Koby Perez has been absolutely huge for the organization rebuild

Tony-OH

Thanks for the summary Tony. I've heard Koby Perez's name but this post made me realize I had never seen an interview with him.

I looked him up and found this interview from the winter meetings. Perhaps this was already posted elsewhere on the board-- mostly boilerplate answers, but helpful to put a face/voice to the name.

46 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Roch had a nice piece today on the Orioles new Dominican Academy that also discussed the importance of Koby Perez for the Orioles.

For me, I believe he's one the Elias' best hires when he was able to get him away from Cleveland. 

Just looking at our Top 75 prospect list you can find 23 players he has signed (if my count is right) and several more than were acquired in trade that were partially due to his recommendations. 

When you consider the system in which he has to operate in, meaning he, like every other team, has to make "agreements" with 14 and 15-year olds, that's not a bad hit rate at all.

His experience in understanding the "game" down there when it comes to signing high value players has been extraordinary in getting the Orioles to become a major player for talent. The new Academy opening up tomorrow will only make that that much easier.

One of his best gets so far was when he was able to get Orioles #2 prospect Samuel Basallo away from a reported Yankees "agreement." All Basallo has done is become one of the top prospects in all of baseball and if he repeats the type of numbers he put up last year in AA and potentially AAA at some point, he should be in the top ten at the very least.

It's not all about the million bonus babies either. He's found some real upside players like Joshua Liranzo (500K) and Tomas Sosa (400K), as well as left-hander Luis Deleon who was a late bloomer who signed for very little bonus and is now the best International pitching prospect in the system.

There are always going to be misses, even on the high money guys like with Maikol Hernández, but overall, Koby's been shining.

His successes have not affected the major league team yet, but with Basallo in AA, that could change in the next two years as well.

And just think JA was able to get this done on for scraps on the package, Got to love how he keeps saving that money.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Roch had a nice piece today on the Orioles new Dominican Academy that also discussed the importance of Koby Perez for the Orioles.

For me, I believe he's one the Elias' best hires when he was able to get him away from Cleveland. 

Just looking at our Top 75 prospect list you can find 23 players he has signed (if my count is right) and several more than were acquired in trade that were partially due to his recommendations. 

When you consider the system in which he has to operate in, meaning he, like every other team, has to make "agreements" with 14 and 15-year olds, that's not a bad hit rate at all.

His experience in understanding the "game" down there when it comes to signing high value players has been extraordinary in getting the Orioles to become a major player for talent. The new Academy opening up tomorrow will only make that that much easier.

One of his best gets so far was when he was able to get Orioles #2 prospect Samuel Basallo away from a reported Yankees "agreement." All Basallo has done is become one of the top prospects in all of baseball and if he repeats the type of numbers he put up last year in AA and potentially AAA at some point, he should be in the top ten at the very least.

It's not all about the million bonus babies either. He's found some real upside players like Joshua Liranzo (500K) and Tomas Sosa (400K), as well as left-hander Luis Deleon who was a late bloomer who signed for very little bonus and is now the best International pitching prospect in the system.

There are always going to be misses, even on the high money guys like with Maikol Hernández, but overall, Koby's been shining.

His successes have not affected the major league team yet, but with Basallo in AA, that could change in the next two years as well.

@Tony-OH thanks for this.

If I might ask a question, why is Koby Perez singled out as the guy who made it all happen? Is he really that special or is this more of an entire organizational shift toward finding talent in all venues? Honest question, I don't know much about the Orioles DR operation. My sense is the shift is much bigger than one guy but I'm interested in your insight here.

I think Elias has a ridiculous amount of worth to this org.  This post is yet another example of high quality decision making by Elias impacting the entire org.  

I think Elias could make an argument that he is worth significantly more than your average GM.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Excellent!!  Could not agree more!! I was a huge fan of Perez signing on and just another example of Elias method and process!!

40 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Awww, don't pile on the poor Yankee fans.   It's been a rough week for them.   Nick Saban retired, and the Cowboys got eliminated from the playoffs.

To be fair most of the Alabama fans I know were Red Sox fans until the Braves got good again. 

DR becoming the biggest tourist destination in the Caribbean.  New high speed train supposed to be done this year that goes from Santo Domingo (Guerra is a suburb/neighborhood) to Punta Cana cutting down a 4hr trip to under 60 min.  Will be interesting to see how things grow down there over the next decade. 

• Upvote 1