Jack Flaherty to TIgers, 1 year, $14 million

SteveA

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Somewhat related, I kind of wonder what happens to Fuji this offseason. The Royals have been pretty active for a losing club, I could see him going over there and trying to establish himself in the bullpen over a full season. He will get a deal somewhere, he throws too hard to not. 

Outside of his performance I don't think I've genuinely liked an Oriole as a person more than Fuji in quite a long time. Genuinely rooting for him to figure things out and have success because he seems like a really honest, humble and good dude. 

1 minute ago, HakunaSakata said:

Outside of his performance I don't think I've genuinely liked an Oriole as a person more than Fuji in quite a long time. Genuinely rooting for him to figure things out and have success because he seems like a really honest, humble and good dude. 

I mean. How can you not like this guy right?

image.png.2ce7a3cf7859aa8df8a5592911959a3f.png

18 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Malike ridiculed me when I reacted to the news of the Orioles trading for him by saying "he sucks" but it looks like the majority of Orioles fans agree with me based on how many people are happy to see him leave.

If this is the market on a subpar free agent pitcher, the Orioles will pass and they'd be right right to do so. Just go with Wells, Irvin, Hall,  McDermott, Povich, and/or Johnson to get through the season in the 5th spot and the next man up. (Zimmerman is still an arm they have for emergencies and double headers too.)

Agreed that Flaherty and likely other free agents are getting way too much money.  This, combine with the surplus of position talent the Orioles have, underscores why a trade makes sense. 

Are pitcher's salaries going up because pitchers are breaking down physically more frequently?  Maybe it's just my personal bias/ observation, but it seems like pitchers are going to the IL and surgery room a lot more now than they used to.   This has created a buyer's market on mediocre pitching help 

3 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Are pitcher's salaries going up because pitchers are breaking down physically more frequently?  Maybe it's just my personal bias/ observation, but it seems like pitchers are going to the IL and surgery room a lot more now than they used to.   This has created a buyer's market on mediocre pitching help 

I think pitcher's salaries are going up because the only notable players signing deals are pitchers. 

Next year Soto will be a FA and we can talk about how position player's salaries are going up.

21 hours ago, HakunaSakata said:

I want him back and see if we can fix him. 

On 12/15/2023 at 11:30 AM, HakunaSakata said:

It's hard not to pull for a deer in headlights and hope they don't get struck down.  

Edited by emmett16

Just now, Frobby said:

I couldn’t think of Flaherty’s name when I was doing that Sporcle quiz yesterday.  I could picture him, remembered the trade but couldn’t conjure his name.  That’s the impression he made.  Still, he’d got the potential to bounce back.  

Oh he made a memorably bad impression on me.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I couldn’t think of Flaherty’s name when I was doing that Sporcle quiz yesterday.  I could picture him, remembered the trade but couldn’t conjure his name.  That’s the impression he made.  Still, he’d got the potential to bounce back.  

Those sporcle quizzes are agonizing to me.  I do them every so often with different Orioles past rosters and lineups and there always one or two you can see the guys face but can’t think of name or a position and it 3 years in a row and can’t figure out who it is.  The first time I did the Opening day lineup from 1993- 2022 I missed Jeffery Hammonds on the list not major to some but I wore number 11 all throughout high school because of him so no idea how I forgot that one.  

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not that anyone asked, but if you want to know how I did on that quiz, note that I forgot Danny Coloumbe, couldn't spell Krehbiel (or whatever it is) or Bemboom for some reason. I just gave up with 3 minutes left and 30% not answered.

On 12/14/2023 at 10:03 PM, Billy F-Face3 said:

Malike ridiculed me when I reacted to the news of the Orioles trading for him by saying "he sucks" but it looks like the majority of Orioles fans agree with me based on how many people are happy to see him leave.

If this is the market on a subpar free agent pitcher, the Orioles will pass and they'd be right right to do so. Just go with Wells, Irvin, Hall,  McDermott, Povich, and/or Johnson to get through the season in the 5th spot and the next man up. (Zimmerman is still an arm they have for emergencies and double headers too.)

Did I ridicule you? Really? I'd love to see what I posted because I sure can't find it in the Flaherty threads. I'm not known for ridiculing people, even those who deserve it.

Oh, I said thank God you don't run the team. That's ridicule in 2023, apparently. Guess I should retake sensitivity training for the fourth time.

Edited by Malike
  • Haha 1