UMD-UNC Thread...

Lucky Jim

This happens all the freaking time on this board. The Gary haters get called out whenever the team plays a good/great game.

Not only is it stupid to rake a guy across the coals after a good game but for every UNC win, there are two Morgan State/American U losses.

That is simply not true. Gary's upsets over top teams far outweigh his bad, bad losses.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is simply not true. Gary's upsets over top teams far outweigh his bad, bad losses.

If he beats the teams he's supposed to beat, he probably makes the tournaments a few more times in the past 5 years. Beating the UNCs of the world is certainly sexier, but if you win the games you're supposed to win...you have a more successful season IMO. It's pretty easy to get teams motivated to play a top team, in a packed house, in front of crazy fans...getting a team up for the middle tier ACC team on the road takes some more work.

If he beats the teams he's supposed to beat, he probably makes the tournaments a few more times in the past 5 years. Beating the UNCs of the world is certainly sexier, but if you win the games you're supposed to win...you have a more successful season IMO. It's pretty easy to get teams motivated to play a top team, in a packed house, in front of crazy fans...getting a team up for the middle tier ACC team on the road takes some more work.

Of course this is all true, but the American and Morgan St. losses, the absolutely disgusting losses have been few and far between in Gary's tenure. He has feasted on top ranked teams during his tenure. He points out a loss from last year, but doesn't point out upsetting top-ranked teams last year (Duke if I remember correctly).

In the last two years they lost to American and Morgan St. Those are terrible losses.

They also have wins over #1 UNC, #6 Michigan St., #3 UNC.

They have had terrible losses and terrific upsets.

If you honestly believe that this team, over the past four or so years, has had more good wins than bad losses then you're absolutely delusional.

They've made the tournament once in four seasons.

If you honestly believe that this team, over the past four or so years, has had more good wins than bad losses then you're absolutely delusional.

They've made the tournament once in four seasons.

I don't think they have lived up to expectations. But your original point compared the great win vs. UNC versus the terrible losses vs. Morgan/American. You were wrong to compare that one great win vs. the two terrible losses because in reality they have had 3 great wins vs. top ranked teams in the last two years. The real problem for this team isn't the two terrible losses, it is continually losing to mediocre ACC teams like Virginia (last year), BC, Miami, and Florida St.

I am not delusional, I just didn't care for your comparison.

This happens all the freaking time on this board. The Gary haters get called out whenever the team plays a good/great game.

Not only is it stupid to rake a guy across the coals after a good game but for every UNC win, there are two Morgan State/American U losses.

But thanks for changing the tenor of an otherwise great thread, DanielOs and BTerp!

Says the guy who hasn't commented ON THE GAME yet. This tells me that you wouldn't have posted at all unless you were called out.

Did you not see the game? If so I'll understand, but if you did and your response is "Yeah? Well whoop-dee-do :rolleyes:" then you really should rethink how much you care about this team.

You can be critical without wanting to see them fail, and you can celebrate a great victory without it invalidating your overall opinion on the state of the program.

It's equally amazing how all the Gary lovers come out after a win. One good win shouldn't hide 5 years of inept recruiting, should it?

The Terps got a lot of calls their way. UNC went through one of their funks where they can't score at all (like they did against KU and Gtown in tourney games). Tucker was absolutely on fire in the second half. GV had the game of his life. It was sort of like the perfect storm for the Terps.

Don't get me wrong, it was a good win...and they made big plays down the stretch when they needed to. But I don't think this win should erase the problems with the state of this program. If the Wizards beat the Spurs last night, would we be declaring them a reborn team who is suddenly headed in the right direction?

Now the Gary lovers can all bash me. :D

I hope you know the difference between the Wizards and the Terrapins, so we shouldn't have to explain everything wrong in that statement.

Of course it doesn't erase the problems with the program. It shouldn't, and I haven't seen a single person suggest anything close. However, that doesn't mean you can't talk about how well the team played, and how this win really lets them control their destiny when it comes to the postseason.

Besides, Daniel has a point: people do tend to disappear when the Terps win.

Says the guy who hasn't commented ON THE GAME yet. This tells me that you wouldn't have posted at all unless you were called out.

Did you not see the game? If so I'll understand, but if you did and your response is "Yeah? Well whoop-dee-do :rolleyes:" then you really should rethink how much you care about this team.

You can be critical without wanting to see them fail, and you can celebrate a great victory without it invalidating your overall opinion on the state of the program.

Meh. Shut up.

I got called out by your and/or a lackey who loves Gary. Had to say something.

I watched the game. I still am bitter about the state of this program and one win over a top 5 team won't change that. I'll be sure to jump down your throat though the next time they lose to Morgan State at home or by 40 to Duke.

Meh. Shut up.

I got called out by your and/or a lackey who loves Gary. Had to say something.

I watched the game. I still am bitter about the state of this program and one win over a top 5 team won't change that. I'll be sure to jump down your throat though the next time they lose to Morgan State at home or by 40 to Duke.

You go ahead and do that.

FruitLoopKid and I have found some middle-ground, but he also responded in a much more mature fashion.

And again, if you have a problem, start talking about the game. You STILL haven't done that yet.

Archived