Hudson Haskin Rule 5 protection?

wildcard

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

We already put Kjerstad and Westburg on the 40-man when they were promoted to the big leagues.  They would have been Rule 5 eligible this offseason otherwise.  We just have a ton of top prospects who aren’t yet Rule 5 eligible.  If you look at Tony’s last power ranking, Brandon Young at no. 26 is the first guy who’s not either (1) already on the 40-man, or (2) not yet exposed to the Rule 5 draft.  

Young is the only guy I would consider protecting, but honestly, I doubt anyone would take him. Then again, the Twins didn't think anyone would take Tyler Wells and they are similar pitchers with similar backgrounds. But Elias likes to use his last 4-5 spots to move pieces around throughout a offseason and the last 2-3 during the season, so he may not want to have to put him on if he doesn't think they risk losing him.

2 hours ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Looks like we outrighted Vavra and Davidson off the 40 man. So we're down to 36 on the 40 man.  

From the department of I waiver on whether I understand DFA's and waivers, it appears that both players remain in the organization.  Is that understanding correct? 

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Young is the only guy I would consider protecting, but honestly, I doubt anyone would take him. Then again, the Twins didn't think anyone would take Tyler Wells and they are similar pitchers with similar backgrounds. But Elias likes to use his last 4-5 spots to move pieces around throughout a offseason and the last 2-3 during the season, so he may not want to have to put him on if he doesn't think they risk losing him.

I wonder if this means teams' 40 man rosters are less likely to be cluttered this year? Certainly seems like it would result in a less robust Rule V draft.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think what he was saying is that since he is not protected by being on the 40 man roster he is eligible to be taken in the Rule 5 draft.

From what I understand of the roster rules (which might not be much with all the junk they have in there), anyone that was outrighted and accepted is eligible.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think what he was saying is that since he is not protected by being on the 40 man roster he is eligible to be taken in the Rule 5 draft.

Since any team could have claimed him without the Rule 5 requirement that he be offered back to the previous team if he passes thru waivers, and none did, why would a team take him in the Rule 5 draft?  Doesn't seem logical, does it?  What am I missing?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Since any team could have claimed him without the Rule 5 requirement that he be offered back to the previous team if he passes thru waivers, and none did, why would a team take him in the Rule 5 draft?  Doesn't seem logical, does it?  What am I missing?

Ahhh... you kids with your crazy sense-making.

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

Sounds right.

3 hours ago, Number5 said:

There might be an advantage to not claiming him now and putting him on their 40 man before the draft.  Having said that, I forgot that he passed through waivers before they could assign him to AAA.  🤣

Also as of now we’re deciding to keep Akin and Tate. I guess we’re good with offering them arb too. So it’s their salary plus the possibility of losing two useful pieces in Haskin and Young. I’ve been saying the 40 man roster crunch for this offseason had been overstated, but Haskin is a guy that could be a younger/more optionable piece than McKenna going forward. 

Akin had some of the worst peripherals in all of MLB. Tate elected not to have TJ. Those two both have options, but are they good options?  

• 2 weeks later...

Baseball America does their third update (3.0) on the Rule 5 listing 36 players.   Hudson Haskin is the only Oriole listed.

Hudson Haskin, OF, Orioles

Despite the shortened nature of the 2020 draft, Baltimore still managed to nab three of its 10 best prospects in OF Heston Kjerstad, IF Jordan Westburg and 3B Coby Mayo. But the third-highest bonus of the class actually belonged to outfielder Hudson Haskin ($1,096,800). A draft-eligible sophomore, Haskin rode a standout freshman season and a strong summer wooden bat league performance in the NECBL to the second round. Haskin has been solid across parts of three professional seasons. He spent the entire 2022 season with Double-A Bowie, hitting .264/.367/.455 over 109 games while starting at all three outfield positions and spending a majority of his time in centerfield. Haskin was limited to just 33 total games in 2023, hitting .287/.394/.443. He began the season with Triple-A Norfolk before hitting the injured list on April 17, missing a month of play. He returned to Triple-A on June 8 but played just 10 games before going down with a hip injury that required surgery. Haskin has shown enough impact with the bat and defensive value that he could potentially stick on an MLB roster devoid of outfield depth and versatility.

• Upvote 1