New Free Agents

Can_of_corn

10 hours ago, Satyr3206 said:

I don't know. They don't spend  like they used  too

That’s a bit of a myth.  The 2023 Yankees had the highest payroll in MLB and the highest in team history, per BB-ref. The next highest years are 2014, 2013, 2022 and 2019.   

The Yankees have about $27 mm coming off the books for Severino, Montas, Peralta and Weaver.  

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s a bit of a myth.  The 2023 Yankees had the highest payroll in MLB and the highest in team history, per BB-ref. The next highest years are 2014, 2013, 2022 and 2019.   

The Yankees have about $27 mm coming off the books for Severino, Montas, Peralta and Weaver.  

I didn't know that. I thought the Mets had the highest payroll.

7 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I think the Yankees might look at their 2023 season and just see a run of bad luck and injuries, rather than a mediocre team. That might be right, and it might be wrong. They've already got a bazillion dollars invested in their roster, so what's another couple hundred mil between friends. Going into cheap rebuild mode might not even be possible for NY at this point. Once they started they'd be about where we were in 2019, but w/o Elias and Sig calling the shots. I can't see their fanbase quietly waiting it out for the next winning team. 

The irony is that the Yankees had to rebuild in the late 80s and they didn't become their more modern successful selves until they developed a hand full of core players like  Posada, Jeter, Rivera, Petite, and then traded for David Cone.  

It just seems to me that successful teams are the ones a healthy balance of excellent youth development programs sprinkled in with high quality established veterans/stars to supplement the core young players. 

• 2 weeks later...

Aaron Bummer is off the market. Resigned with Philadelphia for 7 years with an AAV of 24.58 Million Dollars. The first domino has fallen to begin free agent signings.

We should also probably take the time to update this thread's list based on the non-tendered players from this week that are currently available.

6 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Aaron Bummer is off the market. Resigned with Philadelphia for 7 years with an AAV of 24.58 Million Dollars. The first domino has fallen to begin free agent signings.

We should also probably take the time to update this thread's list based on the non-tendered players from this week that are currently available.

Nola?

On 11/5/2023 at 2:24 AM, Billy F-Face3 said:

Around the league, it seems like franchises have taken notice of how successful teams like the Orioles and Diamondbacks (and previously the Astros) have been with minimum payroll + drafting and developing. The Mets have totally reversed their strategy in a matter of months and seem to be going for a youth development movement. The Padress have been rumored to want to cut 50-100 million dollars off their payroll. The Yankees got burned by some bad contracts and in spite of one of the highest payrolls, they still came in last place.

I think most of the league is beginning to catch up to the idea that having quality youth talent you can develop, and have them controllable for the foreseeable, is the better (most sustainable) strategy to build a winning organization. (Unless you're the Angels, then you just mortgage the entire farm.)

I have no idea what the Yankees are thinking, but it's still hilarious to me that their best run of my lifetime came essentially as a result of their owner being suspended from baseball and them building a great farm system.

Yet they haven't focused on that since. They're always paying old, slow, players. Yes, they can rake, but they rarely have a full healthy lineup and their pitching staff always has big money on the IL. 

I hope they never change. It's the wrong formula.