O’s Sign Suarez and Perez

Roll Tide

24 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

With 3 IP, appears they are stretching him out for AAA rotation. Depending on how he does and if the need arises, he could be a starter. Pitched 170+ and 160+ the last two years. 

If he continues to miss bats like that, my opinion is that he will go North. With Bautista out, the Orioles need someone in the pen that can give them a strikeout when needed.

At 34 I can't imagine he has any options.  So any AAA talk would be exposing him to waivers.  

I feel like whether as a long man, bullpen, spot starter, that losing him for nothing isn't high on the teams to do list.  Hopefully he can be a solid addition to the MLB roster, no matter the role they give him.

2 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

At 34 I can't imagine he has any options.  So any AAA talk would be exposing him to waivers.  

I feel like whether as a long man, bullpen, spot starter, that losing him for nothing isn't high on the teams to do list.  Hopefully he can be a solid addition to the MLB roster, no matter the role they give him.

He's on  a minor league contract.   He can be sent down and kept.  

3 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

He’s not on the 40-man roster, he’s signed to a minor league contract. So they can put him in AAA without exposing him to waivers. Higher profile minor league contracts can have opt outs, he could have one but I doubt he does. 

2 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Whew. This dude has a MLB fastball. 

Average velo 96.3. Spin rate 2452. 28 pitches, 17 swings, 10 whiffs. 

I’m with RZNJ, I don’t know how Elias found this guy or how he’s throwing 3 mph harder at age 34 than when he was last pitching in the MLB in 2017, but I want to see him in short relief.

It’s a shame, I think he has no options so he’s probably ticketed for AAA no matter what, but I think we’re going to see him in the majors this year. And potentially much more than anybody would have expected.

He doesn't need to be optioned, he's a NRI on a minor league contract. Unless he has an opt out, he can be sent to Norfolk outright. Only if they put him on the 40-man roster will his no options matter.

Edit: CaptRedbeard had this one already.

I found it interesting that he started and went three innings. Looking at his statcast info, he's throwing his fastball mostly and it's really playing well because of so many swings and misses. Since he can be sent to the minors, if he doesn't claim a bullpen spot, they may very well use him as starting pitching depth in AAA. 

He's an interesting story so far for sure after this outing. 

42 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

As others have said he is on a minor league contract. If anything that favors stashing him to see if he is for real over a larger sample. Otherwise if he struggles we would be in a situation of having to DFA.

Again today, watched pitchers throwing strikes. Suarez was dominant. I think we need to give more credit to the coaches that are working with these pitchers. Our development system is special, and it's been a long time since I've felt that way.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

He doesn't need to be optioned, he's a NRI on a minor league contract. Unless he has an opt out, he can be sent to Norfolk outright. Only if they put him on the 40-man roster will his no options matter.

Edit: CaptRedbeard had this one already.

I found it interesting that he started and went three innings. Looking at his statcast info, he's throwing his fastball mostly and it's really playing well because of so many swings and misses. Since he can be sent to the minors, if he doesn't claim a bullpen spot, they may very well use him as starting pitching depth in AAA. 

He's an interesting story so far for sure after this outing. 

I meant that his lack of options and being a NRI hurts his chances of making the Opening Day team, just because adding him to the pen locks up another spot in the pen that can’t be optioned. I think they’re likely to have one guy who can be optioned the first time they need a fresh arm, like Baker/Zimmermann/Akin. If Suárez had an option he could take that initial spot or be in that mix for the next replacement cycling through. 

If Suárez is anywhere near as good as he looked today it won’t matter, they’ll make a spot for him, but the fact that he doesn’t have an option likely works against him in that it’s probably easier to get a shot as part of the Norfolk shuttle crew.

17 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

I meant that his lack of options and being a NRI hurts his chances of making the Opening Day team, just because adding him to the pen locks up another spot in the pen that can’t be optioned. I think they’re likely to have one guy who can be optioned the first time they need a fresh arm, like Baker/Zimmermann/Akin. If Suárez had an option he could take that initial spot or be in that mix for the next replacement cycling through. 

If Suárez is anywhere near as good as he looked today it won’t matter, they’ll make a spot for him, but the fact that he doesn’t have an option likely works against him in that it’s probably easier to get a shot as part of the Norfolk shuttle crew.

I didn't question your take, I just meant you had answered the guy's question already about being an NRI and on a minor league contract.

16 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Stuff looks filthy.  Crazy 

For some reason, hitters didn’t pick up the ball well against him. I didn’t see filthy stuff. I saw bad timing. But, if he’s doing something deceptive with his delivery I wouldn’t notice it. 

2 hours ago, Too Tall said:

Again today, watched pitchers throwing strikes. Suarez was dominant. I think we need to give more credit to the coaches that are working with these pitchers. Our development system is special, and it's been a long time since I've felt that way.

Weird. Only 5.6 K/9 in VEWL and 7.3 K/9 in KBO last year. What could have happened since winter ball that has made him apparently a completely different guy at age 34? Would be an amazing story if he turns into something.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Weird. Only 5.6 K/9 in VEWL and 7.3 K/9 in KBO last year. What could have happened since winter ball that has made him apparently a completely different guy at age 34? Would be an amazing story if he turns into something.

PED’s

• Haha 1