Emanuel Clase as a potential target

emmett16

Hendriks signing could make sense for some mid season help

would also have liked to sign Moore, but I’m sure the Angels will have him available at the deadline 

we could also go after Ryu/Lorenzen and start Kremer in the pen early on

9 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

You do? With Henderson, Holliday and Westburg plugged in at 3B, SS, and 2B for the foreseeable future how and where exactly do you see Jose Ramirez fitting in with this team position wise? He's also 31 and his numbers have been on a steady decline for the last two seasons. I also find it interesting that in a year where just about everyone saw a spike in their SBs  due to the new rule changes Ramirez did not. It makes me think that not only is his bat slowing down, but his legs as well. Dont get me wrong I love Ramirez's fire and passion, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around why this team would want to trade for an aging third baseman who's skills are obviously declining. 

I think, in this lineup, he'd be a DH and play 3B five or six times per month.    Like you stated, he's in a bit of a decline, but I just think he adds "that guy" to the team.   I think he'd put up very productive numbers in this lineup and that he'd be a good fit with all of the young guys on this team.

Now...all that being said...I don't think he's a guy we'd go after because he's owed a ton of money over the next 5 years.   I really don't want to pay for his age 34 and over seasons.   I would just want his bat in the middle of this lineup for the next 2  or 3 years.  

Clase would be extremely expensive given the cost control and years of control remaining. That said, in a fantasy world, it would be amazing. You'd have two closers in Kimbrel and Clase and 2025 would be absolutely ridiculous with Clase and Bautista. If it were to happen, I would be extremely pumped, but it won't. Elias won't give up the prospects to make it happen as that would really hurt our pipeline. 

The Burnes deal didn't cost too much in terms of altering our farm system situation. Ortiz was getting up there for a prospect and was behind Henderson, Holliday, and Westburg for playing time, making him a role player on our team at best. He had more value elsewhere. As for Hall, the team appears to have already decided he's a reliever. While the Brewers' are going to give him a chance to start so he, too, would appear to have more value elsewhere (even if we all agree that he's going to be a very good back-end reliever). And as for the pick, we're in line to get a comparable pick back next offseason. 

While Ortiz and Hall certainly have plenty of value, it didn't really impact the Orioles plan or direction at all. A Clase trade would. I can't imagine they could find a deal without including at least one of the top-5.