Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

How many pitchers, that this team could reasonably acquire, would you take over Cease?

By reasonably acquire, I’m saying that they aren’t signing anyone to a 4+ year deal. They aren’t giving anyone 9 figures.

They may be able to do it but it’s just not going to happen.

So Cease vs other trade possibilities and any FA pitcher that could get 3 or less years.

Who would you prefer and why?

Stroman on a 1-3 year contract with an opt out after 1 year  because he’s probably looking for something like that where he can capitalize on a big year.  He doesn’t cost a pick or prospects and won’t break the bank.  And he’ll be incentivized to get in the best shape of his life to cash in next year.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

I'd rather have Sonny Gray.

Hell, would you rather have Cease vs. Gibson, Ortiz, and Cowser?

I'd take the latter group.

I agree unless the White Sox come down on their asking price for Cease. Giving up two or three top prospects only to have Cease pitch like he did in 2023 isn't worth the risk.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Doesn't cost prospects, doesn't cost a draft pick.

Just money.

Yeah. Good (younger) veteran guy to add. If Means leaves in free agency, he covers you there too.

Use the prospect capital to target controllable relievers with closer upside who throw gas, and whatever else you might need at the deadline. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Pickles said:

I mean you could make an argument about balancing the roster, but you're almost certainly going to lose that trade from a value perspective.

Well I dont care about Gibson. He’s nothing.

It comes down to the trade. You are worried more about value than winning and btw, I’m not even sure you are right about that. 

Cease can be a difference maker in the playoffs. That’s what we need. Now, the team has to turn things around with him somewhat but Ortiz and Cowser are probably 1.5-3 WAR guys next year. Cease was almost 4 by himself this year.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I mean you could make an argument about balancing the roster, but you're almost certainly going to lose that trade from a value perspective.

From a pure value generated perspective you are going to lose a lot of trades of that sort.

But if an acquisition has an outsized impact on a playoff season that value might be more....valuable...than a what a prospect produces five years down the line.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

From a pure value generated perspective you are going to lose a lot of trades of that sort.

But if an acquisition has an outsized impact on a playoff season that value might be more....valuable...than a what a prospect produces five years down the line.

Correct. At some point, you have to start thinking like a team that wants to win a WS and stop worrying about “winning a trade”.

Of course, how many prospect for proven player trades do we see where we think the team trading the proven player has won the trade and it turns out that the prospects flame out and end up available for free years later?

• Upvote 1