On Base Percentage

LookinUp

I'm not sure this deserves its own thread, but the O's are in the process of totally transforming their offense toward one that gets on base much more than we have in the past.

It obviously has already begun with the ascension of Henderson and Rutschman. Additionally, Elias's additions of Urias, O'Hearn and Frazier helped with OBP. In any case, I decided to look up minor league on base percentage for a bunch of players. The tldr version of this is we're in the process of replacing guys with new players who get on base a lot more than the guys they're replacing. Here are the numbers:

Minor League OBP

Rutschman: .390
Henderson: .378
Westburg: .371
Holliday: .449
Basallo: .378
Mayo: .384
Cowser: .420
Kjerstad: .382
Ortiz: .357
Beavers: .392
Horvath: .455 (extremely small sample)
Norby: .362

Urias: .352
Frazier: .358
O'Hearn: .356

Mountcastle: .327
Hays: .326
Santander: .335
Mateo: .325
Mullins:. 321

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, harp6 said:

Since you included Horvath, you should also include:

Bradford Jr.: .473 (Extremely small sample)

Tavera: .401 (Extremely small sample)

Fabian: .366 (Good walk rate, but needs to improve his BA)

Agreed. I thought about including Fabian, but decided to cut it off at Norby and top 10 guys. 

It's clearly part of Elias' profile though. He goes with high OBP guys. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I'm not sure this deserves its own thread, but the O's are in the process of totally transforming their offense toward one that gets on base much more than we have in the past.

It obviously has already begun with the ascension of Henderson and Rutschman. Additionally, Elias's additions of Urias, O'Hearn and Frazier helped with OBP. In any case, I decided to look up minor league on base percentage for a bunch of players. The tldr version of this is we're in the process of replacing guys with new players who get on base a lot more than the guys they're replacing. Here are the numbers:

Minor League OBP

Rutschman: .390 - .487
Henderson: .378 - .488
Westburg: .371 - .506
Holliday: .449 - .490
Basallo: .378 - .497
Mayo: .384 - .523
Cowser: .420 - .489
Kjerstad: .382 - .504
Ortiz: .357 - .449
Beavers: .392 - .466
Horvath: .455 - .603 (extremely small sample)
Norby: .362 - .493

Urias: .352 - .419
Frazier: .358 - .365
O'Hearn: .356 - .498

Mountcastle: .327 - .467
Hays: .326 - .508
Santander: .335 - .450
Mateo: .325 - .422
Mullins:. 321 - .423

I added SLG above.  They're not slap hitters either.

• Upvote 1

One question is, how well will it translate.  For those you listed who’ve played in the majors, here’s how their MiL OBP has translated to the majors so far:

Rutschman: .390 - .369
Henderson: .378 - ,329
Westburg: .371 - .311
Cowser: .420 - .286
Kjerstad: .382 - .281
Ortiz: .357 - .206

45 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Agreed. I thought about including Fabian, but decided to cut it off at Norby and top 10 guys. 

It's clearly part of Elias' profile though. He goes with high OBP guys. 

They love Exit Velocity too. When you have both thats someone that probably has a great chance of being drafted, if not a major leaguer. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

One question is, how well will it translate.  For those you listed who’ve played in the majors, here’s how their MiL OBP has translated to the majors so far:

Rutschman: .390 - .369
Henderson: .378 - ,329
Westburg: .371 - .311
Cowser: .420 - .286
Kjerstad: .382 - .281
Ortiz: .357 - .206

We shall see. I'm definitely not accepting their first year OBPs as the final story.

19 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

We shall see. I'm definitely not accepting their first year OBPs as the final story.

Nor should you. I’ll be shocked if these guys aren’t decent in the OBP category.  But I also don’t think they’ll match or come very close to their MiL OBP’s.  

Jackson Holladay really stands out with his numbers.  Sure its one season but wow it was an amazing one.  Give him the robo strikezone and he will be a monster.  He seems to be that locked into what is a strike.  For that matter Gunnar would really be helped by a robo zone.  He also seems to want to be stingy with the swings. 

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Nor should you. I’ll be shocked if these guys aren’t decent in the OBP category.  But I also don’t think they’ll match or come very close to their MiL OBP’s.  

Either way, these guys posted +40 points or more in the minors over guys on our ML roster now. I expect some regression for sure, but this team will be different after moving on from a lot of these guys.