Hudson Haskin Rule 5 protection?

wildcard

If the O's are going to protect Hudson Haskin from the Rule 5 draft by adding him to the 40 man roster, today is the day he will be added.   

He had surgery on July 13, 2023 to repair a left hip impingement.   I have not read anything about his recovery.    Haskin had an 821  OPS at AA in 2022 and a 832 OPS at AAA in 2023 in 95 AB.  He has a 367 OBP over the two season at AA/AAA.  He is not a power guy.

There is a disagreement on his speed.    Tony in 2022 call his speed average with marginal fielding instincts.    MLB.com  rates his speed and fielding as 60 which would be good.   Both Tony and MLB rate is arm as below average.  In 2022 Tony rated Haskin as the O's 28th prospect.  His 2023 power ranking has him 30th.  Tony projects him as a 4th or 5th outfielder.  MLB has him as the O's 17th prospect.

Elias selected him on the 2nd round in 2020 and has promoted him each year through the system.  

Hays, Mullins, Santander, Cowser and Kjerstad are all ahead of him.   McKenna and Hilliard have more  major league experience but both are out of options and Elias may try to get them through waivers at some point.  If he does what he did with O'Hearn he would sign them for over a million dollars and hope no one claims them.

What Haskin has that McKenna and Hilliard don't is 3 option years where he can be on the Norfolk/O's shuttle.

Will Haskin be protected today.   Without knowing his health it's hard to say.  Certainly no one seems to be making a big deal out of it.

Edited by wildcard

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Most GMs have a hoarder mentality.

Right, but the 40 man is at 38.  They might try to get Hilliard through waivers and maybe get to 37.    Those 2-3 spots could be for a Rule 5 and one FA.   I assume any trade will be an add and subtract from the 40 man.

I don’t think Elias believes that any of these guys will get chosen AND stick.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Kind of weird to have the #1 minor league system and no fear of losing anyone in the Rule 5 draft.

We already put Kjerstad and Westburg on the 40-man when they were promoted to the big leagues.  They would have been Rule 5 eligible this offseason otherwise.  We just have a ton of top prospects who aren’t yet Rule 5 eligible.  If you look at Tony’s last power ranking, Brandon Young at no. 26 is the first guy who’s not either (1) already on the 40-man, or (2) not yet exposed to the Rule 5 draft.  

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Kind of weird to have the #1 minor league system and no fear of losing anyone in the Rule 5 draft.

By the way, I suspect we won’t have the no. 1 farm system when updated rankings come out in February or so.  The bottom half of our top ten is not as strong as it was a year ago.  It’s still a very good system, especially the top 6.  

McGough seems like the most interesting guy. I doubt Young sticks anywhere.

If Haskin is added, I think it's based on need (assuming McKenna leaves) and optionality. I'm not sure he gets picked and sticks, particularly because of his health, but if I were another team I'd definitely take a flyer on him.

In another thread Tony explained the difference between a first division starter and not, using Vavra as an example of the latter. Haskin seems like a Vavra to me. A guy who could put up 1-2 WAR over a full season for a bad team on a very cheap contract. That has value in this league.

Edited by LookinUp

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

McGough seems like the most interesting guy. I doubt Young sticks anywhere.

If Haskin is added, I think it's based on need (assuming McKenna leaves) and optionality. I'm not sure he gets picked and sticks, particularly because of his health, but if I were another team I'd definitely take a flyer on him.

In another thread Tony explained the difference between a first division starter and not, using Vavra as an example of the latter. Haskin seems like a Vavra to me. A guy who could put up 1-2 WAR over a full season for a bad team on a very cheap contract. That has value in this league.

I don’t think we’ve seen enough of Haskin at the upper levels to know what he is.  Vavra has a better hit tool and better strike zone judgment than Haskin.  Haskin is a better outfielder and has more power but it’s not clear how his offense would translate in the majors.   

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think we’ve seen enough of Haskin at the upper levels to know what he is.  Vavra has a better hit tool and better strike zone judgment than Haskin.  Haskin is a better outfielder and has more power but it’s not clear how his offense would translate in the majors.   

Yeah. That's why he wouldn't be protected. I think he'd be picked on potential/projection. Worse profiles have paid off. 

Just saying. I think a bad team would consider him.