Boras & Elias Conversations On Extensions

Prayin4Reign

7 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Im glad the O's are being proactive and at least inquiring. Wasnt sure that was the case with JA at the helm. 

An interview with Elias last summer revealed they have an entire team (believe he said 4 people) who do nothing but contract work.  He said that a large part of their time was devoted to creating hypothetical contracts to present to their players and that it is done as an ongoing process throughout the year.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I am sure it was exaggeration (although possibly that frequent this week due to the Winter Meeting). Overall, good sign that O's are in active discussion. If it doesn't happen, it won't be for lack of trying as has been suggested in the past. 

Id like Elias’ take on the situation 

6 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

An interview with Elias last summer revealed they have an entire team (believe he said 4 people) who do nothing but contract work.  He said that a large part of their time was devoted to creating hypothetical contracts to present to their players and that it is done as an ongoing process throughout the year.  

He may show it to agents but their main responsibility is internal budgets long and short term. 

If it's like some other franchises or large corporations he would have a controller level person that reports to him and then subordinates under the controller.   They may report to Eve as I don't see a direct financial report under ME but I'm sure he has those types working for him.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Remember, if they suffer a catastrophic injury they finish their career with essentially nothing. Or they may just turn into a dud. An extension in their first couple years guarantees their family and a generation or two of progeny are set for life, whereas they are guaranteed nothing but the league minimum or next year's arbitration salary. Even if the washout scenario is improbable, there is huge downside risk there. 

An extension makes even more sense for high school draftees like Gunnar and Holliday since they can eliminate the downside risk and guarantee a couple years of $20M+, while still being young enough to hit free agency in the prime of their career. (Of course, Holliday is a special case since he is already rich, unless Matt comes from the Warren Buffet school of parenting). 

Anyone considered for extention has insurance for that case.  Nothing like an extention for sure but I know the family of a top 5 pick who carried a $10m insurance policy in college prior to being drafted.  Any agent at that level should have his clients insured.

16 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I don't take anything Boras says at face value. He likes to embellish things and be a showman.

This is certainly the case, but him acknowledging that conversations have taken place is a good sign that the organization is willing to extend these guys and spend money. 

4 hours ago, emmett16 said:

I wonder how much that group of 4 makes per year. My first thought was that AI could probably handle the task pretty easily, but what do I know?

6 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I wonder if the Sigbot leverages something like ConstantContact where Boras Corp gets a text every 12 or so hours:

Noon today - will Gunnar accept 8/80.314?

Midnight tonight - will Gunnar accept 8/80.315?

This is brilliant!