Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

7 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I also respect his honesty in being up front about his likely desire to test free agency. At least you know where the man stands.

Yeah it seems like a healthy sense of self-assuredness. He's earned it, he'll be respectful and considerate if he receives a good offer, but he won't mislead any team or fan base for some disingenuously temporary good will.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Yeah it seems like a healthy sense of self-assuredness. He's earned it, he'll be respectful and considerate if he receives a good offer, but he won't mislead any team or fan base for some disingenuously temporary good will.

This guy is a great interview.   He comes off as a very confident, but not cocky, guy.  Love the way he talked about the relationship with the catchers.   

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

I dig how he admitted he wasn't himself to start the season last year and has been working hard this offseason to get in tip-top shape. Walkyears tend to do that to people.

Here's hoping he has the best year of his career!  :)

On 2/1/2024 at 9:14 PM, Malike said:

I hope you don't mean Bleier lol.

Ok, so this JUST HIT ME that i never responded to this.   My bad....Talk about a mental lapse. . . Good Lord.    I meant Tanner Scott., but i absolutely was thinking of Bleier when i said Boston.    Sorry about that. 

• Upvote 1

Reading through the BP Annual comment history as he progressed from small college guy to boss, it was notable the 2021 book comment that during 2020 he pivoted away from 4-seam towards sinker/cutter.     That after the 2019 season during which like 1st Half Grayson he gave up all the home runs in the world.

BP ANNUAL COMMENTS

Year Book Comments Buy now
https://www.baseballprospectus.com/static/images/annual-covers/2023.jpg

Burnes’ award-winning 2021 season was so dominant—he put up the second-lowest FIP of any qualified starter since MLB’s integration—that its sequel was bound to feel underwhelming. Fortunately for Burnes, “underwhelming” by his standards includes an ERA that’s a hair above three and a league-leading number of swinging strikes. If there’s a real nit to pick here, it’s that Burnes became more vulnerable to the long ball in his most recent campaign. Maybe that’s because hitters have grown accustomed to a cutter-centric repertoire. Or maybe it’s because home run rates for pitchers are like trips to the vet as experienced by cats; unpleasant, unpredictable and at times incomprehensible. It was never fair to ask Burnes to suppress hard contact to historically elite levels for a second season in a row. What matters most is that the Brewers ace hasn’t seen his stuff deteriorate, remains in control of several pitches and is pitching deeper into games. He's not the baseball community’s shiny new toy anymore, but that’s only because he’s firmly established himself as one of the five-or-so best starting pitchers in the game—and for what it’s worth, WARP says he was the very best in 2022.

Buy it now
https://www.baseballprospectus.com/static/images/annual-covers/2022.jpg

What does a 99th percentile outcome look like?

One of the best parts of the release of PECOTA every year is looking at a player’s projections based on different percentiles—particularly the 99th percentile projection. There’s a slim chance any player is going to reach that number. It’s rare. A 99th percentile projection is basically everything going right; that player living up to the lofty potential numerous coaches and observers saw in them for so many years, and in many cases surpassing even the biggest optimist’s wildest expectations. 

Burnes’ 99th percentile projection for 2020 included a 3.38 DRA and saw him being worth 3.7 WARP. He soared past both. He went from a really cool arm with a lot of potential to an earth-scorching behemoth. We saw shades of it in the shortened season, but Burnes ditched his four-seamer and sinker almost entirely in favor of a cutter/curveball combination that comprised 70% of his offerings and against which hitters whiffed 38% of the time. He became the ace of an already powerful Brewers’ rotation, and cemented his place as one of the most dominant and feared pitchers in baseball.

So what does a 99th percentile outcome look like? Burnes can't actually answer that question; he was better.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/static/images/annual-covers/2021.jpg

