FA Starters that fit Elias' pattern

wildcard

I don't agree that all the SPs listed in the orignial post are "Elias type guys", but the minute I saw that Seth Lugo had opted out of his contract I thought he would be an Oriole. And I do think he'd be an upgrade over Kremer and GIbson. Once he got full stretched out last season he was actually going pretty deep into games too. Much better K rate than Gibson as well.

Since I’m 50/50 on giving up what I think it would take for Cease I would take a slight gamble on Eduardo Rodriguez at the mlbtraderumors number of 4/82.  He’s not been a consistent innings eater but he’s been relatively healthy and pretty effective.  No draft pick attached to signing him either. 

Rodriguez turns 31 next year so age isn’t as much a concern as it might be with Sonny Gray who turned 34 today.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I don't agree that all the SPs listed in the orignial post are "Elias type guys", but the minute I saw that Seth Lugo had opted out of his contract I thought he would be an Oriole. And I do think he'd be an upgrade over Kremer and GIbson. Once he got full stretched out last season he was actually going pretty deep into games too. Much better K rate than Gibson as well.

Os did pursue him last year iirc. I think he’s definitely a disappointing possibility.

I like Giolito. He might just need to be in a good situation. Last year was a little crazy for him. Is the Wall, and situation, enough for him to take a 1 yr deal?

He had a .575 home OPS with CWS and a .577 home OPS with LAA. The wheels fell off in CLEV. He’s been homer prone before. The wall would help with that.

Hicks had a nice bounce in our situation.  The Wall helps. Is this finally the FA signing where we are actually the best fit for the player to bounce back?

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Os did pursue him last year iirc. I think he’s definitely a disappointing possibility.

I'd be fine with a Lugo signing as long as he isn't the marquee pitching signing / move. Like I said, I still think he'd be an upgrade over Gibson. Gibson seems like a nice guy / good club house guy, but he's just not a very good / dependable pitcher. And this is a rotation that needs some dependability. I'm also not banking on Means to fill that void and don't think the Orioles should be either. Any/all of the money this team spends in the offseason should go SPs and RPs. 

8 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I'd be fine with a Lugo signing as long as he isn't the marquee pitching signing / move. Like I said, I still think he'd be an upgrade over Gibson. Gibson seems like a nice guy / good club house guy, but he's just not a very good / dependable pitcher. And this is a rotation that needs some dependability. I'm also not banking on Means to fill that void and don't think the Orioles should be either. Any/all of the money this team spends in the offseason should go SPs and RPs. 

The Os should bring in 2 new starters..but they won’t.

Lugo would be the marquee signing.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Os should bring in 2 new starters..but they won’t.

Lugo would be the marquee signing.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until I see how it plays out since this is the first time they'll be going into a season as a legitimate contender in quite awhile. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m expecting one of Gibson, Wells, Irvin, Gibson, Quintana to fill out the rotation with Bradish, Means, GR, and Kremer. Sadly, Elias will have to talk JA into just giving him the money for Gibson. The Wildcard is a trade for Cease… only because we were rumored to have a deal done at the deadline. They could just pick back up at that starting point/framework. 

I never heard a deal was rumored to be done.  Do you have a source?

6 minutes ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

Elias said it him self "I thought I had a deal in place, but it fell through last minute".

In what world is this proof that the deal was for Lugo, Cease or any specific player?

Edited by NCRaven

I probably have a different opinion than most of you. I have ZERO faith in John Means and feel as though he will need "backup" for WHEN he gets hurt. Without a true closer, I would prefer to see Wells in the pen. I am not adverse to Wells starting, but we lack late inning relievers. No way Cano or Webb repeat their "magicial" seasons. My hope is Hall takes another small step forward and becomes a high-leverage reliever, possibly even closer. 

I don't like any of the names from the title thread and would prefer Giolito over them. We all need to realize that there are a finite number of pitchers though. Sometimes you have to take what you can get. 

Average major league team uses 12 starters per season. Add Cease and Giolito, put Kremer in the pen as the long guy and next man up for the rotation. Wells becomes high-leverage reliever and 2nd man up.   

Bradish/Erod/Cease/Giolito/Means (Kremer on deck, Wells in the hole)

Just my thoughts.

Edited by E-D-D-I-E

16 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

In what world is this proof that the deal was for Lugo, Cease or any specific player?

I thought he was saying that about E Rod.  It could have really been about any pitcher.  I have to give Elias credit, there are no leaks in the Warehouse.  The O's have better leak protection than the NSA.

10 minutes ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

I probably have a different opinion than most of you. I have ZERO faith in John Means and feel as though he will need "backup" for WHEN he gets hurt. Without a true closer, I would prefer to see Wells in the pen. I am not adverse to Wells starting, but we lack late inning relievers. No way Cano or Webb repeat their "magicial" seasons. My hope is Hall takes another small step forward and becomes a high-leverage reliever, possibly even closer. 

I don't like any of the names from the title thread and would prefer Giolito over them. We all need to realize that there are a finite number of pitchers though. Sometimes you have to take what you can get. 

Average major league team uses 12 starters per season. Add Cease and Giolito, put Kremer in the pen as the long guy and next man up for the rotation. Wells becomes high-leverage reliever and 2nd man up.   

Bradish/Erod/Cease/Giolito/Means (Kremer on deck, Wells in the hole)

Just my thoughts.

I agree.  Pencilling Means and Wells as season long starters is wishful thinking.  I'll be surprised if Means gets over 120 innings and Wells has already shown he hits a wall around 100 innings. 

• Upvote 1

I really, really hope that the Orioles do better than those names. I'm not sure I would consider any of them an upgrade on what we have and I don't know that just adding depth is a real need with Bradish, Grayson, Means, Kremer, Irvin, Wells, Hall, McDermott, Povich, etc. I might be able to be convinced that Wacha is an upgrade, but I don't want him as a Plan A, B or C. 

Those that are pinning for Nola or Snell are shooting too high (though with someone other than the Angelos family owning the team it shouldn't be shooting too high), but I do think the team could/should land someone like Gray or E-Rod. I know Gray is a Cy Young finalist, but his age does limit the number of years he gets and I don't see the Orioles going long enough for Nola. Gray is a reach, of course, but at least less so. 

Admittedly, I was disappointed with Gibson as the main guy last year. I'll be even more disappointed if we end up with someone in that ilk again as the headliner of our offseason.