The Kjerstad/Cowser spring competition

Frobby

It’s possible that neither Kjerstad nor Cowser will earn an OD roster spot, or that both will.   But I think the greatest likelihood is that one will and one won’t.  

As of 2/28, it’s advantage Cowser, who’s looked great this spring, hitting two homers and batting .500/.700/1.500 in 10 PA.  Today’s homer traveled 428 feet.  

Kjerstad meanwhile is 1 for 11, with his one hit being a single, for an .091/.091/.091 line.  

Still miles to go, and I expect both to get 50+ PA this spring.   But I thought it would be good to have a thread devoted to that competition.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

It’s possible that neither Kjerstad nor Cowser will earn an OD roster spot, or that both will.   But I think the greatest likelihood is that one will and one won’t.  

As of 2/28, it’s advantage Cowser, who’s looked great this spring, hitting two homers and batting .500/.700/1.500 in 10 PA.  Today’s homer traveled 428 feet.  

Kjerstad meanwhile is 1 for 11, with his one hit being a single, for an .091/.091/.091 line.  

Still miles to go, and I expect both to get 50+ PA this spring.   But I thought it would be good to have a thread devoted to that competition.  

I think most importantly is that Cowser has started in CF twice.

Ultimately, I think he and Santander split time at RF, with Santander DH'ing more this season than he did last.

I’m in the camp only one can make it unless there is an injury. The only scenario where both can make it is if they only carry Mateo and Holliday or no other INF makes it. 

Cowser gives a better glove option potentially but he did struggle last year on both sides of the ball. Great to see him get off to a good start with bat. 

This team has so many nice problems. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The idea that this is even a discussion is really awful.

Both should be on the team, both have nothing to prove in AAA and both should see significant playing time at the ML level in 2024.

Can we have a 30 man roster?

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The idea that this is even a discussion is really awful.

Both should be on the team, both have nothing to prove in AAA and both should see significant playing time at the ML level in 2024.

But it is reality.

O'Hearn and Kjerstad are redundant and roster spots are limited.

Just now, DirtyBird said:

But it is reality.

O'Hearn and Kjerstad are redundant and roster spots are limited.

No doubt it’s a reality…but it shouldn’t be. They should have made moves to ensure that it wasn’t an issue.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I know what you want but Elias is going to keep as much depth around for as long as possible. Injuries happen. 

Yep.  Competition for roster spots is good.  Depth in case of injuries is good.  

For me, it's advantage Cowser so far. I said in another thread, Cowser looks like a different player - much more confident. With the beard, he is resurrecting images of Nick  M. in my mind. One can only hope!!!! It's unfortunate that so many of our young outfielders really have nothing more to prove in AAA. It is what it is however and will be interesting to see how this all plays out. It's early. But, has been mentioned, a great problem to have.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I’m not saying to get rid of depth. I’m saying to have different depth. 

At some point Elias will be forced to make moves. He likes to raise the floor just in case a young player doesn’t play well. Keeping Mateo, Urias and O’Hearn. 

They fortunately have depth all over. Elias has things set up for another potential major trade and/or using other players to back feed the system or add bullpen depth via trade. 

Things will work themselves out. Santander being a FA at end of year is one example. They can move on from O’Hearn relatively easy. 

• Upvote 1