Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

I don't think the White Sox will be looking for a short-term anything.     Colson Montgomery is perhaps like Ryan Mountcastle as the first possible sticky piece of the next good team.

The 2024 contributors like Kremer more for the Burnes or Glasnow bids.    It would be a fantastic control on the Orioles Raysian experiment to switch Kremer and Glasnow and see "who can wear it better".

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Is Norby not a trade chip for you?

No he is for sure…he could factor into this deal. If they don’t want Kremer and want Norby instead, I’m ok with that.

That offer said was more based off of the conversation that was being said on that bad podcast. 

I actually would like to trade Kremer, Mountcastle and one of Hays or preferably Santander this offseason. Those 2 along with several of the prospects would be on the table for me (and Mateo would be a throw in for me if they wanted him) to trade this offseason.

Not saying the WS are interested in all of those guys but it wouldn’t shock me if they would like Mountcastle, who could thrive in that park.

Best case scenario for me is that Mountcastle, Kremer, Ortiz and Norby or Stowers gets us Cease and Kopech.  They can have Mateo as part of this deal too.

I think they would want another impact guy and not want both of the MLers(or maybe not either of them) but if they want to rebuild while also trying to be respectable, that’s the type of deal that could do that. All 4 (or 5 if they want Mateo) of those guys are on the OD roster for them and they are all under team control for a long time, although obviously some longer than others.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Haha 1

Cease seems like the best pitcher we might actually get.

I like that he's so durable. He's made at least 32 starts for three years in a row. 

I also think the White Sox organization and clubhouse was a disaster last year. The good vibes of the Orioles' clubhouse would do him good.

I also think Adley would help him cut down on those wild pitches (he's led the AL in wild pitches 2 of the last 3 seasons).

Maybe we could get Ubaldo again and hope he repeats that one half season that he pitched for under a 2.00 era. Or trade prospects and hope Cease pitches like he did in 2022. To me, it is the same thing. No one would want Cease on here if he didn’t have that one season, he would just be another 4.00+ pitcher. 

1 minute ago, sevastras said:

Maybe we could get Ubaldo again and hope he repeats that one half season that he pitched for under a 2.00 era. Or trade prospects and hope Cease pitches like he did in 2022. To me, it is the same thing. No one would want Cease on here if he didn’t have that one season, he would just be another 4.00+ pitcher. 

Well, there is a little truth to this. I mean, outside of 2022, he has been good. He has off the chart K numbers and swing and miss stuff.

So yes, there are other things.

However, 2022 does make us say, well he has proven that he has a high ceiling. So yea, that matters. That matters more than a similar pitcher who has never had a year like that. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, there is a little truth to this. I mean, outside of 2022, he has been good. He has off the chart K numbers and swing and miss stuff.

So yes, there are other things.

However, 2022 does make us say, well he has proven that he has a high ceiling. So yea, that matters. That matters more than a similar pitcher who has never had a year like that. 

Ubaldo 2.0. You are just setting yourself up for disappointment. We all knew what he was capable of because that one time but you are left with what he normally is and never see that one time again. 

6 minutes ago, sevastras said:

That one half season was his last half season before entering FA and signing with the O’s plus he had a CY Young caliber season 3 years prior.  We could have said the same thing about Blake Snell heading into 2023.  One big year in 2018. 

3 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Ubaldo 2.0. You are just setting yourself up for disappointment. We all knew what he was capable of because that one time but you are left with what he normally is and never see that one time again. 

What Cease is normally, is not bad.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I think they could be interested in Mateo too and I would be looking to expand the deal to include Kopech.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s probably looking at something worthless like fielding%.

Imagine getting criticized by someone who still thinks Jorge Mateo still has any trade value. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know what defensive metric you are citing, but by the advanced metrics, rhe White Sox have been just terrible for at least three straight years:

Rtot: -48(28th), -67(30th), -65(27th)

Rdrs: -40 (28th), -35(26th), -59(29th)

FG Def: -20.1 (22nd), -35.1(28th), -38.5(30th)

And you can see it whenever we play them.  It’s obvious.

I don't remember the site that I was on, but I was looking at a cumulative ranking for overall team defenses in 2023. 

3 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Imagine getting criticized by someone who still thinks Jorge Mateo still has any trade value. 

I never said he has trade value. I said the WS are looking for a short term answer at SS and Mateo could work for him.  I even said he’s a throw in. Throw in doesn’t constitute value.

Morosi specifically mentioned the WS as a team for Mateo last week on MLB radio. I don’t know if he had heard anything or if he was guessing but it makes some level of sense.  

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I never said he has trade value. I said the WS are looking for a short term answer at SS and Mateo could work for him.  I even said he’s a throw in. Throw in doesn’t constitute value.

Morosi specifically mentioned the WS as a team for Mateo last week on MLB radio. I don’t know if he had heard anything or if he was guessing but it makes some level of sense.  

Mateo may be kind of underrated here now, just like he may have been overrated a year ago.  Bad as his offense was, he was worth 0.8 rWAR, 0.5 fWAR, a year after being worth 3.4 rWAR, 2.9 fWAR.   It wouldn’t shock me if he could triangulate that and be a 1.5 - 2.0 WAR player next year if given regular playing time.  In my opinion, his defense declined a bit this year after he stopped getting regular reps and would probably rebound a good degree if he was playing every day again.  (I’m not going so far as to say he’d return all the way to 2022 levels on defense, but better than 2023, which was still pretty good.)