Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I definitely like the term “monster package”…for some reason it immediately makes me think of Mayo + Kjerstad 😁

If you get two prospects that good, it won’t be from Mike Elias, I suspect.  But I still think a Cowser-Ortiz deal could happen.  I personally doubt we’ll get Cease for less than that, in a market like this.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If you get two prospects that good, it won’t be from Mike Elias, I suspect.  But I still think a Cowser-Ortiz deal could happen.  I personally doubt we’ll get Cease for less than that, in a market like this.  

Personally, I'd wait until the deadline then.

I'm not comfortable giving those two up for Cease.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m with you.  I still think Cowser + Ortiz feels like an even trade.  I certainly am not expecting Mayo + Kjerstad no matter how insane the market may be.

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Personally, I'd wait until the deadline then.

I'm not comfortable giving those two up for Cease.

It's a lot to give up, but we've got depth at those positions. Neither Cowser nor Cease are as valuable as they were a year ago. So both may benefit from a change of scenery.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just out of curiosity, what do you plan on doing with Cowser & Ortiz?  Are they simply AAA depth to start the year?

I'd probably give a majority of starts at SS to Ortiz, and depending on performance, I'd give one of Cowser or Kjerstad pretty regular ABs between the COF and DH.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ChicagoTerp said:

It's a lot to give up, but we've got depth at those positions. Neither Cowser nor Cease are as valuable as they were a year ago. So both may benefit from a change of scenery.

I don't think Cowser's lost much value.

I'm willing to give up Cowser.  But as a second piece it should be more like Norby, or Stowers- the thing I know I don't need.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

I don't think Cowser's lost much value.

I'm willing to give up Cowser.  But as a second piece it should be more like Norby, or Stowers- the thing I know I don't need.

Cowser + Norby.  Call it the mini monster package.

• Upvote 1

What makes them fascinating: Baltimore already vanquished the AL East. But with Tampa Bay still competitive, Toronto wanting to improve, New York vowing changes and Boston bringing in a new chief baseball officer, the best division in baseball looks like it's going to get even better. So for as good as Kyle Bradish and Grayson Rodriguez were in the second half, and for the full year of John Means they expect to get, the Orioles can't rest on their laurels. They want a frontline starter -- and in fact were interested in Aaron Nola, sources said. If Baltimore decides it's disinclined to spend in free agency, their infield glut offers plenty of trade opportunities. To be clear, neither shortstop Gunnar Henderson nor the best prospect in baseball, shortstop Jackson Holliday, is going anywhere. Beyond them, the Orioles have plenty of others with value: prospects Coby Mayo, Jordan Westburg, Connor Norby and Joey Ortiz, and veterans Ryan Mountcastle, Ramon Urías, Jorge Mateo and Ryan O'Hearn. The Orioles could trade right-fielder Anthony Santander, who's set to make around $12 million in arbitration, and go with an Austin Hays-Cedric Mullins-Colton Cowser/Heston Kjerstad outfield. Baltimore is so deep, and so entrenched in the middle of a window of success, that getting a pitcher with multiple years of control is the move.

The perfect transaction: Acquire right-hander Dylan Cease from the Chicago White Sox.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/insider/story/_/id/38986551/mlb-free-agency-teams-watch-yankees-mets-padres

Jeff Passan article.

Yet another national writer mentioning some of the ML players.  No idea if they will be in a deal but it’s not uncommon to see a ML Piece in a deal like this.