Kyle Bradish Has Sprained UCL, Will Start Season On IL (4/9 Update: Assigned rehab assignment w/Aberdeen)

DrinkinWithFermi

2 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Hard to not be encouraged by that stat line. Believe I heard he was sitting mid 90s. The big thing is again going to be, how does he feel today and tomorrow. 

Agree that his recovery will be important. 

Apparently he was not " sitting mid 90s," according to @Frobby. "He topped out there.  Average a little lower. "

Bradish was effective last year because he was able to locate his FB and use his breaking ball effectively. To me, FB velocity is important to his ability to get MLB hitter out and is an encouraging sign for his arm health, but likely tells only a part of the story of whether he will be as effective at the MLB level as he was last year. 

If someone saw the outing and can confirm that he was throwing all of his pitches effectively and that his pitch shapes were where he and Chris Holt want them to be then I would be very encouraged by that stat line. It's a rehab start at AAA. Fingers crossed. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Agree that his recovery will be important. 

Apparently he was not " sitting mid 90s," according to @Frobby. "He topped out there.  Average a little lower. "

32 four seamers averaged 92.5 (90.1 - 94.6).  14 two-seamers averaged 94.2 (93.0 - 95.2).   

I don't want to get overly excited, but I'll gladly admit I was wrong if he can get back to Baltimore. 

It looks like his average velo is down a couple of mph from last season. Hopefully that's just because he's essentially still in ST.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

32 four seamers averaged 92.5 (90.1 - 94.6).  14 two-seamers averaged 94.2 (93.0 - 95.2).   

Looks like his 2 seamer velo was only a tick down from where it sat last year at 95. I’d say that’s pretty encouraging if the weather was in fact colder and considering he’s still rehabbing/building up. 

His 4 seamer was down 2 MPH but considering the 2 seamer is his best fastball, I’ll take his 2 seamer being only 0.8 MPH down right now. 

Can you see what his slider and curve were at? Both those pitches were up almost 1.5 MPH last year from 2022 so curious to see if that held. 

Edited by LGOrioles

11 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Looks like his 2 seamer velo was only a tick down from where it sat last year at 95. I’d say that’s pretty encouraging if the weather was in fact colder and considering he’s still rehabbing/building up. 

His 4 seamer was down 2 MPH but considering the 2 seamer is his best fastball, I’ll take his 2 seamer being only 0.8 MPH down right now. 

Can you see what his slider and curve were at? Both those pitches were up almost 1.5 MPH last year from 2022 so curious to see if that held. 

15 sliders at 86.3 (84.5 - 88.0).

14 curves at 82.8 (81.1 - 84.8).

6 change ups at 91.5 (90.6 - 92.4)

Slider and curve down about 2 mph. 

The sinker was very effective, at 50% CSW%.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

15 sliders at 86.3 (84.5 - 88.0).

14 curves at 82.8 (81.1 - 84.8).

6 change ups at 91.5 (90.6 - 92.4)

Slider and curve down about 2 mph. 

The sinker was very effective, at 50% CSW%.   

I wonder if he feels max effort would put his arm in jeopardy and is dialing it back. If he can be effective, I don't care either way.

3 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

If someone saw the outing and can confirm that he was throwing all of his pitches effectively and that his pitch shapes were where he and Chris Holt want them to be then I would be very encouraged by that stat line. It's a rehab start at AAA. Fingers crossed. 

Who, in the world, would be qualified to do that?    

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Who, in the world, would be qualified to do that?    

You should have grabbed the old camcorder and headed down to Norfolk. We need someone to do the important work.

11 minutes ago, Malike said:

I wonder if he feels max effort would put his arm in jeopardy and is dialing it back. If he can be effective, I don't care either way.

Sounds more like a guy on his 2nd rehab start pitching in front of 6,270 people in a meaningless (to him) AAA game.

It's interesting (to me, anyway) that while we hear a lot -- especially around the Hollidays --  about the huge gap between the pitching faced in AAA and in the majors, necessitating for many guys who dominate AAA pitching a lengthy period of adjustment when they're promoted, much less is said about the difference in pitching to AAA hitters and big leaguers. (When it comes up it seems like it's often a matter of hitters' discipline: a pitcher who walks a lot of AAA batters may walk a lot more in the majors.) 

I get the impression that scouts and analysts believe they can, by studying film and by and measuring the speed of pitches, the amount of the break, pitch location (including throwing strikes and working the edge of the zone), spin rates, etc., together with seeing how successful a pitcher is against AAA hitters, can assess from a pitcher's AAA performance how he'll do against ML hitters. Is that true, and if so are they right?