Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

11 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Will Cease be traded before or after this thread hits 100 pages?  

I’m going with after.  

Considering we're at 92 pages, we're 6 days to the xmas/New Year's week and the Sox are waiting for Yamamoto to sign, I'd definitely take the over.

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Ripken obviously wants to see the model type trophy wife as opposed to just an attractive nice woman.   I chalk up another point for Cease that he doesn’t have Miss Georgia 2020 (I’m assuming his gf wasn’t) in his house and bagging the sexiest, most beautiful babe wasn’t his #1 priority.

NSFW

• Haha 1

On 12/18/2023 at 2:36 PM, Ripken said:

Maybe he could learn to express his art in Legos.  Seems like a good dude for sure but he'll need a dog.  The girlfriend must be a really great person or something.

He can have a pet snake if he can pitch like an ace.  (Yes I know Cease hasn't pitched like an ace except 1 year).

7 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I dug the girlfriend and respect that she didn't treat a team video like a night at the Oscars. 

He seems a little quirky, but is probably just a really great dude. I have good friends like him.

He would probably be the target of practical jokes by guys like Adley and Mountie and I'm ok with that.

Cowser, Ortiz, Baumann, Armbruester for Cease.  Elias will not include Holliday, Basallo, Mayo, or Kjerstad in a trade.  Also none of our top starter prospects.  WS get a top 25 guy, top 60 guy, and two pitchers with reliever floors with starter experience and upside.

Can Cincy, LAD, or Atl top this?

Cincy can go Noelvi Marte, India, Lowder, Petty.   That would be a strong package.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Cowser, Ortiz, Baumann, Armbruester for Cease.  Elias will not include Holliday, Basallo, Mayo, or Kjerstad in a trade.  Also none of our top starter prospects.  WS get a top 25 guy, top 60 guy, and two pitchers with reliever floors with starter experience and upside.

Cincy can go Noelvi Marte, India, Lowder, Petty.   That would be a strong package.

That would check my boxes for guys I wouldn’t want to see moved, but should realistically command a good return. 

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Bidding against yourself.  

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Bidding against yourself.  

Pretty much.  I was okay with Cowser Ortiz.  Just throwing in Baumann and Armbruester to give them some pitching back.  I don’t consider it a big add-on but something you might see if a deal ever gets done.  

12 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

A guy who said the Pirates were talking to Perez a day or 2 before he signed is saying the Pirates are after Cease.

I appreciate info like this. You post a lot of good stuff. 

I do think you’re right about Cease. I’m not worried about the Reds out bidding us. I’m worried if the Dodgers are in because they have a slew of SP arms that aren’t good enough for their dream team, but would make up 2-3 spots of a CWS rotation pretty much immediately. 

I worry about the Pirates too. They have a bunch of pitching in their top 15. 

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/pirates/

They could offer a package, like the dodgers, that we can’t compete with. Pitching. We’re debating over Cowser. If the CWS really want SP we’d have to overpay and that’s why Basallo and Mayo come up. 

I think we’re long shots here. It’s looking more and more like Tyler Wells. If that’s the case then maybe we bring in another RH reliever. 

27 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I appreciate info like this. You post a lot of good stuff. 

I do think you’re right about Cease. I’m not worried about the Reds out bidding us. I’m worried if the Dodgers are in because they have a slew of SP arms that aren’t good enough for their dream team, but would make up 2-3 spots of a CWS rotation pretty much immediately. 

I worry about the Pirates too. They have a bunch of pitching in their top 15. 

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/pirates/

They could offer a package, like the dodgers, that we can’t compete with. Pitching. We’re debating over Cowser. If the CWS really want SP we’d have to overpay and that’s why Basallo and Mayo come up. 

I think we’re long shots here. It’s looking more and more like Tyler Wells. If that’s the case then maybe we bring in another RH reliever. 

Everything you're saying is possible with regards to outside competition for Cease. It's also just as possible that the White Sox like our prospects the most and are waiting for a little more leverage hoping we'll up our offer a bit. That may never happen and they may just end up accepting the offer we have out there, or they may not.

All of this to say, I definitely don't think the O's are long shots by any means, and I'm also not going to assume they're likely to land Cease. The O's continue to be as frequently linked as the Dodgers, Braves and Reds.

I do think Cease should be the top target given the probable prospect cost, control, fit in the rotation and chance to be a key missing piece.

12 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

A guy who said the Pirates were talking to Perez a day or 2 before he signed is saying the Pirates are after Cease.

Not saying this guy's wrong, but kind of an odd fit for the Pirates. They should be focusing on building from within and developing, not trading prospects for a guy who won't really move the needle for them. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Not saying this guy's wrong, but kind of an odd fit for the Pirates. They should be focusing on building from within and developing, not trading prospects for a guy who won't really move the needle for them. 

I think they are an odd fit too.  I have my doubts about the rumor myself but they do have a lot of talent and that division isn’t great, so maybe they feel they could make a run in the next year or 2.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

When you play in a weak division like them you can pop up and “compete” a year or so early. The just signed Perez. They have Keller. Good back end of the bullpen. Skenes is there. After looking at their top 30 list, they have a lot of arms in the upper minors that are really close, and in their top 15.

They could trot out Keller, Cease, Skenes, Perez, and Marco Gonzalez or one of their upper level SP prospects. That’s a good rotation for the NL Central with a team that was in first place for quite a bit last year. 

The Pirates are definitely players here. Like the Dodgers, we’d have to offer a Basallo or Mayo to beat what they can offer because of pitching. Heck, the Pirates might be a fit to do the double and get Kopech too for the #5 spot or SU.