What about Mayo?

RZNJ

34 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Why TF would you "purge" a roster that's coming off 101 wins?

Like what's the mentality behind that?

I think purge is the wrong word but I don’t think the team loses much, if anything, if they had dealt one of Santander/Hays/Mountcastle and one of Urias or Mateo.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, RZNJ said:

That’s right but Mateo is the other outfielder.  That’s the whole reason they have him playing there.  So they can carry Kjerstad and not another outfielder whose main job is to backup Cedric.  Also why Kjerstad is getting starts in LF.   He’ll definitely play LF on the road and If he looks good enough he will even get LF starts at home.

Unfortunately that plan potentially weakens the outfield defense. I'm not sold that Mateo can backup Mullins or any other outfield spot. And his .607 OPS just magnifies the weakness IMO. 

I just can't be enthusiastic about a plan that involves Mateo as a backup CF and Kjerstad as a backup LF in front of Walltimore.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Unfortunately that plan potentially weakens the outfield defense. I'm not sold that Mateo can backup Mullins or any other outfield spot. And his .607 OPS just magnifies the weakness IMO. 

I just can't be enthusiastic about a plan that involves Mateo as a backup CF and Kjerstad as a backup LF in front of Walltimore.

I think Cowser makes the team over Kjerstad due to his defensive versatility. He could be the primary RF, along with spelling Hays and Mullins to keep them fresh. Give santander more DH and off days. He and Hays could both benefit from getting more games off.

34 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Who is he in the way of?

Mayo and/or Holliday.

Gunnar/Holliday/Westburg can all play SS. We don't need him.

34 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

Nobody, but you’re bringing facts to an argument based on emotion.

It's not emotion. It's fact. If this team is all about winning, then he needs to go. I don't want to hear about defense and I don't want to hear OMG dude can run so fast! 

Let's keep this scrub on the team for what?

image.png.31a484581da3629fbfa23bcac81ec763.png

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Mayo and/or Holliday.

It's not emotion. It's fact. If this team is all about winning, then he needs to go. I don't want to hear about defense and I don't want to hear OMG dude can run so fast! 

Mateo started 97 games last season. He probably projects to start half of that this year. Who do you want on the roster that starts less than 50 games?

Mayo, Holliday, Westburg, etc are not going to be on the roster as bench players.

• Upvote 2

Just now, spleen1015 said:

Mayo and/or Holliday.

I know what Baseball Savant is, but thanks for the screenshot.

The way Holliday has been deployed so far, it appears he is starting at 2nd on opening day. He is not blocked by anyone.

Mayo is not blocked by Mateo. How many plate appearances do you think Mateo will get this year? I would guess that unless he plays like he did last April, he will get between 125 and 200. Would you be comfortable with Mayo getting 125 to 200 plate appearances in the big leagues or would you want him playing everyday at Norfolk? You’ll find no bigger fan of Coby Mayo than me. I don’t want him in that role.

If you tell me that Mayo is going to start at 3rd, Holliday at 2nd, and that Westburg moves to a utility role, with Urias inheriting the 26th man on the roster role, that is fine. I’m not sure Urias’ skill set makes sense in the 26th man on the roster role, but I’d be fine with it. The point is, he is not blocking anyone because he is playing a very small role on the team this year.

2 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

My apologies for bringing Coby Mayo up in the Coby Mayo thread 

Mayo would be my starting third baseman on opening day, but I think they’re initially going to give Westburg some run.

50 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

It doesn't really matter if you're enthusiastic about it or not.  Elias has come right out about the plan for Mateo and it doesn't take to much detective work to see how they hope to use Kjerstad. 

51 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

@forphase1  Given that my post appears to have confused you, please explain to me who Mateo is blocking as the 2nd utility infielder, fifth outfielder, and pinch runner?

It's simple, IMO.  Every at bat that Mateo gets is blocking a more talented hitter from getting said at bat.  Whether we are talking blocking Westburg as a utility infielder subbing in for the starting 3 of Holliday, Henderson and Mayo (the lineup I'd love to see with Westburg starting 4+ times a week subbing in for one of them, and shuffling things around), or starting SS frequently because Mayo and Holliday are left in AAA again, etc., regardless it's taking away at bats that could be used for a better hitter.  

The problem, for me at least, is that I have yet to see ANY evidence that Hyde/Elias will use Mateo as you suggest.  If he was TRULY just a 2nd utility infielder, fifth outfielder or a pinch runner, then I wouldn't mind nearly so much him being on the team.  Getting a spot start here and there, and pinch running in key situations, but otherwise riding the pine.  But he won't be used that way.  Even late last year, when his bat had cratered, his defense had drastically slipped and he wasn't nearly as impactful on the basepaths, he still started a 1/3rd of the games.  We have talented hitters who need at bats, and every at bat Mateo takes is an opportunity lost that either 1) a better hitter could have gotten or 2) a more talented hitter who needs experience against MLB pitching could have gotten.