Would You Trade Westburg for Luzardo or Cease?

sportsfan8703

Would You Trade Westburg for Luzardo or Cease?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Trade Westburg for Luzardo or Cease?

5 minutes ago, OrangeTurtle said:

Luzardo, Scott, Bell, Meyer

For

Westburg, Cowser, Mountcastle, Irvin

Who says no? Mountcastle is from FL and gives Marlins a long term piece at 1B. We take on whatever else they owe Bell for this final season before FA to lessen what we give up (as in, none of the big 3).

Irvin helps them replace innings this year.

Marlins laugh at that offer.

37 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Holliday and Mayo are basically ready. Where do you play them?  You don’t want Westburg in a reserve role. That’s a role that Urias and Mateo should fill.

Why wouldn't we want we want a better player in that role?

Just now, Sanfran327 said:

I'm not sure why we keep seeing people penciling Holliday into 2b when we know that 3b is Gunnar's better position and that SS is Holiday's better position. That puts Westburg at 2b, which I think is probably his best as well (or needs to become his best due to the previous statement) and Mayo becomes the 1b of the future. Like most others, I don't think we'll see Mayo in Baltimore all that soon, so both Mounty and O'Hearn have some time to sink or swim. Does make it a little curious that O'Hearn's deal has a 2nd year option though.

I like Mountcastle just fine and O'Hearn was a great story last year, but as the other thread from a while back suggests, this scenario eventually makes O'Hearn the odd man out since that probably means that Mountcastle and Kjerstad form a DH platoon unless (hopefully more like until) HK proves he's a good enough hitter to bust through any splits. 

For this season, I don’t think it’s a huge issue to see guys rotating around.  Long term though, I think we see less and less of that…at least in terms of the core, everyday guys.

If they feel Mayo can play third at this level and they are ready to bring him up now, it makes some sense. But it’s a lot of ifs and it certainly hurts the depth, as we really only have so much IF depth left. 

We would be better off trading one or 2 OFers vs Westburg.

31 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Why wouldn't we want we want a better player in that role?

Why would you want to waste Westburg as a 4th IF, especially when could potentially trade him on a package to fill a weakness at SP?  Urias, a Mateo, are the types you want as backups. 

Why waste Westburg as a 4th IF, and Cowser/Kjerstad in AAA, when you could package them for a SP that we need?

I think Westburg + Cowser/Kjerstad gets Cease

or 

Westburg + Cowser/Kjerstad + Povich + Fabian gets Luzardo

We still have plenty left in the system with a slew of picks coming up. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

38 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

For this season, I don’t think it’s a huge issue to see guys rotating around.  Long term though, I think we see less and less of that…at least in terms of the core, everyday guys.

If they feel Mayo can play third at this level and they are ready to bring him up now, it makes some sense. But it’s a lot of ifs and it certainly hurts the depth, as we really only have so much IF depth left. 

We would be better off trading one or 2 OFers vs Westburg.

IMO, this makes me like the idea of Mayo at 3b even less. We know what a strong left side of the infield can do for a pitching staff. I’m not interested in an experiment now that this team is ready to win. It would be one thing if Mayo was Adrian Beltre over there, but we’d know by now if he had that potential. For my money, let him eventually take over 1b. 

Agree that I’d much rather trade 2 OFers for some pitching. 

22 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

IMO, this makes me like the idea of Mayo at 3b even less. We know what a strong left side of the infield can do for a pitching staff. I’m not interested in an experiment now that this team is ready to win. It would be one thing if Mayo was Adrian Beltre over there, but we’d know by now if he had that potential. For my money, let him eventually take over 1b. 

Agree that I’d much rather trade 2 OFers for some pitching. 

I don’t think it’s an experiment. I don’t think there’s any doubt he can play third. The question is simply, is his defense good enough to warrant leaving Gunnar off of there long term?

Gunnar is unquestionably the better third baseman…but will he unquestionably be the better SS and will Gunnar/Mayo be a better left side than Holliday/Gunnar?  That’s the issue.

For 2024, I think you can get away with things because you will move a lot of guys around. I’m not sure I buy them doing that in 2025 and beyond.

Edited by Sports Guy

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think it’s an experiment. I don’t think there’s any doubt he can play third. The question is simply, is his defense good enough to warrant leaving Gunnar off of there long term?

Gunnar is unquestionably the better third baseman…but will he unquestionably be the better SS and will Gunnar/Mayo be a better left side than Holliday/Mayo?  That’s the issue.

For 2024, I think you can get away with things because you will move a lot of guys around. I’m not sure I buy them doing that in 2025 and beyond.

Okay, I misunderstood. I thought he was still kinda “proving it” at 3rd. 

And maybe I misunderstood again, but I think the question is more like Gunnar/Holliday vs Mayo/Gunnar. I can’t envision any infield configuration that does not feature Gunnar on the left side. 

21 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Okay, I misunderstood. I thought he was still kinda “proving it” at 3rd. 

And maybe I misunderstood again, but I think the question is more like Gunnar/Holliday vs Mayo/Gunnar. I can’t envision any infield configuration that does not feature Gunnar on the left side. 

Sorry..Mistyped that. Holliday/Gunnar

Edited by Sports Guy

53 minutes ago, SoxFan3344 said:

Luzardo isn’t being traded unless Mayo or Basallo is in the deal. So if you’re saying Westburg as a 2nd piece for Luzardo, sure then yeah Marlins do it. 

Really?  You think the Marlins say no to Westburg, Kjerstad,  Povich, Bradfield?