Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Don’t most of these sites including BA do a major rethink of their rankings during the offseason?   I’d say regardless of where anyone was on BA’s last updated list, there will be significant changes when the preseason list is issued in February.   Not saying Petty or Arroyo will be on it; I have no idea who they even are.  

Sure.  Some update at different times though.  BA did an in season update on August 10 so they had some info available from the 2023 season but not complete.  Your buddy at Just Baseball updated his in October so nothing should change there.

I don’t know when mlb last update was but it appears they are about to do the updated 2024 pretty soon.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

How far off the top 100 is fringy?  I know McDaniel listed Povich in his top 100 last year, but nobody else did and I wouldn’t say he improved his standing last season. 

I said fringy because he was listed in McDaniels top 100 and I would argue he did improve his standing with his strikeout rates and having a good ending in AAA.  McDaniel had him top 100 with a bad cup of coffee with Bowie, IIRC, at the end of 2022.

Having said that, I have no real idea if he’s even in someone else’s top 150.  That’s me guessing. Lol

Edited by RZNJ

34 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You’re guessing.  I gave you the updated BA rankings.  Petty and Arroyo are not in the top 100.

No the MLB list has  Reds #2 Lowder, #3 Arroyo, #4 Phillips , and #6 Petty. 

The 1st 3 were all in the MLB.com Top 100 at least until they release a new list (41, 57, & 68). 

Yeah, I know an updated list will be out soon. Even if any of the 3 fall on the new list it’s doubtful they fall out of the top 100. And Petty is a riser 1.72 ERA , 1.15 WHIP in 18 starts in A+ and AA.

2 hours ago, 24fps said:

According to the latest bulletin from deep in the cornfield, this whole site is chock full of internet GM's.  That counts for something doesn't it?

Field (Site) of Dreams works for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Don’t most of these sites including BA do a major rethink of their rankings during the offseason?   I’d say regardless of where anyone was on BA’s last updated list, there will be significant changes when the preseason list is issued in February.   Not saying Petty or Arroyo will be on it; I have no idea who they even are.  

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/reds/

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

No the MLB list has  Reds #2 Lowder, #3 Arroyo, #4 Phillips , and #6 Petty. 

The 1st 3 were all in the MLB.com Top 100 at least until they release a new list (41, 57, & 68). 

Yeah, I know an updated list will be out soon. Even if any of the 3 fall on the new list it’s doubtful they fall out of the top 100. And Petty is a riser 1.72 ERA , 1.15 WHIP in 18 starts in A+ and AA.

Ok. So the mlb list is the be all and end all list we are using?    Is that what the GM’s are using?    

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ok. So the mlb list is the be all and end all list we are using?    Is that what the GM’s are using?    

Have we chosen a list to use? Is one really more important than the other? Have no idea if they use a list or not. Sounds like we’re splitting hairs. 

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Have we chosen a list to use? Is one really more important than the other? Have no idea if they use a list or not. Sounds like we’re splitting hairs. 

Splitting hairs?  Exactly my point.  

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I don’t think it’s that crazy of an ask.  

Cowser, Ortiz, Povich, Fabián.   It might be too much but I don’t think it’s bonkers.

One good point they’ve made.  The bust rate on 40-100 type prospects is really high.   

I think Cowser + Ortiz is about the absolute highest I'd go for Cease. If they wanted a low minors guy or two who I wasn't particularly a fan of, I'd probably throw them in and say, "Sure, whatever."

That offer isn't bonkers, but it's a bit steep, IMO.

• Upvote 1

Just now, ChosenOne21 said:

I think Cowser + Ortiz is about the absolute highest I'd go for Cease. If they wanted a low minors guy or two who I wasn't particularly a fan of, I'd probably throw them in and say, "Sure, whatever."

I agree 100%.  

22 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

What is the equivalent to Ortiz if we take him Out because he doesn’t make as much sense for them?