Naoyuki Uwasawa Offer Being Prepared?

Can_of_corn

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I wouldn’t like this as our big starting pitcher move, but I’d be fine paying this kind of money for a guy who could flex between fifth starter and the bullpen.  

Why? Do you find this to be a need?  Is this something you think we are pining for? Did you state entering the offseason that you felt that this was a need?

Edited by Sports Guy

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

Everyone knows the wins only count if you spent a lot in the offseason. 

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Get your priorities straight!  It’s much more important to spend a lot of money in the offseason than have a winning team.

I don't recall anyone on the forum, or anywhere else, thinking that Elias meant "We will continue to not spend but the team will contend for the AL East title." when he said "lift off".

I think it's revisionist history.

Everyone thought he meant they were going to be at least somewhat aggressive in trying to improve the team from the outside.

A lot went right for the team in 2023, it would be foolish to think it will go right again next year.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I don't recall anyone on the forum, or anywhere else, thinking that Elias meant "We will continue to not spend but the team will contend for the AL East title." when he said "lift off".

I think it's revisionist history.

Everyone thought he meant they were going to be at least somewhat aggressive in trying to improve the team from the outside.

A lot went right for the team in 2023, it would be foolish to think it will go right again next year.

I thought it would mean exactly what he meant:

They were now entering the competitive period of the cycle.

Sure looked pretty competitive to me.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Get your priorities straight!  It’s much more important to spend a lot of money in the offseason than have a winning team.

Oh got it. It’s ok that the team makes no effort to improve because they were successful in their penny pinching ways last year. Ok John go ahead and keep that money in your pockets. 

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

Oh got it. It’s ok that the team makes no effort to improve because they were successful in their penny pinching ways last year. Ok John go ahead and keep that money in your pockets. 

You know that fully half of the responses to any criticism of the team this offseason will be answered by they won 101 games.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why? Do you find this to be a need?  Is this something you think we are pining for?

It never hurts to have competition/depth at the back of the rotation in case of injuries, plus I like having a couple of relievers who are capable of going multiple innings.  

The O’s were pretty fortunate last year and only had to use 9 starters, only 7 of whom made 5+ starts.  Here’s the rest of the AL:

TBR 17/9

TOR 8/6

NYY 12/9

BOS 17/9

MIN 10/8

DET 17/9

CWS 11/8

KCR 23/8

HOU 10/9

TEX 10/9

SEA 13/6

LAA 14/9

OAK 24/10

So I think a team really needs at least 9 pitchers they’d be comfortable starting 5+ times.  We have Bradish, Rodriguez, Kremer, Means, Wells, Hall, Irvin and maybe McDermott at some point.  If we add a 1-3 starter that gets us to 9, but a bit of extra insurance doesn’t hurt, especially since we may not want to move Hall or Wells out of a back of the pen spot.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it's revisionist history 

I will try to go back and see exactly what I said at the time people first started bitching about this, but I never believed Elias was signaling a big increase in spending with that remark.  I always thought it was more about winning than spending.  

Edited by Frobby

Just now, Frobby said:

I will try to go back and see exactly what I said at the time people first started bitching about this, but I never believed Elias was signaling a big increase in spending with that remark.  

Big is a nebulous term, I don't think many were expecting a sharp increase but when he started talking about adding a top half of the rotation starter we were not expecting Gibson and Irvin.

Something like 3/63 Bassitt got.