Home-run rates tend to even out from one season to the next, but if you even begin to read Burnes' breakout campaign as merely the good kind of regression, you'll miss out on a much richer, better and truer story. Blessed with a live arm that allows him to generate both velocity and spin, Burnes saw too many of his pitches flatten out and fly straight down the middle in 2019. He and the Brewers went to work before the season even ended, with bullpen coach Steve Karsay encouraging him as he took his first steps toward fixing his issues. Together, Burnes and the organization got him back to throwing a sinker, rather than a four-seamer, and he developed a truly filthy cutter. His 2020 was even more truncated than most, but he's found a pair of pitches with which he can miss bats, manage contact and throw enough strikes to keep hitters hacking.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/static/images/annual-covers/2020.jpg
Disaster. Calamity. Catastrophe. Debacle. Cataclysm. Tragedy. Fiasco. We’re running out of synonyms here, but all of them perfectly describe Burnes’ 2019. After giving up just four homers in 38 frames in 2018, batters teed off for 17 blasts in 48 innings in 2019—that’s a ridiculous 3.1 per nine, for those without a calculator handy. His slider was still nasty, as it finished off a majority of his strikeouts, but he just couldn’t get the fastball by hitters. That’s a notable change from the previous season, when he held opponents to a .176 average and .250 slugging (those marks were up to .420 and .790 last season). The Brewers have to hope some time to reflect can help Burnes get back on track as a mid-rotation starter.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/static/images/annual-covers/2019.jpg
Judging Burnes strictly by age, height and weight for his rookie season, one of the comps is Michael Fulmer. Burnes spent most of 2017 ramping up his stuff at a rate that seemed nearly impossible for evaluators to catch up; at each different locale, he seemed to offer something different. Fulmer followed a similar path as a surefire mid-rotation pitcher turned quasi-ace, and Burnes flashed signs of that brilliant potential in a bullpen stint with Milwaukee. But the bullpen will likely not be home for Burnes, who can no longer keep his hard-driving 96 mph fastball and two breaking pitches a secret.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/static/images/annual-covers/2018.jpg
A three-year starter at St. Mary's (CA), Burnes improved his peripherals each year and showed better stuff as a junior. He dropped to the fourth round due to questions about his future role, his top-end velocity and his off-speed efficacy; however, after 181 1/3 professional innings, he's arguably a top-50 prospect. Burnes has worked with Brewers' pitching coaches to incorporate his lower half more into his delivery, and it appears to have paid dividends. His fastball now touches 97 mph, and his slider has become a legitimate swing-and-miss pitch. The right-hander also throws a solid changeup and a get-me-over curveball. What brings it all together, though, is his plus control and his no-shit approach on the mound. Burnes owns a career 1.74 ERA across four levels in his professional career and could see a big-league promotion in 2018 if his success continues.
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting article …. Sending a text, waiting 2-3 days for a response. Having a meeting about it waiting a few days to respond. Seems painful as opposed to a GM picking up a cell phone and working through a deal. I’m not surprised that we got leftovers at the deadline if this is the Orioles operating procedure. I’m sure this must drive GMs like Dipoto nuts.

Rosenbaum said during her radio interview that Mike Elias and the O’s front office staff had to show some real patience during this process. Continuing to work on the deal and to keep the discussions ongoing even when there were times when it looked like such a trade would not happen.

“For something like a trade, so often what happens is you talk to teams for months,” Rosenbaum said on WBAL. “You send them a message, they text you back. You get with your group, you huddle up and craft a response and send a text message back. They get back to you two days later and it goes on and on like this.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/o-s-front-office-needed-to-show-its-patience-in-the-ongoing-pursuit-of-corbin-burnes

Edited by Roll Tide

6 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Interesting article …. Sending a text, waiting 2-3 days for a response. Having a meeting about it waiting a few days to respond. Seems painful as opposed to a GM picking up a cell phone and working through a deal. I’m not surprised that we got leftovers at the deadline if this is the Orioles operating procedure. I’m sure this must drive GMs like Dipoto nuts.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/o-s-front-office-needed-to-show-its-patience-in-the-ongoing-pursuit-of-corbin-burnes

I'm pretty sure this is SOP for most teams. You make it sound like most deals are done with a phone call in a day. This isn't how it works. They have teams of people involved and get input from everyone, it's not a one man show for the O's and probably 99% of the other teams.

38 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'm pretty sure this is SOP for most teams. You make it sound like most deals are done with a phone call in a day. This isn't how it works. They have teams of people involved and get input from everyone, it's not a one man show for the O's and probably 99% of the other teams.

I read it as: texts and emails take way longer than a simple phone call to hash things out and have a meaningful discussion and progress and talk from there. 
example- we want Bob, what are you thinking it would take? 
We really like Bob and he is good. You know our needs and situation, what are you thinking. 
I was thinking X, W and V is a fair price. 
Yeah, it sounds respectable but we aren’t high on W. What about &?

That might be too much for us. 
Ok, how about ;?

I don’t know, what if we did ;, S and pickle juice instead?

Let me talk to my guys and do some more research and I can give you a call back Monday, does 2:30est work for you?

yes. 

Text doesn’t have feeling or great context. It makes reading a person and communicating much more difficult.