Trade Package Anxiety

RZNJ

Cowser replaces Hays

Ortiz replaces Urias

Norby is a RH COF/IF to be a platoon option with our LH prospects.  Dare I say a RH Ben Zobrist?  (Edited to say that  🤦‍♂️)

Povich still has a chance to start. Relief is always welcome there.

DeLeon is in full season ball, has the wizard to work with, and would be the same age as a recently drafted HS LH SP. 

These guys have value. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

If I have any anxiety at all along these lines it is more that Elias will just do nothing between now and Opening Day.

I understand the counter argument will be "well there has to be a reasonable trading partner out there."

Well, there are 29 other teams.  I'd like to think if he (Elias) has talent at this sort of thing he should be able to find one trading partner.   But idk.  It's still January.

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Cowser replaces Hays

Ortiz replaces Urias

Norby is a RH COF/IF to be a platoon option with our LH prospects.  Dare I say a RH Ben Zobrist?  (Edited to say that  🤦‍♂️)

Povich still has a chance to start. Relief is always welcome there.

DeLeon is in full season ball, has the wizard to work with, and would be the same age as a recently drafted HS LH SP. 

These guys have value. 

Of course they have value.  I’m not sure what your point is in relation to the thread.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

1. The best prospects Elias has traded are Darell Hernaiz, Cesar Prieto, Zack Showalter, and Drew Rom. The result of all of that is still just Cole Irvin, basically. 

2. Elias has so far had much more success trading our boy Cash Considerations for guys like Coulombe and O'Hearn. 

Doesn't mean this can't all change at any moment, but so far the track record indicates Elias is only willing to trade from the very bottom of the depth pile for middling return. 

I wonder how prime '90s Pat Gillick would have done trade-wise with this team. He seemed to able to pull deals out of thin air that in hindsight were damn near perfect fits for acquiring the kind of talent we lacked by swapping guys where we had a surplus. Getting David Wells for Curtis Goodwin is a good example. We need exactly that kind of trade right now. 

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

If I have any anxiety at all along these lines it is more that Elias will just do nothing between now and Opening Day.

I understand the counter argument will be "well there has to be a reasonable trading partner out there."

Well, there are 29 other teams.  I'd like to think if he (Elias) has talent at this sort of thing he should be able to find one trading partner.   But idk.  It's still January.

There’s 29 teams and maybe 2 willing to trade the type of pitcher we need.

49 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Of course they have value.  I’m not sure what your point is in relation to the thread.

Is just because they seem like spare pieces or have limitation for 2024, that in 2025+ they will not be spare parts. We have a lot of FA post this season. We just don’t run out and sign FA. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Is just because they seem like spare pieces or have limitation for 2024, that in 2025+ they will not be spare parts. We have a lot of FA post this season. We just don’t run out and sign FA. 

The thread is about players you hope aren’t included in any trades this off-season.  Do you feel that way about any individual players or is it every player?

Tomorrow is the first anniversary of the Cole Irvin and Kyle Virbitsky for Darell Hernaiz trade.  No one saw it coming.

Elias has Conner Norby and  Kyle Stowers  that have no place on the 2024 Orioles but it's time to move them.  I also think Urias is available.  Maybe for another #5 starter that we are not even talking about.

I have been saying all off season that it will be hard to find a better 5th starter than Tyler Wells for the 1st half.  And with some rest in the 2nd half he may even be  the best 4th starter in the playoffs.  

What the O's need is major league starting depth that can join Irvin and McDermott to start in the 2nd half.  

I don't expect something big.   Just something that is effective sometime before opening day.

Edited by wildcard

53 minutes ago, SoxFan3344 said:

And those “2” are in no rush to trade their pitchers 

Incredible.  61-101 and the fans are OK with no sense of urgency.  All teams should always be looking to improve, IMO, but the idea that the team with 101 wins and many highly rated prospects knocking on the door should be more desperate than a 101-loss team with not a lot to hang their hat on just seems bizarre to me.  To each his own, I guess.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Maybe no rush but I think Getz hoped to trade Cease before spring training.

I’m sure he had hopes, I’m sure Mike Elias had hopes he could fleece a first time GM into backing down too. Fact is Cease is with the Sox for two more years, regardless of your thoughts on whether we think they should trade him or not for this or that package. Getz has a price that has yet to be met. 

14 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Incredible.  61-101 and the fans are OK with no sense of urgency.  All teams should always be looking to improve, IMO, but the idea that the team with 101 wins and many highly rated prospects knocking on the door should be more desperate than a 101-loss team with not a lot to hang their hat on just seems bizarre to me.  To each his own, I guess.

Not true, but I’m not gonna sit here and act like I have any control over what the Sox are gonna or not gonna do. If they keep him so be it, if they trade him so be it, so I’m not gonna be up in arms. But I do agree that if Getz has a price for a controllable starting pitcher with a high ceiling, that has yet to be met then there is no reason to trade him 

3 minutes ago, SoxFan3344 said:

I’m sure he had hopes, I’m sure Mike Elias had hopes he could fleece a first time GM into backing down too. Fact is Cease is with the Sox for two more years, regardless of your thoughts on whether we think they should trade him or not for this or that package. Getz has a price that has yet to be met. 

Who says Elias is trying to fleece him?  That’s purely subjective guesswork from you.   You are entitled to keep him.   When not ONE team is willing to meet your price it’s time to look in the mirror and not in Mike Elias’ direction.   Why doesn’t any other team pay the price for such a valuable commodity?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SoxFan3344 said:

Not true, but I’m not gonna sit here and act like I have any control over what the Sox are gonna or not gonna do. If they keep him so be it, if they trade him so be it, so I’m not gonna be up in arms. But I do agree that if Getz has a price for a controllable starting pitcher with a high ceiling, that has yet to be met then there is no reason to trade him 

Hey, like I said, to each his own.  If you're happy, I'm happy.  Just so you know, I'm less anxious for us to trade for Cease than most.  I'd probably be more nervous if we made a deal for him than if we didn't.  I'll root for anyone wearing the laundry, don't get me wrong, but the prospect packages I've seen discussed for this particular pitcher just don't make a lot of sense to me, hence my pessimism.