Established arms vs non established arms

Sports Guy

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Technically, Cease has pitched in more playoff games (2) than any of our three, and has pitched more innings (2.2) than either Rodriguez or Kremer (1.2 each).  But he’s not exactly your grizzled playoff veteran.  

You are correct. I meant to say "starting experience" but missed the one bad start that he had. Either way, we agree, his 2.2 IP and his 10.13 ERA, including his Grayson Rodriguez-esque 1.2 IP start in the ALDS does not scream grizzled vet. 

On 1/5/2024 at 11:14 AM, Tony-OH said:

Another thing to remember is that Bradish, Rodriguez and Kremer all have more playoff experience than Cease, and Luzardo has never made it out of the 5th inning in his two post season starts. 

That's not to say that neither wouldn't be upgrades in the rotation this year, just that it doesn't necessarily mean the Orioles have acquired proven veteran starters with winning playoff experience. 

The Orioles should always be trying to improve their pitching depth so if they can get a young upside starter, for depth prospects than they absolutely should do it, but the big three can't be in any discussion and Kjerstad and Cowser only go in the right deal.

Could you give me a Quick perspective Of Max Meyer of the Marlins TJ surgery notwithstanding Would cost less than Cease or Luzardo but has 5 years of team control, how would he project out of the BP. Not saying hes a BP piece, just trying to establish a Floor

16 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Could you give me a Quick perspective Of Max Meyer of the Marlins TJ surgery notwithstanding Would cost less than Cease or Luzardo but has 5 years of team control, how would he project out of the BP. Not saying hes a BP piece, just trying to establish a Floor

IIRC he was ranked in the top 10-20 range a few years ago.  1.3 draft by a team that knows pitching talent.  Quick riser in the minors and debuted before his TJ.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/max-meyer/27474/stats?position=P

https://www.milb.com/news/scouting-report-miami-marlins-max-meyer

1 hour ago, Safelykept said:

I'll be honest, I don't know much about him besides what you can pull off the internet for him. I've never seen him pitch. All I know is he was a highly thought of left-handed starter for the Marlins when he went down to TJ surgery. 

Here's his profile: Marlins Top Prospects | MLB.com

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I'll be honest, I don't know much about him besides what you can pull off the internet for him. I've never seen him pitch. All I know is he was a highly thought of left-handed starter for the Marlins when he went down to TJ surgery. 

Here's his profile: Marlins Top Prospects | MLB.com

I believe he’s a righty.

The issue with Max Meyer was always his size and perceived injury risk. He was a very good collegiate at Minnesota and Team USA where he was initially the closer. His junior year was cut short by COVID but he was very effective as a starter before the season was shut down. The Marlins took a flyer on him, IMHO, as he has great stuff (can touch 100 mph in short stints with a wipeout SL) but never showed he could be durable as a starter, though in reality he never got the chance. He's listed at a generous 6'0" and 195. 

He did very well, however, in MiLB. He started at AA Pensacola and was in AAA by the end of his first year. He was promoted to Miami in July 2022 but by his second MLB game he was having arm trouble. He has TJS in August 2022. His ceiling looks like a high leverage, late innings reliever to me.