MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

I wonder if the time is now right for the relievers like Hader, Neris, Stephenson, and Jordan Hicks, to start signing.

Also, Jordan Montgomery is just a perfect fit for us. Hates the NYY. Had a ship and chip on his shoulder. Both of those are good when you’re about to sign a SP to a long term deal. LH. Plays up on OPACY. He’s been pretty healthy in his career. Has a sinker with our IF defense. He’s not an Ace, but he could be our top playoff SP at OPACY.

I feel like if we had PA instead of JA we could get a deal done. It’d be a tough physical and have deferalls, but there’s some room here to make a deal. But at the end of the day… we’re asking JA to voluntarily give $25 million out of his pocket next year. So that ain’t happening. 

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Reading about Imanaga, this has a chance to be a really cheap deal and a steal. Wonder if the Os even bothered to do any research on him?

I'm sure they did, but my guess is he was probably never considered a realistic target because of the length of his projected contract. It's definitely an interesting / team friendly contract dollar wise. Most of the risk (i.e., those potential bonus years) seems to be on the player's side, which is a bit unique. It's almost like a long term "prove it" contract for the first few years, which honestly makes a lot of sense for someone transitioning from a completely different league to MLB.  It's ashame it's the exception and not the norm. 

I listened to a podcast recently where they discussed Imanaga and the comp they gave was Bailey Ober. It sounds like there were some concerns about his strikeout rate translating to the MLB because he doesn't throw that hard (by modern day standards) and I believe he only throws three pitches. That's probably why there was some talk of some teams viewing him more as a MLB reliever than a starter. They also mentioned some concerns about his potential home run rate. I think it's already highish by MLB standards and you have to assume that it will increase against better competition. 

One other interesting thing that they mentioned was that the Nippon Professional League has been going through a bit of a dead ball era over the last few years. For example, I think they said that the average ERA in the league was 3.26ish last season. I don't have time to fact check the league-wide ERA number so someone please correct me if I heard it wrong. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm sure they did, but my guess is he was probably never considered a realistic target because of the length of his projected contract. It's definitely an interesting / team friendly contract dollar wise. Most of the risk (i.e., those potential bonus years) seems to be on the player's side, which is a bit unique. It's almost like a long term "prove it" contract for the first few years, which honestly makes a lot of sense for someone transitioning from a completely different league to MLB.  It's ashame it's the exception and not the norm. 

I read that the Cubs offer wasn't the biggest deal.

He left money on the table.

21 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I listened to a podcast recently where they discussed Imanaga and the comp they gave was Bailey Ober. It sounds like there were some concerns about his strikeout rate translating to the MLB because he doesn't throw that hard (by modern day standards) and I believe he only throws three pitches. That's probably why there was some talk of some teams viewing him more as a MLB reliever than a starter. They also mentioned some concerns about his potential home run rate. I think it's already highish by MLB standards and you have to assume that it will increase against better competition. 

One other interesting thing that they mentioned was that the Nippon Professional League has been going through a bit of a dead ball era over the last few years. For example, I think they said that the average ERA in the league was 3.26ish last season. I don't have time to fact check the league-wide ERA number so someone please correct me if I heard it wrong. 

I was more referring to the posting process and wondering if the Os even inquired because of that?

That said, I was reading that his spin rates and movement are really strong and people think that should translate to missed bats. We’ll see, you never how these guys will translate.  Chen was thought to be a reliever by most and he was one of the best FA signings in Os history, maybe the best.

33 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I wonder if the time is now right for the relievers like Hader, Neris, Stephenson, and Jordan Hicks, to start signing.

Also, Jordan Montgomery is just a perfect fit for us. Hates the NYY. Had a ship and chip on his shoulder. Both of those are good when you’re about to sign a SP to a long term deal. LH. Plays up on OPACY. He’s been pretty healthy in his career. Has a sinker with our IF defense. He’s not an Ace, but he could be our top playoff SP at OPACY.

I feel like if we had PA instead of JA we could get a deal done. It’d be a tough physical and have deferalls, but there’s some room here to make a deal. But at the end of the day… we’re asking JA to voluntarily give $25 million out of his pocket next year. So that ain’t happening. 

