Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

6 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Sure.  But hes drastically underpaid.  Had they gamed his service time a little and he played out his 6 years, he’d be a FA after this year, would have made the same amount (or more) money to date and be in line for a 300+MM contract next year.  

I get that. But, IIRC, he’s said he’s aware of that and he’s happy with what he’s got. 

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Again, Holliday in my opinion is in a class all by himself. He should not be lumped in with how the org handled Gunnar or what will/should be done with the handling of Mayo. Don’t get me wrong, I really like Mayo as a prospect but he is not in the same class as Holliday. As a matter of fact, if Kjerstad is on the team, I really don’t see a place for him to get regular ABs on this year’s team. IMO it makes much more sense to keep Mayo at AAA for a duration of this season. But Holliday? - Unless you are trying to game the service time clock, which doesn’t make much sense given that you can get the extra pick back if he finishes top in ROY. He rose 4 levels in one year, it would be absurd to leave him at one level for most of the season. That would probably be alienating to him and not good for the relationship with the organization. There is no need to play those kind of games, when a legit World Series appearance after more than 40 years is on the line.

The only real disagreement I have with you is that potential ROY draft pick pales in comparison to an extra year of service time for Holliday.   I also think they’ll figure a way to get Mayo and Kjerstad up by mid year if not sooner.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

What safety?

I've lived in Norfolk it's not safer than Baltimore.

You don't need to be in the minors to work on defense.

LOL You're a funny man. I'm assuming you mean this as humor, because I only used an expression of speech.

Do you honestly think that Jackson Holliday is going to get rattled if he struggles a bit?  Is that an actual concern for you?

How is that for sure not going to happen if he spends time in AAA and then struggles?

I think Jackson, with having so much experience with his father and growing up around the spot light, might be able to handle things a little better than most players. But with that said, he's only human. And when you face lesser competition, it allows you to perfect your craft and gain a little swagger. Knowing he's better than the pitching he's facing. If he's got a large sample size that shows he's too good for the AAA competition, he should hit the ground running in MLB. (Kind of like Westburg did). The opposite of that would be a huge set back. But for a player of Holliday's caliber, I don't think there's much to worry about in the way of him not being able to figure out how to dominate at AAA once he's used to LHP and playing the positions they want.

Just now, RZNJ said:

The only real disagreement I have with you is that potential ROY draft pick pales in comparison to an extra year of service time for Holliday.   I also think they’ll figure a way to get Mayo and Kjerstad up by mid year if not sooner.

You could get super lucky and get a Gunnar Henderson with that pick.

This is funny. For as long as I can remember, baseball fans have been like “Blaaaaaaarghhhhh these guys are overPAID! I’d play for free!”

And now we’ve got posters here saying “these guys screwed themselves! Nevermind that they’re happy with their measly deal! Just think of the riches they’ve passed up on by taking pre-arb extensions! They should be ashamed of themselves!”

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I get that. But, IIRC, he’s said he’s aware of that and he’s happy with what he’s got. 

I get that and not saying he’s upset about it at all.  I was just trying to make a point that “gaming” service time isn’t as evil as some make it out to be.  And that the pre-arb extensions are almost always even less player friendly than gaming their service time.  The only time it’s good for the player is when they suck and fall on their face, and make more than they would have going through their 6 years.  

Just now, emmett16 said:

I get that and not saying he’s upset about it at all.  I was just trying to make a point that “gaming” service time isn’t as evil as some make it out to be.  And that the pre-arb extensions are almost always even less player friendly than gaming their service time.  The only time it’s good for the player is when they suck and fall on their face, and make more than they would have going through their 6 years.  

I don't think it's evil.

I think it's unethical.

The difference is the player has the choice.  If you choose to sign a below market deal that's on you.

Ohtani left a ton of money on the table when he went to Angels when he did.

Edited by Can_of_corn

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hold up!

Longoria signed Longoria in 2008

You said he was kicking himself 5-6 years later.

Guess what?  He signed an extension with the Rays in 2012.

Now I don't know for sure, but I think if a guy is really upset that he didn't get a good deal that guy is probably not going to sign another deal.

Amazing that you have the energy to do the research.   LOL

Maybe he wasn’t unhappy.   Some players would be.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Some days I'm lazier than others.

That one didn't take very long.

It’s all about the proper motivation.  When you think you’re right you do the research.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Some days I'm lazier than others.

That one didn't take very long.

You can be unhappy you signed an extension without being unhappy with the team, or your situation.  I think that was probably true for Longoria.  It’s not like the Rays tricked him into signing the first deal.  It just worked out badly for him. It worked out great for Rocco Baldelli, who was probably thrilled he’d signed a long term deal when he started going down with injuries every single year.  

• Upvote 2