Trade Package Anxiety

RZNJ

2 hours ago, interloper said:

I guess I'm a little surprised Westburg is this highly regarded by Elias and most fans. I think he's going to be a solid player, and I think everyone is convincing me he's going to be better than maybe I thought. I just kind of see him as a steady .750ish regular rather than a major impact bat. 

I think that’s a very reasonable take.  But that’s also a very good player.  Schoop had a .748 OPS and was worth 19.9 rWAR until he fell off a cliff two years ago.  I think Westburg has the potential to be that good and maybe a little better.  But I don’t regard him as untouchable, at all.  

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I have no anxiety.  

“Ain't no sense worryin' about the things you got control over, 'cause if you got control over 'em, ain't no sense worryin'. And ain't no sense worryin' about the things you don't got control over, 'cause if you don't got control over 'em, ain't no sense worryin'.”

6 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

“Ain't no sense worryin' about the things you got control over, 'cause if you got control over 'em, ain't no sense worryin'. And ain't no sense worryin' about the things you don't got control over, 'cause if you don't got control over 'em, ain't no sense worryin'.”

That's right, Mickey Rivers.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Tomorrow is the first anniversary of the Cole Irvin and Kyle Virbitsky for Darell Hernaiz trade.  No one saw it coming.

Elias has Conner Norby and  Kyle Stowers  that have no place on the 2024 Orioles but it's time to move them.  I also think Urias is available.  Maybe for another #5 starter that we are not even talking about.

I have been saying all off season that it will be hard to find a better 5th starter than Tyler Wells for the 1st half.  And with some rest in the 2nd half he may even be  the best 4th starter in the playoffs.  

What the O's need is major league starting depth that can join Irvin and McDermott to start in the 2nd half.  

I don't expect something big.   Just something that is effective sometime before opening day.

If Wells is in the rotation they might want to target a high leverage bullpen arm. Kimbrel doesn't replace Bautista on his own.

14 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

image.png.fc16de0d1d3e087d62cbc87676867ea3.png

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

If Wells is in the rotation they might want to target a high leverage bullpen arm. Kimbrel doesn't replace Bautista on his own.

Hall? Tate?

Edited by wildcard

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hall? Tate?

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

Cano?

We had Cano last year. If we are looking to at least tread water, Cano doesn't help to replace Bautista. 

Anything we get from Tate would be a nice bonus. 

Hall plus Kimbrel might be enough if everything goes their way. I'd feel a lot better with another arm, personally. Hall could also be called upon to replace a tired Wells or if any of Kremer/Means/Irvin struggle.

49 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't know even if he was healthy this year, that Bautista replaces Bautista. He had an incredible year, it would have been a hard act to follow and he did blow 8 saves.

Edited by Malike

21 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

We had Cano last year. If we are looking to at least tread water, Cano doesn't help to replace Bautista. 

Anything we get from Tate would be a nice bonus. 

Hall plus Kimbrel might be enough if everything goes their way. I'd feel a lot better with another arm, personally. Hall could also be called upon to replace a tired Wells or if any of Kremer/Means/Irvin struggle.

If the team really had interest in fully replacing Bautista, they would have signed Hader. We're not replacing Bautista. We're going to hope for improvement in the SP and the offense. And we'll have a good bullpen that is likely to be slightly worse than last year's.

That said - there's some room for possible improvement from someone like Perez. You add Tate, who you hope is solid. You have Hall for more of the year who you hope is back to his full velocity now. I get that none of that is a sure thing, but, that's what we're rolling with. I don't see any other high leverage arms being added before the season. Deadline maybe. 

Edited by interloper

To the Sox fans here, I do think it's funny that they think Mayo isn't even enough. They clearly have no idea about our prospects. Not that I think Elias would ever entertain Mayo for Cease, rightfully so. They just think our prospects are bad, lol. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

If the team really had interest in fully replacing Bautista, they would have signed Hader. We're not replacing Bautista. We're going to hope for improvement in the SP and the offense. And we'll have a good bullpen that is likely to be slightly worse than last year's.

That said - there's some room for possible improvement from someone like Perez. You add Tate, who you hope is solid. You have Hall for more of the year who you hope is back to his full velocity now. I get that none of that is a sure thing, but, that's what we're rolling with. I don't see any other high leverage arms being added before the season. Deadline maybe. 

We can't even act like Bautista was a sure thing to replicate 2023.