If we had PA instead of JA we’d have some retread GM and Montgomery wouldn’t want to sign with a 70-75 win team with no future.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Montgomery would have been perfect before his strong second half and postseason, for all those reasons and because he doesn’t have a QO attached either. But he’s a Boras guy and Boras is holding out for huge contracts for him and Snell. It’s also rumored that he strongly wants to return to the Rangers. 

If Montgomery could be had for something like 4/80 I think the Orioles could have been in on him, if Angelos doesn’t have a strict prohibition on long term deals now. The Orioles went to 4 years in the past for Ubaldo and Cobb (not that those worked out well…). I think Montgomery going to end up much closer to Nola’s deal which is way out of the Orioles’ range. I’d be very surprised if he signs for less than 5/125 (although maybe he takes less just to be able to go back to TEX, no state income tax).

1 hour ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Montgomery would have been perfect before his strong second half and postseason, for all those reasons and because he doesn’t have a QO attached either. But he’s a Boras guy and Boras is holding out for huge contracts for him and Snell. It’s also rumored that he strongly wants to return to the Rangers. 

If Montgomery could be had for something like 4/80 I think the Orioles could have been in on him, if Angelos doesn’t have a strict prohibition on long term deals now. The Orioles went to 4 years in the past for Ubaldo and Cobb (not that those worked out well…). I think Montgomery going to end up much closer to Nola’s deal which is way out of the Orioles’ range. I’d be very surprised if he signs for less than 5/125 (although maybe he takes less just to be able to go back to TEX, no state income tax).

Yeah, I think you nailed it.  Montgomery wants to go back to Texas.  Why not?  He just won a ring there and was one of their postseason heroes.  I like the guy even more that he doesn't like the Yankees.  Talk about a guy that we could all really root for.  He'd be pitching with a grudge against them like Mussina did to us for years.  

Elias has a budget.  Obviously.  Next year we have Kimbrel, Santa, Means, and O'Hearn coming off the books.  With likely Hays and Mullins being dealt.  If Elias gave him 5/125 and structured it to pay less in year one, more in year two, and alot of deferalls, then maybe we could have something.  But that's getting JA to take money out of his pocket, which is much more impossible than the CWS demands.  

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The rare prospect for prospect trade…Busch was a guy that some thought could interest the WS in a Cease deal.

I would've liked if we could've done something similar, but instead of getting Michael Busch, we could've gotten one of their AAA SP.  Then again, we keep seeing a reoccuring theme... pitchers are more valuable/cost more than bats.   

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I would've liked if we could've done something similar, but instead of getting Michael Busch, we could've gotten one of their AAA SP.  Then again, we keep seeing a reoccuring theme... pitchers are more valuable/cost more than bats.   

The pitching prospect the Cubs gave up is apparently a good one.  Not sure we have that guy right now. 

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The pitching prospect the Cubs gave up is apparently a good one.  Not sure we have that guy right now. 

Jackson Ferris.  A heck of a get for them.  Would love to do something similar with Ortiz or Norby, but I don't think either could fetch essentially a 1st rd pitcher.  

Now, will Mike Elias be able to arbitrage Jordan Westburg or Joey Ortiz like Andrew Friedman just did Michael Busch?

Elias has that game going on with both outfielders and infielders.     Heck I'd even say catchers as I could see at least the Marlins really being able to use James McCann first string coming off a playoffs year.

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Jackson Ferris.  A heck of a get for them.  Would love to do something similar with Ortiz or Norby, but I don't think either could fetch essentially a 1st rd pitcher.  

Yeah, Ferris was a big give up and a guy I had pegged for the top 100 in 2024. The second guy was Zyhir Hope who the Cubs over slotted in the most recent draft and has some ceiling to him, but Ferris was absolutely the big get for LAD. With that said, I do absolutely love Busch's bat and have for a few years now. He's headed to 1B or DH, but I have few doubts he's going to hit.

10 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Yeah, Ferris was a big give up and a guy I had pegged for the top 100 in 2024. The second guy was Zyhir Hope who the Cubs over slotted in the most recent draft and has some ceiling to him, but Ferris was absolutely the big get for LAD. With that said, I do absolutely love Busch's bat and have for a few years now. He's headed to 1B or DH, but I have few doubts he's going to hit.

This should show us the premium that's placed on pitching.  The Dodgers traded away a bat that is as finished as a milb product can get for a prospect that has one year in the pros post high school.  And I like what the Dodgers did.