Bloomberg: Carlyle Group/David Rubenstein In Talks To Purchase Orioles

ThisIsBirdland

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Is anyone else like me where this is interesting news but you don't feel strongly one way or the other at this point in time? Because that's where I'm at. 

I am neither excited nor dismayed by this news/rumor. We don't know very much and it will be a long time before we do, if ever. 

In the meantime, I will continue the handwringing about trading for a SP and hoping we sign the damn lease. 

Sorta feels like November 2022 when it was announced that Snyder was exploring selling the team.  Kinda came outta nowhere, no one was expecting it but it was the cause for a lot of positivity. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sorta feels like November 2022 when it was announced that Snyder was exploring selling the team.  Kinda came outta nowhere, no one was expecting it but it was the cause for a lot of positivity. 

In the article it says "talks may still fall apart", which to me sounds like a 5-word definition of "Orioles". So... ya know. We thought the lease was signed until Angelos pulled the rug out. He always finds ways. Angelos can't stop tripping over himself with everything he does, so I remain skeptical that a multi-billion dollar transaction is right around the corner. 

16 minutes ago, Pickles said:

You have any evidence for what kind of guy I am?  Ya don't, but you're sure going to paint with that broad brush.

Peter Angelos running his team like a trial lawyer is exemplified by him haggling over every little thing, over refusing to invest in the future, over trying to "win" every single deal, from the players, to the managers, to MLB, to the TV networks.  He was a terrible baseball owner.

That said, I have complimented him before for his charitable givings, particularly to the city.

I do care how Rubenstein made his money, and I do think it reflects on how he'd run his ball club.  You can call "leveraging relationships;"  others might call it gross corruption.

No one becomes a billionaire without cutting corners 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Oh, I've got plenty of evidence as to what kind of guy you are.  If judging by your posting style, I'm fairly confident you like to pick nits whenever at all possible and delve into debates on semantics with a disagreeable streak an inch deep and a mile long.  :)

You can say that Angelos ran his team like a trial lawyer, you might not be wrong in that regard but I think the overriding perceptions of him came down to him being a cheapskate (you call it haggling) and being thin skinned (Jon Miller). 

As for "gross corruption" I don't care.  I really don't.  Just win and spend a little money on the emerging core.  Keep Elias here.  That's really it.

But none of that has to do with the initial charge against me of disliking all billionaires or whatever.  Glad we cleared up that you just pulled that out of your ass.  Hope that's not too disagreeable for you. 

Glad we could also clear up that you don't disagree with me about characterization of Angelos' ownership tenure, besides some semantic debate.  Which is weird because you never delve into debates on semantics.  In fact, you find it quite disagreeable apparently.  Weird.

If this guy turns out to be some great owner, awesome.  I'll love it.  There's nothing to suggest that, and just "Ding Dong!  The Wicked Witch is dead!"  is not a accurate or full assessment of what is obviously a huge development for the Orioles.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

No one becomes a billionaire without cutting corners 

Cutting corners is one thing.  Gross corruption is one thing.

I find the guy's career arc interesting.

He's a government lawyer.  He starts a VC fund in DC.  He becomes a billionaire.  He gives a lot of "charity" to government organizations.  That's a tidy little loop there, isn't it?

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

But none of that has to do with the initial charge against me of disliking all billionaires or whatever.  Glad we cleared up that you just pulled that out of your ass.  Hope that's not too disagreeable for you. 

Glad we could also clear up that you don't disagree with me about characterization of Angelos' ownership tenure, besides some semantic debate.  Which is weird because you never delve into debates on semantics.  In fact, you find it quite disagreeable apparently.  Weird.

If this guy turns out to be some great owner, awesome.  I'll love it.  There's nothing to suggest that, and just "Ding Dong!  The Wicked Witch is dead!"  is not a accurate or full assessment of what is obviously a huge development for the Orioles.

None of that also has to do with your initial panic that this guy might not live another 10 years and the fear that we'd have to go through the rigors of another sale of the team, but here we are.  

I also never said that I delve into debates on semantics, that's just you putting words in my mouth which is another wheelhouse of yours. :) 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You are way off base here.  David Rubenstein is very well respected and very civic-minded.  

The Carlye group isn’t a defense group that specifically got rich off the war in Iraq? Did you know Bin Laden family had a 2 million dollar stake in Carlye Group up until October 2001? That’s on there Wikipedia. 

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Cutting corners is one thing.  Gross corruption is one thing.

I find the guy's career arc interesting.

He's a government lawyer.  He starts a VC fund in DC.  He becomes a billionaire.  He gives a lot of "charity" to government organizations.  That's a tidy little loop there, isn't it?

Not really.

First, he started his VC fund with a group of people, it wasn't just him.  Their backgrounds were in finance and government and it started with a fairly modest sum of money, like 5-10 million.  They acquired a lot of companies based in defense and there's a lot of money in that.  

You make it seem like he did it overnight, the Carlyle Group started in the mid to late 80s, this just didn't happen all of a sudden.