If no Green or Ackley then what?

I'd be disappointed if we took Ackley at 5, I don't think he's the talent we need there, and if he can't handle CF in college, he's not gonna be able to handle it in the pros. Plus, we've already got a decent CF.

I want one of Strasburg, Green, White, Crow, or Matzek. Ideally Green falls to us, but if he doesn't, we should take one of the pitchers.

Of course, a hitter could have a big year and come out of no where between now and the draft so we'll have to see. But right now, unless Green falls, I'm leaning towards pitching again.

I'd be disappointed if we took Ackley at 5, I don't think he's the talent we need there, and if he can't handle CF in college, he's not gonna be able to handle it in the pros. Plus, we've already got a decent CF.

I want one of Strasburg, Green, White, Crow, or Matzek. Ideally Green falls to us, but if he doesn't, we should take one of the pitchers.

Of course, a hitter could have a big year and come out of no where between now and the draft so we'll have to see. But right now, unless Green falls, I'm leaning towards pitching again.

It's not that he can't handle it, he's coming off a nasty shoulder injury, and can more than handle CF, he just can't throw the ball into the INF after he catches it. I completely agree, Ackley is about 10th on my personal list based on his playing 1B, but if he were in CF, LF or 2B, he jumps to 3rd for me. Then again, I'm sure this will all change between now and June.

See this is what I disagree with as we found Jake Arrieta in the 5th round, ditto for Bobby Bundy. There are always good pitchers that fall, but almost all of your elite offensive talent is found in the first round...

This is just not true. There are Lars Anderson type hitters available even after the 15th round.

It's not that he can't handle it, he's coming off a nasty shoulder injury, and can more than handle CF, he just can't throw the ball into the INF after he catches it. I completely agree, Ackley is about 10th on my personal list based on his playing 1B, but if he were in CF, LF or 2B, he jumps to 3rd for me. Then again, I'm sure this will all change between now and June.

The only place that I've heard about any shoulder injury for Ackley is from Stotle, who says its in his player notes, but was uncharacteristically sloppy and didn't write what the source was. As far as most media outlets are concerned the only injury Ackley is coming back from is TJ surgery. He isn't a full year removed from surgery (had it after last season) and that's the biggest reason why he is still playing 1B this spring. I have to think that UNC may be hesitant to move everyone around, too, with the pressure to win this year as they're poised to take a very deep run on the Road to Omaha.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about his ability to shift back into the outfield. He has the athleticism and baseball acumen that make me think it would be an easy transition for him. And his bat is the best in the draft. I'd love to get him at #5, and I think similarly as you (Allstar) in placing him #3 on my list - I just don't add the qualifier of "if he were at LF/CF/2B".

The only place that I've heard about any shoulder injury for Ackley is from Stotle, who says its in his player notes, but was uncharacteristically sloppy and didn't write what the source was. As far as most media outlets are concerned the only injury Ackley is coming back from is TJ surgery. He isn't a full year removed from surgery (had it after last season) and that's the biggest reason why he is still playing 1B this spring. I have to think that UNC may be hesitant to move everyone around, too, with the pressure to win this year as they're poised to take a very deep run on the Road to Omaha.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about his ability to shift back into the outfield. He has the athleticism and baseball acumen that make me think it would be an easy transition for him. And his bat is the best in the draft. I'd love to get him at #5, and I think similarly as you (Allstar) in placing him #3 on my list - I just don't add the qualifier of "if he were at LF/CF/2B".

Yeah, I cut the shoulder comments from my database as a fair amount of research didn't turn up anything of substance. My best guess is it was a quote from a mistaken announcer during the ACC tournament.

Yeah, you are right, Stotle and I talked about this before, I thought I had heard shoulder somewhere too, but it might have just been heresay. This article mentions that now that he is healthy he is headed back to CF, but I've only seen him play a couple innings there so far, which tells me they are holding him out of there for a specific reason, and easing him back. I'll know more, I'm headed to scout him and White soon-ish, we'll see from there.

He has a great bat, but there are few positions where you can stick un-athletic kids who can rake, and if you waste the best spot for that with a kid like this, you are handcuffing yourself. Would you rather have a .300 20HR 40 doubles guy with a .275 20 HR 30 doubles guy or with a .300 40HR 40 doubles guy? The latter is the kind of big bopper 1B you look for, while the prior is a guy like AJones or Pie if they fill out potential that you would play in the OF if you play Ackley at 1B.

I'm not down on him, there is really only one negative I can say about the kid, he is a waste of talent to stick at 1B. This just reminds me of the debate about Posey last year, where he has much more value with his bat at C, than if he moved to 1B. Although it could play at 1B, he just isn't AS valuable there.

Archived