Winter Meetings Thread

Roll Tide

Hyde was just on with the MLB Network guys.

He discussed DL Hall and Tyler Wells on the question about Felix's 2024 absence and bullpen options, so FWIW that's a tea leaf they may be regared as relievers at the moment.   Their mentions came before Cano's.

Holliday's birthday today was mentioned...teenage years are over and were very successful.     Harold Reynolds had an anecdote from Futures Game Jackson gave him a bit of a look when Reynolds, the AL manager, communicated to him he wasn't starting as "the Boston kid" was a veteran.

As it played out it was the short straw for both Marcelo Mayer and Holliday, as LAA Kyren Paris ended up the one shortstop to get two times up.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/nl-futures-vs-al-futures/2023/07/08/742367/live

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I honestly never know when Roch is spitting back something he’s heard from the org and when he’s just spitballing the same way that you and I do.   I don’t have the impression that he spends a lot of time digging.  

It’s almost always what he has heard

8 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Hyde was just on with the MLB Network guys.

He discussed DL Hall and Tyler Wells on the question about Felix's 2024 absence and bullpen options, so FWIW that's a tea leaf they may be regared as relievers at the moment.   Their mentions came before Cano's.

Holliday's birthday today was mentioned...teenage years are over and were very successful.     Harold Reynolds had an anecdote from Futures Game Jackson gave him a bit of a look when Reynolds, the AL manager, communicated to him he wasn't starting as "the Boston kid" was a veteran.

As it played out it was the short straw for both Marcelo Mayer and Holliday, as LAA Kyren Paris ended up the one shortstop to get two times up.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/nl-futures-vs-al-futures/2023/07/08/742367/live

Holliday has that spice. I continue to think he will be the Orioles starting 2B on day 1 of the regular season. Can't discount anything from him at this point. 

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I honestly never know when Roch is spitting back something he’s heard from the org and when he’s just spitballing the same way that you and I do.   I don’t have the impression that he spends a lot of time digging.  

He’s got the one scout contact and uses that scout’s speculation as a story.  He’s got nothing.   

There’s always this line in his stories “a scout from another organization”.  Lol

It’s one guy and it’s his one contact in the entire industry.   

Edited by RZNJ

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He’s got the one scout contact and uses that scout’s speculation as a story.  He’s got nothing.   

There’s always this line in his stories “a scout from another organization”.  Lol

It’s one guy and it’s his one contact in the entire industry.   

Yeah agree, and why would that scout know that the White Sox want Westburg in particular? Unless it's a scout from the WS organization, which seems unlikely that a scout would out his own org.

Edited by interloper

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

One thing I am interested in knowing is how sought after are Orioles prospects vs other teams when you take away our top 3 guys.

That would certainly be interesting info to know for sure.  A similar wonder would be does our development team have the reputation yet to make these guys more desirable?

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

I have been consistently saying I thoroughly expect Holliday to make the O's out of Spring Training.

I know some prominent users disagree.  But i think they are misreading Elias and his history / strategic thinking.

Well if that indeed is true, that would make a significant impact on what they did this off-season as far as trades. That definitely frees up tradeable MI.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But yea, Holliday is going to be in AAA until August.  Lol

You call it typical BS manager talk when it fits your agenda but now the manager saying they’re going to take a long look at him in ST has some substance?  LOL

I don’t think he’ll be down until August.  I also don’t think he has much chance of making the OD lineup no matter how well he hits this spring.  They are going to take a long look and then send him down at least long enough for the extra year of service time while they evaluate Westburg and maybe Ortiz or while Urias keeps a spot warm for him.

12 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I have been consistently saying I thoroughly expect Holliday to make the O's out of Spring Training.

I know some prominent users disagree.  But i think they are misreading Elias and his history / strategic thinking.

I don’t think he makes the team but it’s far more likely he makes the team than they give him the Gunnar treatment.  

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think he makes the team but it’s far more likely he makes the team than they give him the Gunnar treatment.  

The most elite of prospects that we have had in the Elias era have made the team out of Spring Training (Gunnar) or were SUPPOSED to when injuries intervened (Adley).

Basically I think whenever Elias feels he has a decent shot to get the RotY extra picks....he is going to go for it.

3 minutes ago, Aglets said:

The most elite of prospects that we have had in the Elias era have made the team out of Spring Training (Gunnar) or were SUPPOSED to when injuries intervened (Adley).

Basically I think whenever Elias feels he has a decent shot to get the RotY extra picks....he is going to go for it.

I think he will value the service time and having the extra year over a pick for a player that may or may not help us 3-5 years from now.