Cole Irvin: “I’m not saying I’m in the best shape of my life”

Frobby

I think all the pitchers have learned more about factoring in the wall when they pitch since it was built. Texas in the playoffs definitely caught on quick. Lefties can pitch more inside since not most RHH have the power to crank it out to LF. 

Irvin is also a cool dude. It would be nice if he brought back his podcast that he had in Oakland. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

I'm interested to see if they let Irvin go deeper in games this year. He only threw 6 innings twice in his 12 starts, and he only threw 90+ pitches once. But that was partially because they often pulled him early, with low-ish pitch counts, even when he was doing well. 

• June 10: 5.1 IP, 1 ER, 72 pitches
  • July 2: 5 IP, 1 ER, 82 pitches
  • July 7: 6.1 IP, 1 ER, 84 pitches
  • Aug 12: 5 IP, 0 ER, 67 pitches
  • Aug 19: 5 IP, 1 ER, 77 pitches

Maybe this is the best way to use him, avoiding third time through the order penalty against the opposing RH sluggers. But I wonder if he could earn more trust this year with a stronger start to the season. 

36 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Because he was a valuable asset to the team. 

No argument there, especially late in the year. But I'm sure he would have liked to have stuck in the rotation out of the gate, so in that way, it didn't go as planned for him or us. 

I'm looking forward to seeing him pitch, I think he's going to be solid.

I feel like every pitcher who ever gets in shape ends up basically being worse.  Didn't help CC.  Didn't really help El Sid.  There are others but they aren't at the top of mind at the moment.  Now, maybe with the pitch clock it could make more of a difference.  I am hoping for Irvin.

7 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I feel like every pitcher who ever gets in shape ends up basically being worse.  Didn't help CC.  Didn't really help El Sid.  There are others but they aren't at the top of mind at the moment.  Now, maybe with the pitch clock it could make more of a difference.  I am hoping for Irvin.

Stephen Strasburg.

6 hours ago, Aglets said:

Will withhold judgement until I am informed how the ball feels coming out of his hand.

Isn't there an advanced metric that measures the spin on the ball coming out of a pitcher's hand vs. the spin as the batted ball rockets past one's head?

Edited by NashLumber
apostrophe!

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lol, whatever.  If Irvin pitches well this year, he'll quickly come around on Irvin and act like he was a big fan all along.

I’m sure wildcard will tell us that Irvin has proven he can’t pitch effectively in the first half and should replace Wells when the weather warms up. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I’m sure wildcard will tell us that Irvin has proven he can’t pitch effectively in the first half and should replace Wells when the weather warms up. 

Part of his problem with Irvin was that he pitched better in Oakland than on the road.