Orioles 2023 #31-50 Prospects

Tony-OH

10 out of 20 are pitchers.  Quite a few from the 2023 draft and a few international guys too.  Pinto and Armbreuster seem like the only carryovers from 2022.

Palacios has a live arm in the limited clips that I’ve seen.  I’m excited to see what he does in 2024.

Can Pham continue channeling his inner David and conquer Goliath?  Inquiring minds…. He’s an underdog who’s easy to root for!

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m pretty surprised not to see Deivy Cruz in here somewhere.  He had a pretty solid season at 19 in Delmarva.  

No. 36 should say Hudson Haskin, not Hunter Haskin.  I’m somewhat encouraged by his write-up.

Cruz will be in the next batch. I had him higher initally but after watching him more, I just have more questions. He's a small left-hander with a low-90s fastball and a sweeper slider and jut a beginning stages of a usable changeup. The command is not very good either so that's a lot to overcome. 

• Thanks 1

There's a lot of guys in that list who were just drafted and haven't really shown their strengths or warts yet. I feel like there's a fair amount of upside here though. I was pleasantly surprised reading that list.

Part of me feels like we're 12 months from being considered a pitching-heavy system, but if Basallo doesn't graduate and a couple of Horvath, Tavera, Liranzo, Sosa, Almeda and Arias really take off, I guess that might not be the case. 

10 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

What percentage of players ranked 30-plus in an organization's depth chart ever make it to the Big League squad?  I have to think it is quite low, right?

No clue. Seems like a few of the arms have a chance to be at least bullpen pieces. Maybe 1/2 becomes a ML starter? 

Without seeing them much on the field, it's hard to project.

42 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

What percentage of players ranked 30-plus in an organization's depth chart ever make it to the Big League squad?  I have to think it is quite low, right?

A relatively unknown 17 yo from the international program vs US drafted players are likely different.  I'd expect the drafted players to be lower, but international I could see being a very mixed bag. 

27 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

A relatively unknown 17 yo from the international program vs US drafted players are likely different.  I'd expect the drafted players to be lower, but international I could see being a very mixed bag. 

Exactly.  Thomas Sosa was #71 last year.  Top 20 this year.   If you are 22 or older and not in the top 30 you’re probably never going to be a top 10 guy.

1 hour ago, Yossarian said:

There are a lot of factors that decide who goes into the top-30, but I would agree that age and time in the system would have to be taken into consideration when it comes to figuring out that percentage. When I look at this 31-50 list, I could see multiple guys breaking out and ending up in the top 30. We'll have a better idea of guys that were just drafted last year after a full season of pro ball next year and of course, ranking  16-17 year olds is tough because some are going to absolutely flame out, and others like Sosa are going to grow three inches and come back a different guy. 

My goal with going out to 75 players increments of Top 30, 31-50, and 51-75 is to give the fan an idea of legitimate prospects (Top 30), Guys that could become Top 30 next year (31-50), and guys to keep an eye on who could break out as well but may have more things that need to happen to get there (51-75).

• Upvote 3