to be special, and his 3B skills aren't there, and his arm would be wasted at 1B... and the O's didn't want to have a pure DH on the team... Then why not try the outfield?

He could play RF in Camden Yards, but what about other ballparks? For example, would he move to LF at Fenway? 

We have a need at 1B. I'd rather waste his arm playing a good 1B than have him play a subpar OF. 

My guess is Ortiz is our best defensive shortstop and Henderson is our best defensive third baseman. I'd think that is the best long-term plan. I expect Holliday to play second. If Westburg beats out Ortiz, then he plays second and Holliday plays short with Ortiz as the utility guy.

All just a guess, of course, but that's what I expect. I'd also lean toward Mateo over Urias, at least until Holliday moves up.