Bloomberg: Carlyle Group/David Rubenstein In Talks To Purchase Orioles

ThisIsBirdland

I hope I'm not throwing cold water on this but.....I spoke to an acquaintance yesterday who is a junior associate with Boras.  He won't talk in specifics about teams or players but one of the things I asked about was an Orioles sale, they had heard something when the lawsuit broke-he thought that the story from a couple weeks ago was related to that.   

I also asked about ME in a general way given the comments from Boras.  He wouldn't speak specifically to that but did say that ME is thought as an elite GM one of the 5 or so GM's they look to for direction or is quoted (can't remember his verbage) at their yearly planning meeting.  The Orioles management team is viewed as "extremely professional".

Doesn't mean it's not going to happen, he just hadn't heard anything??

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

My belief is Elias is the best thing to happen to this org maybe ever…but I would still take my chances with the new owner and quite frankly, my reasoning is simple…ownership can essentially last forever…but someone could swoop in and offer Elias 15M a year to run their org and he rolls out.

Theoretically, that could happen at any point. So, I’d take my chances on new ownership.

I think long term, a guy like Rubenstein stands a better chance of retaining Elias than John Angelos does, because he can afford to pay Elias whatever the going rate is for a top GM.

• Upvote 2

Just now, DenaOsHon said:

Any sense on how long this could take? I assume it would be next offseason? There is a lot to clean up with the lease, masn dispute and Angelos health. 

I would guess anywhere from 6-8 months. 

Snyder announced he was considering selling in November of ‘22, it was finalized in July. He had a lot to clean up, too. 

Also depends if an MLB team can transfer ownership in the middle of the season. Dunno if there are rules about that. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

This guy went to Duke.  I'm sure he and @Frobbycan swap legal stories while also reminiscing about Coach K or something.

Both Rubenstein and I went to Duke before Coach K was there.  In Rubenstein’s case, he was going to Duke when Coach K was playing for Army.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I would guess anywhere from 6-8 months. 

Snyder announced he was considering selling in November of ‘22, it was finalized in July. He had a lot to clean up, too. 

Also depends if an MLB team can transfer ownership in the middle of the season. Dunno if there are rules about that. 

I’m pretty sure there aren’t rules about that.   I was at a Nats game the day the sale to the Lerners closed, sitting directly behind them.  They had an entourage of about 40 people and were quite giddy.  

• Upvote 1