Agree or Disagree: We MUST add 1 more starting pitcher....

DocJJ

by trade or FA signing....

I think we must add one.  Injuries happen.  Even if a pitcher is lucky enough to avoid a serious injury, there are always tweaks and minor things that cause starters to miss a start here and there, even things like finger blisters.  Second, beyond Wells and Irwin there aren't any starters with track records. We'd be forced to go with Zimmerman, Povich, McDermott, or Seth Johnson....

• Upvote 1

I think we'd all feel more comfortable if we did, and I'm not sure what Lorenzen's asking price or projected contract is, but he seems to make a lot of sense for us. Even if (and I'm leaning towards that being a pretty big if) Means and Bradish come back fully healthy this year, that doesn't mean that Lorenzen is a wasted acquisition. Guys need rest, and guys miss starts all the time. I don't want to be part of a 6 man rotation, but I think the likelihood of facing that scenario at any point this year is pretty small.

Bradish and Means are both total question marks at this point so I can't really see how anyone could possibly disagree.

It doesn't necessarily need to be Snell or Cease, but they obviously need to add someone so that we aren't opening the season with both Wells and Irvin in the rotation and Zimmerman and McDermott as the fallbacks.

14 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

I think we must add one.  Injuries happen.  Even if a pitcher is lucky enough to avoid a serious injury, there are always tweaks and minor things that cause starters to miss a start here and there, even things like finger blisters.  Second, beyond Wells and Irwin there aren't any starters with track records. We'd be forced to go with Zimmerman, Povich, McDermott, or Seth Johnson....

Whose Irwin?

Disagree that we must. Take a look at what the Braves got out of their 5th starters last year. Even if a black hole opens up in that 5th spot, it's not a death knell for this team's competitiveness.

But, agree that we should.

How many threads do we need about adding another pitcher?

Of course the answer is NO if the wording is MUST.  And we aren't adding one regardless, at this point - at least, its highly unlikely we do before the season starts.

• Upvote 3

Really hard to say without knowing more about the prognosis for Means and especially Bradish. If it is realistic to get 100 innings of Bradish with him healthy heading into the playoffs, then we can probably get by. If he is realistically done for the year, then yeah, we probably need someone. 

Even if Means and Bradish pitch zero innings, we could possibly get by with a solid bullpen arm, which would allow Wells to pitch as a starter. 

48 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

I think it is an easy disagree the way it is framed.  I'd like to have another pitcher.  I may think it is a must at the trading deadline.  I wouldn't be shocked to see one soon even by opening day.  But no.  I do not think it is a must.

• Upvote 1